Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2010, 06:27 PM

36 posts, read 132,469 times

Advertisements

Hi, long time lurker, first time poster!

Currently in Wilmington, southeastern North Carolina, and looking to get out, while keeping some of the things I like about here. And so far, Texas is looking mighty inviting.

I've been here reading and absorbing everything I can, but after a while it all gets a bit overwhelming, because you find something you like and then you find something you don't, and in the end it's of course impossible to truly know whether you'd like an area without visiting, but because it's such a big spread-out state it'd probably take two weeks just to adequately visit the areas I'm looking at!

So, since you folks know the areas, could I lay out what I hope to find, and get advice on which of the various communities would be most appropriate?

Some background: age 45+, empty-nesters, LDS church members. Thought about moving to SLC, but can't stand the winters and the taxes and can't afford the prices.

Here's what I love about NC: it's quite green, forested, trees and wildflowers, and a wide variety of birds and wildlife - we live on a heavily wooded lot in a subdivision and have been visited by rabbits, deer, foxes, snakes, possums, turtles, cardinals, blue jays, woodpeckers, finches, a giant nutria, etc. We're not in "the boonies", we're in a neighborhood, but it's not a cookie-cutter stamped-out subdivision. And we like the rain; it rains about 50+ inches per year here.

But it's expensive, taxes are outrageous, and the community is a bit too small-town (with all that that entails). I don't care for the humidity, but accept it as the price to pay for the greenery and wildlife.

Texas (and specifically Austin/Round Rock) keeps showing up on the "Best Places To Live" list -- which is great and all, but is it the best place for us? And if so, where?

So what we'd love to find is:
A green, lush, living, wildlife-friendly place
Someplace with a decently large LDS/"mormon" population (especially with similar-age 40-60's for befriending)
Reasonable proximity to a good-sized airport
Clean air, clean water, healthy lifestyle, family community, etc.
Low crime, low-stress.
Some place where you can open up your doors and windows and enjoy the breeze and the birds and all that.
Wooded lot, of a decent size -- 1/4 acre or up preferably

As for what we're looking to avoid: I despise winter, and desert, and am not too fond of a gossipy nosy "in-your-bidness" vibe; we're originally from out west and largely keep to ourselves, and that hasn't necessarily meshed that well with the east-coast way of things. I don't want to be in "the boonies" or "the sticks" or "hicksville" or anything like that either.

Don't need a "vibrant downtown" or anything like that, certainly don't care about the bars or clubs or whatnot, I mean, it doesn't matter if the town does have it, but if it doesn't have it that's fine too. But it'd be nice to be near a major university, or within reasonable driving distance of arts and entertainment. A large city nearby would be fine, but we don't need to be in it. We're currently 2.5 hours away from Raleigh, and that's a bit much to drive to see a concert or something; more like an hour or less would be preferable. We're empty-nesters so no real worries about school districts, etc. Of course having great schools is always a plus, for community and resale value; I'm just saying that it's not a major factor in our decision.

Not all that concerned about the job market or the commute time, but we'd love to have very-conveneint proximity to the staples of life - a well-stocked grocery store, craft stores (Michaels/Jo-Ann's), post office, UPS store, Wal-Mart/Best-Buy etc.

We'd be buying new when we decide to buy, and a master-planned community would probably be considered a plus. (and what's with it being nearly impossible to find a 3-car garage? It seems so rare there! ) I'm not in a master-planned community now, but I have been before, and I like the idea of a well-thought-out community with reasonable access to what you want/need. I don't like the spot-zoning that plagues some high-growth communities, where you might buy a new house only to find a giant Target store pops up literally in your back yard (happened to my sister in Vegas).

I've been to Austin, love the UTA Longhorns, but the impression I got is that the city seems a bit too hipster/Starbucks/beatnik/Seattle for my taste, but maybe a suburb like Cedar Park or Round Rock or Pflugerville... from what I read, it seems great. Fort Worth seems promising as well, and I like the proximity to the major airport and the LDS temple, and the TCU Horned Frogs. I hear great things about Sugar Land, it seems promising but a lot more expensive - is it better for us? If it's better, I'd spend the difference, but I like the lower housing costs of the Round Rock/west Fort Worth areas.

We'll be visiting in March for business, and I'd like to extend the trip to see some of these areas, but if there's any obvious factors I've missed which would rule any of them out, or any overwhelming bonus factors I may not be aware of, that would really help us to make the best usage of the limited time we'll have.

Any other areas? Keller? Weatherford? Grapevine? Flower Mound?

Any help greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2010, 07:08 PM

9,273 posts, read 26,371,842 times
I would think The Woodlands would fit your needs in the Houston area over Sugarland. It's a piney forest where they haven't clear cut it. Sugarland is a prarie where some people plant trees.

But I really recommend you take a look at Tyler Texas. 90 minutes east of Dallas.

Old 01-31-2010, 07:25 PM

5,289 posts, read 7,581,577 times
Yes, the Woodlands sounds like what you are describing. It's large suburb north of Houston very close to the Houston Int'l Airport.

If you are looking at Sugar Land then you should also look at Katy. Similar suburb to Sugar Land west of Houston. Lots of master planned communities with amenities.

But for a forested lot you'll want to check out the Woodlands.

Austin is semi-arid plains. It is not going to be particularly green, especially compared to the Houston area.

Old 01-31-2010, 08:43 PM

3,702 posts, read 18,148,775 times
I'm with EA on this one. I was thinking Tyler from your description but the Woodlands would work too and is a bit closer to a big city.

Old 01-31-2010, 08:53 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,583,942 times
Somewhere around Houston, especially looking for green and lush. Most of the mormon/LDS people I know live in the Houston area. My SIL is mormon and they live in Katy. Another friend of mine lives in the Clear Lake, Tx area.

Old 01-31-2010, 10:15 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,776,017 times
If you look into Sugar Land, you might like Sugar Creek. It's an established master-planned with a lot of mature trees, and convenient. You might also like some of the older subdivisions in Sugar Land off US 90 near Brooks St. But that's correct, Sugar Land is not as forested as The Woodlands... not many places are. But the 30-40+ year old subdivisions in Sugar Land have been growing trees for all of that time, in addition to some that were already there, so the "prairie" look really only applies to the brand-new subdivisions.

I agree with others, the eastern part of Texas probably has more of the lushness and greenery you are looking for. Definitely look around Montgomery County (north of Houston.)

You probably just need to make a few trips to look at all of these places you mention and get a feel for which you like best...

Old 01-31-2010, 10:49 PM

49 posts, read 125,145 times
First thing, Go Frogs!

Fort Worth (Tarrant County) certainly has many possibilities for you. Lot of rich suburbs in NE Tarrant, but there are plenty of more affordable areas through Fort Worth.

The Woodlands is completely different from Sugar Land I would say. I lived there for some time and never had to go very far for anything. As for trees, they are trying to build some parks.

Old 02-01-2010, 12:50 PM

5,289 posts, read 7,581,577 times
Conroe and Lake Conroe would also be worth a look. The town of Conroe is just north of the Woodlands and is more of a regular town compared to the Woodlands with is a GIANT master-planned community. There are also lots of nice areas along Lake Conroe. You're getting to be 1+ hour drive to central Houston from there sans traffic so not where one would want to commute from. But a nice area.

Old 02-01-2010, 02:55 PM

4,604 posts, read 8,197,413 times
I'd agree, the Woodlands sounds like a strong contender. Having said that, consider continuing on north as far as Huntsville and from a Woodlands/Huntsville boundary look to the east, a little north, as far as Lufkin/Nacogdoches or further, maybe to Toledo Bend and the Louisiana border.

You'll probly find more North Carolina there than you thought possible.

Old 02-01-2010, 03:44 PM

882 posts, read 2,236,069 times
Try looking at the Woodlands, I know, who hasn't said it, but it fits your description nicely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas