Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2010, 08:34 AM

9,418 posts, read 13,496,448 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
For one thing he has a terrible attitude. He's very smug and condescending.

He spent the first 8 years of his governorship dodging the media.

He supports selling infrastructure to foreign corporations.

He's well-known for putting lobbyists in charge of overseeing the groups they used to lobby for.

He tried to force a largely untested anti-HPV vaccine on every school-aged female in the state (a quid pro quo for his former chief-of-staff).

He's a career politician (25 years in Austin as a representative, ag commissioner, Lieutenant Governor, and Governor).

He'll say anything to get himself elected - he made all kinds of "securing the border" promises in '06 and then did absolutely nothing after he won re-election.

That should be enough to get you started.
What Bluescreen said. Perry is a first-class jerk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2010, 08:59 AM

4,716 posts, read 8,575,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNGL View Post
What Bluescreen said. Perry is a first-class jerk.
And pretty much the epitome of the "good ol' boy" system. At Texas Tech, he basically forced a few of the board members to resign. When a few of them spoke out against him publically, he threatened that if they didn't step down, he would sabotage any chance Tech had at getting the Tier 1 status. This is going to be my first election I'm able to vote in, and though I don't know who I'll be voting for yet, it for sure will not be Perry.

Old 01-18-2010, 12:03 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,848,488 times
But in the end he has done a pretty good job in leading texas even with his not being liked by many. Since he has come into office texas has done very well;and no politican can keep all promises really. Hutchison ssems really more of the same to me but has more thewashington connection which isn't good IMO.

Old 01-18-2010, 12:06 PM

8,605 posts, read 14,888,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
But in the end he has done a pretty good job in leading texas even with his not being liked by many. Since he has come into office texas has done very well;and no politican can keep all promises really. Hutchison ssems really more of the same to me but has more thewashington connection which isn't good IMO.
All of them are going to tell you what you want to hear and nothing more. Even Debra Medina is all hat and no cattle. Do you honestly think that, if she wins the election, she's going to get her plan to eliminate the property tax passed by the legislature? The answer is no.

Old 01-18-2010, 12:35 PM

8,746 posts, read 9,032,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westerner92 View Post
And pretty much the epitome of the "good ol' boy" system. At Texas Tech, he basically forced a few of the board members to resign. When a few of them spoke out against him publically, he threatened that if they didn't step down, he would sabotage any chance Tech had at getting the Tier 1 status. This is going to be my first election I'm able to vote in, and though I don't know who I'll be voting for yet, it for sure will not be Perry.
I heard about that, and of course was outraged by it. Perry is absolutely corrupt and is indeed the perfect example of what the "good ole boy system" entails. On top of that he is incredibly arrogant and a frequent political opportunist, no matter what the consquences to our state may be as the result of his actions. This guy has got to go. I would prefer another conservative candidate that isn't a career politician but since nobody else seems to be in the ring besides Hutchison that has a legitimate shot to beat Perry, I guess I'll vote for her.

Old 01-18-2010, 12:55 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,185,132 times
I dislike him intensely, especially after the Republican gubernatorial candidates' debate last week. (I'm not a Republican, but I wanted to hear what was said.) Instead of responding to pointed questions, he completely ignored them, falling back on his tiresome boilerplate rhetoric about how Texas is such a great place that everyone in all the other states wants to move here. He also made a slight toward Medina, stating in his final summation how glad he was that a "novice" was allowed to participate. What a jerk.

Old 01-18-2010, 06:09 PM

122 posts, read 310,394 times
He won't give a decent raise to the correctional officers because it costs too much, but keeps millions in the rainy day fund to look good to the general voters that Texas has lots of money....except for the officers protecting the state

Old 01-19-2010, 01:45 PM

4,573 posts, read 6,781,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin97 View Post
I keep seeing comments like governor "good hair" and the like. What has he done that is so egregious that many people dislike him so much?
All of the reasons in the posts above.......& he's an Aggie.

Goodhair got 39% of the vote last time. If the "Mad Gramma" & the "Kinkster" hadn't run last time he would have been defeated.

Allthough similar, I'd like to see the "Breck Girl" knock off "Goodhair".

(i don't use nicknames because I "dislike" them....but because they're all politicians....which makes them one step removed from "American Idol" contestants.)

Old 01-19-2010, 02:17 PM

7,742 posts, read 15,126,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harleytexas View Post
He won't give a decent raise to the correctional officers because it costs too much, but keeps millions in the rainy day fund to look good to the general voters that Texas has lots of money....except for the officers protecting the state
Hmm this sounds like a good thing. It is unheard of for a government to actually accumulate money and I think it is awesome.

Old 01-19-2010, 02:28 PM

7,742 posts, read 15,126,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
For one thing he has a terrible attitude. He's very smug and condescending.

He spent the first 8 years of his governorship dodging the media.

He supports selling infrastructure to foreign corporations.

He's well-known for putting lobbyists in charge of overseeing the groups they used to lobby for.

He tried to force a largely untested anti-HPV vaccine on every school-aged female in the state (a quid pro quo for his former chief-of-staff).

He's a career politician (25 years in Austin as a representative, ag commissioner, Lieutenant Governor, and Governor).

He'll say anything to get himself elected - he made all kinds of "securing the border" promises in '06 and then did absolutely nothing after he won re-election.

That should be enough to get you started.
1) Not sure what dodging the media really means. But Im not sure that matters. Does it?

2) Im against selling infrastructure, but Im ok with leasing it.

3) This could be a big problem. Has there been corruption or bad policy? Often times those people are the experts and typically the community of experts really is small. I would be more concerned about people going in the other direction

4) I understand why people want to do this. This is similar to forcing babies to get the hepatitis vaccine right when they are born (this is done right now). This is possibly as a result of pharma influence, but it could just be do gooder medical people overstepping their bounds. BTW any approved vaccine has extensive testing. Even the swine flu vaccine which probably has the least amount of testing. I thought it was stupid and probably unconstitutional, but I think I understand why people would want to do it.

5) While I generally dont like career politicians, this isnt automatically bad

6) Im all for securing the border. Who will actually do it? Isnt it the job of the fed govt? did perry keep other promises? Did he keep any?

some other people mentioned the trans texas corridor, what is the issue with that? Is it primarily being against toll roads?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas