Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2010, 03:33 PM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,679,286 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LifesMetaphor View Post
Hi there,
First I would like to say that I don't hate Texas or even dislike it--It's just different from what I'm used to.
I moved to Dallas from the east coast. Been here for 7 months or so. I'm of European and Latino background.
People in the east coast not only accept, but they embrace ethnic diversity, which is very different from what I've experienced in Dallas.
Over here people are polite, which is great, I wouldn't even say they are racist at all, but they are just not embracing of other cultures--not interested in them, no effort to integrate or learn about them.
In the east coast people love others of different cultures. I felt very welcomed there. We always had festivals with food, dance and art from different countries and everyone would go--white, black, asian, latino.
Once in a while there are festivals in Dallas as well but they are much smaller and if it's for example, an Asian festival, 99% of people there are Asian. No one seems interested in other people's cultures.
This has hit me very hard as I had friends from all ethnic backgrounds back home. All of a sudden I've also become aware of my ethnicity and feel like I don't belong. I've tried hard to make friends but because I don't fit into any ethnic group since I'm very mixed, it's been hard to do so. Latinos stick with Latinos, Anglos stick with Anglos, etc.
To top it off, the culture here seems to be that, unless you are the cheerleader looking type (caucasian, blonde, blue eyes), you're considered ugly. In the east coast, once again, people love the exotic look and I'm afraid those are even favored over caucasian. So not only do I feel alone in Dallas, I feel ugly.
I've become so depressed that I'm taking anti-depressants just to make it through the day.
I don't have a choice to move to another state---I have to stay in Texas because of my husband's job. I was hoping, however, that Texas might have another city (Houston?) that is more ethnically diverse and culturally embracing than Dallas?
Please Dallas readers, don't get upset. I don't dislike Dallas. It's just different.

Thanks to anyone who helps.
I recommend trying Houston for all the reasons previously mentioned in the thread. Just keep in mind atxcio's post. It was spot-on in regards to how you will have to expect to endure the culture shock and then embrace some measure of 'Texanness' before adjusting well to life in any Texas city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2010, 03:47 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,728,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostoner View Post
She must be talking about this time of year, rodeo time. That's the ONLY time of year I ever saw people walking around town dressed as cowboys. And maybe it is common in the oil industry, according to LANative. I don't doubt his experiences, but it's not one I had in all my years of living in Houston. I never saw this downtown jeans and boots crowd he refers to either when I worked there (at the library). Business casual and jeans, yes, but not the boots.
Bear in mind that I did specify that I felt it was that way on a "professional" level. When I went to the skyscrapers downtown to visit oil and energy companies, I saw lots of boots and jeans.

On the street or at the clubs, I never saw it.

Old 03-01-2010, 03:57 PM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,679,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
Bear in mind that I did specify that I felt it was that way on a "professional" level. When I went to the skyscrapers downtown to visit oil and energy companies, I saw lots of boots and jeans.

On the street or at the clubs, I never saw it.
Gotcha. I'm thinking it may be only that industry where that Texas cowboy image is commonly accepted as professional attire, which makes sense, I guess. IMO, it's corny as hell, but hey, it's Texas... whatcha gonna do?

Old 03-01-2010, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostoner View Post
Gotcha. I'm thinking it may be only that industry where that Texas cowboy image is commonly accepted as professional attire, which makes sense, I guess. IMO, it's corny as hell, but hey, it's Texas... whatcha gonna do?
Its certainly not a complaint. If people want to wear the PJ's to work it doesnt bother me at all.

Im from California. Its all good to me!

Old 03-06-2010, 07:40 PM

26 posts, read 58,653 times
I think you'd absolutely love Austin, especially the west-northwest side & the downtown, central area. Very culturally open, liberal & laid-back. It's an upbeat, educated and pretty city. Lots going on there. Has a progressive, upscale yet "down-to earth" vibe.

Old 03-06-2010, 08:17 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,931,506 times
Are you sure you are not talking about Fort Worth?? Fort Worth is pretty slow. Dallas not so much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Well yeah and I don't mean Dallas to be country like say Mexia. But that is slower in pace and more laid back like a larger town. Dallas to me always felt like a larger Waco or Tyler while Houston felt like a larger Metarie or Naperville.

Old 03-06-2010, 09:52 PM

522 posts, read 1,405,099 times
Don't have much experience with Dallas since my family lives in the Arlington/Ft. Worth area and they have no problems mingling with other ethnic groups (we don't tend to date or marry our own).

But yeah, either tough it out or consider moving to Houston. Houston has a lot of cultural stuff. I wouldn't say that just because other people don't show up for cultural stuff doesn't mean they're not interested. Perhaps, it's nothing new to them, and they've seen/experience these things before, especially if it's done every year. That's something to think about. The other thing is, maybe they just don't have the time.
I'm Asian-American born and raised in Texas and I've never once felt segregated or that I couldn't fit in anywhere. I'll be honest, I actually feel more comfortable around other races/ethnic group than around my own. I feel like they see me for me, and not my race or ethnic background (like how it is many times when you stick to your own group of people). I'm free to just be myself, there's no emphasis on my ethnicity (don't get me wrong, I'm very proud of my heritage). I find that hanging out with groups of other Asians I get looked at strangely and judge for not "being Asian enough". What the hell does that even mean?

Coming from Austin, I would not recommend it. It's a great place, very liberal, open minded, etc. But in terms of ethnic diversity, there's not a whole lot of it. No where near what Houston has. Austin only just recently got a Chinatown and it's not very big, or busy for that matter. It also looks like that place might get shut down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LifesMetaphor View Post
Hi there,
First I would like to say that I don't hate Texas or even dislike it--It's just different from what I'm used to.
I moved to Dallas from the east coast. Been here for 7 months or so. I'm of European and Latino background.
People in the east coast not only accept, but they embrace ethnic diversity, which is very different from what I've experienced in Dallas.
Over here people are polite, which is great, I wouldn't even say they are racist at all, but they are just not embracing of other cultures--not interested in them, no effort to integrate or learn about them.
In the east coast people love others of different cultures. I felt very welcomed there. We always had festivals with food, dance and art from different countries and everyone would go--white, black, asian, latino.
Once in a while there are festivals in Dallas as well but they are much smaller and if it's for example, an Asian festival, 99% of people there are Asian. No one seems interested in other people's cultures.
This has hit me very hard as I had friends from all ethnic backgrounds back home. All of a sudden I've also become aware of my ethnicity and feel like I don't belong. I've tried hard to make friends but because I don't fit into any ethnic group since I'm very mixed, it's been hard to do so. Latinos stick with Latinos, Anglos stick with Anglos, etc.
To top it off, the culture here seems to be that, unless you are the cheerleader looking type (caucasian, blonde, blue eyes), you're considered ugly. In the east coast, once again, people love the exotic look and I'm afraid those are even favored over caucasian. So not only do I feel alone in Dallas, I feel ugly.
I've become so depressed that I'm taking anti-depressants just to make it through the day.
I don't have a choice to move to another state---I have to stay in Texas because of my husband's job. I was hoping, however, that Texas might have another city (Houston?) that is more ethnically diverse and culturally embracing than Dallas?
Please Dallas readers, don't get upset. I don't dislike Dallas. It's just different.

Thanks to anyone who helps.

Old 03-06-2010, 11:31 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,979,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MdTexas View Post
If you are seeking culture then try San Antonio out ( another very underrated city ). San Antonio has a strong Hispanic influence and it is the most visited city in Texas ( tourist wise ).
San Antonio is an underrated city. Its "culture" is sadly limited to the touristy spots in downtown though. My other gripe is its not very diverse & is lacking a decent night life for a city its size.

Out of all Texas cities, Houston just gives off that bigger city vibe with its gigantic skyline/s, 18+ lane wide freeways, & its bursting at the seams with diversity. Dallas has less of all that, yet feels slightly more urban in a way, even though its not as dense as Houston is.

Last edited by Metro Matt; 03-06-2010 at 11:43 PM..

Old 03-07-2010, 07:12 AM

5,976 posts, read 15,264,045 times
Default Houston

Houston is one of the most diverse cities in North America. Houston also has a big cultural scene.. Symphony, Ballet, etc. Connections to all continents via the 6th busiest airport in the world.

Old 03-07-2010, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HookTheBrotherUp View Post
Houston is one of the most diverse cities in North America. Houston also has a big cultural scene.. Symphony, Ballet, etc. Connections to all continents via the 6th busiest airport in the world.
Houston is not the 6th busiest airport in the world, its the 17th busiest airport in the world. DFW is the 8th busiest in the world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas