Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2010, 06:02 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,947,295 times

Advertisements

Are there any anti-discrimination laws in schools and colleges that protect gays?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2010, 09:37 PM

3,565 posts, read 4,866,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
Are there any anti-discrimination laws in schools and colleges that protect gays?
Never heard of that. But they don't need it anyway, since they are protected under the law. I think it's even a hate crime. Not sure about that, but I believe they signed it into law a few years ago.

Old 02-11-2010, 10:40 PM

867 posts, read 2,977,323 times
I attend a very conservative public university in East Texas, and I have to say that us liberals are making in-roads in Texas universities. Laws protecting them aside, the LGBT crowd is fast developing even at conservative institutions! I wouldn't worry about it.

Old 02-12-2010, 01:08 AM

Um no. Gays and lesbians should worry. Especially in east Texas. Let's be real. And liberals are usually limousine liberals. They talk a bunch o' crap and then don't practice what they preach.

In colleges most students self-segregate. Forget about being friends with tons of gays, lesbians, and trannies. "It's against Jesus".

Here is some evidence to prove you wrong:

UNT students vote against gay prom king and queen couples. UNT is a top liberal arts college.

http://www.star-telegram.com/news/story/1784653.html (broken link)

UT Austin has segregated gays into their own fraternity. Does that mean we can now segregate blacks and practicing Jews into their own frats?

http://current.com/items/89518169_ut...fraternity.htm

"Members complained that a lot of fraternities exclude gays at UT."

The campus administration doesn't force the frats to integrate with the few gay students that wanted in. So they just segregate the gay students into an isolated group.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphalogica View Post
I attend a very conservative public university in East Texas, and I have to say that us liberals are making in-roads in Texas universities. Laws protecting them aside, the LGBT crowd is fast developing even at conservative institutions! I wouldn't worry about it.

Last edited by artsyguy; 02-12-2010 at 01:25 AM..

Old 02-12-2010, 01:10 AM

It is not a hate crime. Ughhhh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XodoX View Post
Never heard of that. But they don't need it anyway, since they are protected under the law. I think it's even a hate crime. Not sure about that, but I believe they signed it into law a few years ago.

Old 02-12-2010, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
It is not a hate crime. Ughhhh.

Quote:
The Matthew Shepard Act, officially the Matthew Shepard and James Byrd, Jr. Hate Crimes Prevention Act, is an Act of Congress, passed on October 22, 2009,[1] and was signed into law by President Barack Obama on October 28, 2009,[2] as a rider to the National Defense Authorization Act for 2010 (H.R. 2647). This measure expands the 1969 United States federal hate-crime law to include crimes motivated by a victim's actual or perceived gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, or disability.[3]
Matthew Shepard Act - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Texas had state hate crime law protecting them, since they attached it to a bill that couldn't wait. At least that's what I think. It's been some years. That is what I was tring to say. I realize that there's no actual "anit discrimination" law in that sense. That's called "freedom of speech".

Old 02-12-2010, 07:25 AM

1,534 posts, read 2,771,609 times
Its complicated. The University of Texas at Austin has an anti discrimination rider that includes sexual orientation. Division of Diversity and Community Engagement - Gender and Sexuality Center - FAQs - Sexuality Issues (http://www.utexas.edu/diversity/ddce/gsc/faqsexualityissues.php - broken link)

However, LGBTQ faculty and staff are discriminated against in the sense that the university refuses to provide any domestic partner benefits - health insurance etc that are provided to heterosexual couples.
Domestic Partner Benefits for the University of Texas at Austin NOW! Petition

The gay fraternity is a self-selecting group and part of a national fraternity, like most fraternities. Fraternities often own their own buildings near campus and university jurisdiction over them is uneven and uncertain. Exclusion from a fraternity on grounds of sexual orientation - not that I know of any such case on the U.T. campus may or may not be actionable under the anti-discrimination provision.

I would say for most college students, sexuality is not much of an issue and the students are generally way more accepting than let's say the state legislature of Texas.

Old 02-12-2010, 10:38 AM

That dosen't really mean anything. Doesn't it just apply to events sponsored by the University? They won't say "no gays allowed" anyway. Violent discrimination is just covered under state/federal law and anti-gay stuff falls under our beloved "freedom of speech".

Old 02-12-2010, 11:41 AM

1,534 posts, read 2,771,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by XodoX View Post
That dosen't really mean anything. Doesn't it just apply to events sponsored by the University? They won't say "no gays allowed" anyway. Violent discrimination is just covered under state/federal law and anti-gay stuff falls under our beloved "freedom of speech".
I don't know how discriminating against LGBTQ faculty and staff in terms of domestic partner benefits is covered by freedom of speech ???

Old 02-12-2010, 01:06 PM

108 posts, read 367,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homeinatx View Post
I don't know how discriminating against LGBTQ faculty and staff in terms of domestic partner benefits is covered by freedom of speech ???
I'm wondering what the "Q" in LGBTQ meant for you?
I thought it was just LGBT
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
View detailed profiles of: