Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2010, 11:44 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,739,757 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpmeads View Post
If we're going to classify entire cities and suburbs to stereotypes, I always thought the northern "white" neighborhoods and suburbs of Dallas fit more into yuppie Orange Country stereotype then being redneck. Denton, for example, is suppose to be a pretty big hipster college town while McKinney seems to be to be more of a cliche yuppie suburbia rather then redneck.
McKinney and Denton are anything but redneck. Both are very artsy towns.

Not to say there arent redneck communities in those areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2010, 11:57 AM

2,023 posts, read 4,187,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
McKinney and Denton are anything but redneck. Both are very artsy towns.

Not to say there arent redneck communities in those areas.
I think because its Texas, people automatically assume the cities that have a white majority must be redneck. I wonder how many people would consider Austin to be redneck for that reason?

Old 02-17-2010, 12:06 PM

8,376 posts, read 30,697,976 times
Quote:
I wonder how many people would consider Austin to be redneck for that reason?
I'm sure just as many outsiders would think that.

But it holds some truth there; just go into the non-affluent parts of the hill country. Accents from some people there can be so thick you'd think it was some kind of Creole.

Old 02-17-2010, 12:08 PM

2,023 posts, read 4,187,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post
I'm sure just as many outsiders would think that.

But it holds some truth there; just go into the non-affluent parts of the hill country. Accents from some people there can be so thick you'd think it was some kind of Creole.
Oh I know. I spent 10 excruciating months in Burnet, TX.

Old 02-17-2010, 05:06 PM

17 posts, read 50,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homeinatx View Post
The DFW metroplex is so sprawled out that where you live makes a huge difference. From your post, it sounds to me like you are in the northern suburbs of Dallas, which along with the western suburbs of Houston and the northern burbs of Austin are MY idea of Texas purgatory, i.e. where God prepares mostly white people for Hell. It is hot enough and the nearest store is usually a Walmart and the nearest restaurant an Olive Garden or equivalent. Pretty good preparation if you ask me. There are many Dallas city neighborhoods which have more diversity and some urbanity - south of the Park Cities to East Dallas and North Oak Cliff. Many neighborhoods inside the 610 loop in Houston would also feel more congenial - i.e. not blonde domination zones. To my mind downtown Austin is increasingly the most urban residential neighborhood in the state, and south central and east central Austin could also work. But if the job is in Dallas, kick the pills and move to Oaklawn, Uptown, Lower Greenville, Deep Ellum, Lakewood, North Oak Cliff or adjacent neighborhoods. There are places in Dallas with pedestrian life, a variety of good "ethnic" restaurants and that actually feel like you are living in the 4th largest MSA in the U.S., as opposed to let's say Plano. It won't be Manhattan or the near North side of Chicago, but you could be happier! Good luck!
You are a racist.

Did you ever stop and consider the reason whites want to live with other whites is to avoid the gangs and crime?

Old 02-17-2010, 05:17 PM

9,418 posts, read 13,494,612 times
homeinantx is the racist? Are you kidding me?

Old 02-17-2010, 05:34 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,155,936 times
Lakewood is not liberal in the sense you may think. There are a lot of conservatives and folks of every stripe there, including a large contingent of liberals - which you probably are not going to find up in CoCo land. The difference is we all get along, don't fight and actually enjoy differing points of view. Lakewood has some of the best schools in the nation, so you are also misinformed about that -- didn't you see this? Best Place for Families | Best Old House Neighborhoods 2010 | Photos | Home & Real Estate | This Old House

a haven for families looking to eschew traditional suburban living. That's thanks in part to Woodrow Wilson High School, "one of the best examples of an inner-city high school in the country," according to one resident (and Newsweek magazine). The school provides a top-notch education, as well as entertainment for Junius Heights residents through its excellent theater and athletic programs.

Old 02-17-2010, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by good_eating View Post
You are a racist.

Did you ever stop and consider the reason whites want to live with other whites is to avoid the gangs and crime?
Good LORD!

I think that when you see neighborhoods where there is more than 90% of one race in or around big cities, it because people want to be with others like them (Southside Chicago, Highland Park, and East Los Angeles are all examples).

Old 02-17-2010, 06:44 PM

882 posts, read 2,245,331 times
I've always thought as Houston as more "southern", while Dallas as more "country". But we all have our differing observations.

I would just try Houston out. Imo, its got 5-10 walkable neighborhoods,depending on your definition of "walkable" and they'll only improve and increase with the new LRT. Although I'm not saying that all of Houston is walkable.

Its got plenty of festivals: Brazilian Arts Festival, Festa Italiana, Greek, Pakistani, Turkish, Puerto Rican & Cuban, Russian Spring, Highland Games & Celtic, Colmbian & Venezualan Fest, Tango Houston(Argentine), Feste de La Musique(French Music celebration), French Cultures Festival, Chinese Lunar New Year, Japan Fest, Korean, Mexican Street Food Festival, Pan-African Cultural Festival, Harambee African African Herritage, CaribFest, Arab-American Festival, I-Fest| International Festival(showcases one county every year). And I'm sure I missed numerous others.

There are a ton of ethnic celebration, festivals, and parades in Houston for a lot of people to enjoy. Not all of these are full-fledged major celebrations, but the options are there. And there are even some in the suburbs like the Tomball German Heritage Festival.

And Houston is more diverse, and more intergrated.

Old 02-17-2010, 06:45 PM

Quote:
I think because its Texas, people automatically assume the cities that have a white majority must be redneck. I wonder how many people would consider Austin to be redneck for that reason?
Which sucks. Who really cares why one city is the way it is? We are all looking at neighborhoods based on invisable lines anyway. What happens if we cut out Fort Worth from Metro DFW or if we took everything outside the 610 away from Houston? Do things really change? People will still live where they do, shop where they do, eat where they do, and send their kids to the same schools.

There are neighborhoods in Houston (for example) that could easily be compared suburbs of Dallas. Can you really say that Bunker Hill is any different than Plano or Arlington (for example)? Bunker Hill may be in Houston proper, but it would be equivilent to having Plano as part of Dallas. I dont think the fact that Houston has more suburban like neighborhoods in its city proper than Dallas does is any better or worse because they fall inside an invisable line? (For the record, I think Bunker Hill is a fine neighborhood, not trying to diss it at all).

The best Houston vs. Dallas comparissons are whats inside the 610 vs. whats inside the 635. Once you leave that area, its suburban no matter where you go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas