Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2010, 07:22 AM

5,642 posts, read 15,709,092 times

Advertisements

I know he lived his teen years in Texas, but it says that he was distressed about living here. However, in several of his interviews, he stated how Texas was one of this favorite places to tour.

What gives? He's one of my favorite singers
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2010, 08:21 AM

10,239 posts, read 19,603,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasNick View Post
I know he lived his teen years in Texas, but it says that he was distressed about living here. However, in several of his interviews, he stated how Texas was one of this favorite places to tour.

What gives? He's one of my favorite singers

Interesting thread/post, TexasNick!

In fact, there was a mention of this on a local radio station (which plays the "oldies") a while back. That is, that he lived in my hometown for a while (Wichita Falls) when his dad was stationed at the local AFB (Sheppard).

The song "Rocky Mountain High" was said to be pretty much an "autobiography". (That line..."coming home to a place he'd never been before.."). My guess is that he just adopted Colorado as his true home and fell into the mindset that many natives of that state have...which is they don't -- as a general rule -- care much for Texas!

My fiance' is a Colorado native and confirms that she -- and most she knew growing up -- shared into it all. That is, Texans were generally considered to be blowhard braggarts and talked funny. And thought they invented the cowboy (she was on the drill team for her high school and in the Rodeo Club)

Of course, we laugh about it all these days, and she is the first to say she has fallen in love with Texas/South now. BUT...during her younger years, if the subject of Texas/Texans came up, it wasn't likely to be complimentary! LOL

I figure it would only make good sense for John Denver to say Texas was one of his favorite places to tour (after all, he likely made a good living doing so! LOL)...but really had some issues with it.

*remembering* What year was it that the Cowboys played the Bronco's in the SuperBowl? Was it '77 or '78? Anyway, he attended the game and was interviewed before it all started. He made no secret of where his loyalties were...and it wasn't our glorious boys in blue and silver-gray!

Still, like you, I always enjoyed his tunes and style. In fact, back when I wore a younger man's clothes, I had the somewhat dubious honor of being told I resembled him a bit...what with my blond hair and glasses (when I wore them). If the girl in question liked and/or had a crush on Denver, then it worked to my advantage, doncha know?

If she didnt? Then fergit it, boy!

Old 02-06-2010, 09:00 AM

12,918 posts, read 16,861,079 times
Because he was a very mainstream singer. He wrote for the masses. Texas was not considered a "cool" place in the 70's.

Old 02-06-2010, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
Because he was a very mainstream singer. He wrote for the masses. Texas was not considered a "cool" place in the 70's.
Good point, OR.

At the same time, within a certain genre of music, it (Texas/South) was considered "cool." I mean, the 70's was also the era of "Southern Rock" and "Outlaw Country" music. With singers/groups such as Lynryd Skynyrd, ZZ Top, Charlie Daniels Band, Marshall Tucker, Allman Brothers, etc. And of course, Waylon, Willie, David Allen Coe. Hank Williams Jr., Jerry Jeff Walker and all. '

But then again, maybe those chart hits produced were more "regional" than national...

Old 02-06-2010, 05:11 PM

23,015 posts, read 34,378,820 times
Because Texas is boring Sorry Texas lovers, but to me it is.
I can relate to coming home to a place I've never been before too, that's how I felt on my first trip to North Carolina.

Old 02-06-2010, 05:59 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,861,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
Good point, OR.

At the same time, within a certain genre of music, it (Texas/South) was considered "cool." I mean, the 70's was also the era of "Southern Rock" and "Outlaw Country" music. With singers/groups such as Lynryd Skynyrd, ZZ Top, Charlie Daniels Band, Marshall Tucker, Allman Brothers, etc. And of course, Waylon, Willie, David Allen Coe. Hank Williams Jr., Jerry Jeff Walker and all. '

But then again, maybe those chart hits produced were more "regional" than national...
Thanks. He obviously loved Colorado more than Texas. Personally, I could never live in a cooler climate. Plus, I don't like the mountains.

I've heard that southern rock had a big effect on the direction of rock music in the 70's. Allmans, LynSkyn, etc.

Old 02-06-2010, 06:01 PM

5,642 posts, read 15,709,092 times
It's true, there ARE better places to visit than Texas. However, to live? I'm not sure. I sure as h*ll consider British Columbia a one-of-a-kind place with no equal and I'm puzzled why he never sang about that place, as well! I don't blame Denver for his love affair with Colorado, Alaska etc...however, he saw a very different place than it is today.

He did get the Yellowstone right.

Now, don't look at my post as a letdown. Americans are very very fortunate to have a National Park system like no other place in the world. We set the bar for the rest of the world to follow. I did a stint with Yellowstone and was blown away by the waiting list of Asians that want to come to America and live and work in our parks. We truly have something special in every state.

Old 02-06-2010, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
Because Texas is boring Sorry Texas lovers, but to me it is.I can relate to coming home to a place I've never been before too, that's how I felt on my first trip to North Carolina.

Get a rope and some Pace Picante Sauce. We'll see how boring Texas is...

(Just joking ILNC...you are good people! )

Old 02-06-2010, 08:13 PM

23,015 posts, read 34,378,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
Get a rope and some Pace Picante Sauce. We'll see how boring Texas is...

(Just joking ILNC...you are good people! )
Sounds like fun

Old 02-06-2010, 09:05 PM

1,488 posts, read 5,237,271 times
John Denver (before he was John Denver) was a student at Texas Tech when I was. He and a few other guys had a little band they called "The Hot Nuts" and they played at dances, etc around campus. He was well-liked and seemed happy enough to be there at the time. I lived in Colorado for a few years and, altho Texas was home before that time and after that time, I would have been happy to stay there forever so I understood his song. The way you feel about a place is often tied to what stage of life you are in at the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas