Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2010, 07:58 AM

1,445 posts, read 3,268,154 times

Advertisements

So you are basically telling me that people in North Dallas are more "plastiky" (as you say) versus people in Austin? That is completely rediculous. Did it ever occur to you that the REAL money is in North Dallas and its burbs. When people have lots and lots of money, they tend to buy nice things, like really nice cars. In Austin, there is very LITTLE money, but people try to buy the nicest pickup they can to make everyone else jealous. I can't believe you are considered "fake" if you have a lot of money and buy nice things. That is crazy.

If people have money, LET EM SPEND IT!! Who cares? People in Austin couldn't possibly understand areas of true whealth and power that is associated with huge areas like North Dallas. People in Dallas have something to be proud of. People in Austin do not. More like ashamed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by getmeoutofhere View Post
As many have said, both offer different things. Austin is smaller, and rabidly proud to the point of being obnoxious about how "weird" it is. It really isn't. There isn't much special at all about, except for UT.

Dallas is very "plasticky", where the ladies all dress up and do their hair to hop in their Mercedes-Benz (the AMG version, look how special I am, I can spend $140K on a car!) to go shopping at Neiman-Marcus and be "seen".

Both are pretty liberal.

Dallas is much bigger than Austin, so for many that is a deciding factor.

Dallas has the edge in art and culture, simply due to its size.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2010, 08:03 AM

That is absolutely untrue. Large SUV's are and always will be horrible polluters of the environment. Yes, older vehicles pollute a lot as well, but the fact remains that newer model cars will ALWAYS be more efficient than SUV's and trucks. Yes, I will agree that Houston has lots of giant vehicles like Austin and SA, but north Dallas is a little more like the rest of the nation. Obviousy my friend, you don't travel much. I routinely goto Dallas and Houston and can tell you without a shadow of a doubt that North Dallas by far has the most cars of any major Texas cities. Perhaps people in North Dallas (and the rest of the country) actually care about the environment more than your beloved Austin?? Who knows??

But please don't feed me bs lines about how a Chevy Tahoe pollutes less than a TYPICAL MBZ. You are rediculous sir.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
I still cannot believe eepstein continues to live in Austin since he absolutely despises it. I guess though he likes and values his job more.

I have no axe to grind with Dallas. I know it works for people.

eepstein rants about the same things over and over - and most of it is his own perspective, not objective by any standard.

Facts:

Per capita violent crime is lower in Austin and has been for years. It is also steady, not going up. Based on 2008 data, Dallas' murder rate is 4 times as high as Austin.

United States cities by crime rate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

As for "green" concerns, both cities have improving air quality, but Austin clearly has fewer unhealthy days:

http://www.epa.gov/cgi-bin/broker?_s...ycounty=county

One measure of "green" is the city's "sustainability" rating. Dallas scores 24th to Austin's 13th.

Dallas - 2008 US Cities Sustainability Ranking by SustainLane.com

Austin - 2008 US Cities Sustainability Ranking by SustainLane.com

eepstein likes to claim that Austin is somehow full of gas guzzlers. That makes almost no sense at all - Texas is the land of big vehicles in general. But he refuses to acknowledge that Austin has the highest per capita sales of hybrids in Texas. Austin is the only Texas city in the top 15. Dallas buys more hybrids - but I hope so since it is 3 times larger than Austin. He also doesn't seem to understand that the V8 in the S-class Mercedes so popular with the north Dallas (or Austin Westlake) crowd pollutes just as much as a Chevy Tahoe.

September 2009 Dashboard: End of Clunkers Hurts Hybrids | Hybrid Cars

Dallas has many things Austin doesn't have. If those things are important to you - Dallas may be a better choice. But don't rely on eepstein to help you make a choice.

Old 02-08-2010, 08:39 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,176,487 times
eepstein - you should become more familiar with the EPA website. It reports fuel economy and pollution data for just about every car. It shows hydrocarbon emissions and overall pollution ratings.

You are scientifically challenged. A M-B V8 or Lexus V8 is not meaningfully different than a GM or Ford engine of similar size. I didn't say a Tahoe pollutes less - I said it not really any different than an S-class MB.

In other posts you are derogatory towards people of lesser means - such as those that live in Hutto or other suburbs of Austin. You seem to be enamored of wealthy people.

As for wealth in Austin - I see exotic cars every week on my commute (unless it is raining). Ferraris, Aston Martin, Lamborghini, even Maybach. I guess those beautiful homes on Lake Austin and Lake Travis aren't real.

Old 02-08-2010, 11:50 AM

I never said there aren't some nice, rich parts of Austin. However, there are some many more in Dallas--per capita income in North Dallas and burbs blows Austin away by leaps and bounds. Want stats sir? Take a look at the stats of places like Highland Village, Plano, Frisco, and other parts of North Dallas. Aint no comparison sir. Yes, I do like nice areas--but some people like crappy areas east of 35--to each his own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
eepstein - you should become more familiar with the EPA website. It reports fuel economy and pollution data for just about every car. It shows hydrocarbon emissions and overall pollution ratings.

You are scientifically challenged. A M-B V8 or Lexus V8 is not meaningfully different than a GM or Ford engine of similar size. I didn't say a Tahoe pollutes less - I said it not really any different than an S-class MB.

In other posts you are derogatory towards people of lesser means - such as those that live in Hutto or other suburbs of Austin. You seem to be enamored of wealthy people.

As for wealth in Austin - I see exotic cars every week on my commute (unless it is raining). Ferraris, Aston Martin, Lamborghini, even Maybach. I guess those beautiful homes on Lake Austin and Lake Travis aren't real.

Old 02-08-2010, 12:13 PM

659 posts, read 1,376,747 times
There's definitely more to DFW than Austin, which is really over hyped.

Old 02-08-2010, 12:40 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,162,235 times
AND Houston inner loop and central Dallas have a lot of areas which are really more Austin than Austin - plus the advantages of being major world cities.

The "Keep Dallas Plastic" canard originated in these hip, laid-back friendly areas to poke fun at the other areas

Old 02-08-2010, 01:25 PM

5,673 posts, read 7,452,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
AND Houston inner loop and central Dallas have a lot of areas which are really more Austin than Austin - plus the advantages of being major world cities.

The "Keep Dallas Plastic" canard originated in these hip, laid-back friendly areas to poke fun at the other areas
Lakewooder i always agree with you.With that being said I do think that austin will eventually be the city that they are already hyping up(too early) but as of right now...to me Austin can only be compared to certin NEIGHBORHOODS in Dallas...Not Dallas as a whole.

Old 02-08-2010, 01:40 PM

2,089 posts, read 3,907,034 times
Houston is an open sewer and the Metroplex is a flat-souless place - amazing that a combined 11 million people live in those dumps.

Old 02-08-2010, 01:51 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,176,487 times
I have no beef with Dallas. Just eepstein and his made-up stories about Austin.

He is a snob. He wants to live in McKinney or Frisco or some place like that but is stuck in an Austin suburb. And because he is miserable, he makes up stories about Austin.

Collin county is one the top 100 richest counties in the US. Good for them!

Old 02-08-2010, 02:42 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,162,235 times
A lot of great souls in the rolling hills
between White Rock Lake
and Downtown Dallas -
I grew up with them!

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas