Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2010, 06:52 PM

3,197 posts, read 5,346,535 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveUrban View Post
Anyways, I love San Antonio's downtown because a lot of people are always walking around.
^ Me too.

The main ingredient SA is missing are Downtown residents. Could easily be the #1 DT in Texas.

Old 02-25-2010, 07:01 PM

3,197 posts, read 5,346,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
So who here has been on Main Street in Downtown Dallas in the past couple of years? -- apparently not too many - you can't even get through there...
Exactly!

Main Street Gardens Park and the soon to be UNT- Law School should pump more life into the area.

Old 02-25-2010, 07:58 PM

3,260 posts, read 8,736,237 times
Downtown Dallas sucks!

Old 02-25-2010, 07:59 PM

8,734 posts, read 13,766,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
So who here has been on Main Street in Downtown Dallas in the past couple of years? -- apparently not too many - you can't even get through there...
I haven't been on Main. However, my cycling club will periodically do a weekly ride that goes through Deep Ellum on Elm where the Biker bar patrons cheer us on, and then through downtown all the way to Market St on the west side. And then over to West End and on to Victory Park, over to katy trail. It might be 7:00 - 7:30 by the time we get to downtown. The cops give us a wave, as we keep up with the traffic that's left and the synced light signals at about 25- 30 mph. We usually get green lights all the way. Traffic is pretty thinned out by then.

Old 02-25-2010, 08:39 PM

2,930 posts, read 5,244,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by solytaire View Post
However it doesnt take me visiting every nightspot in Dallas for me to conclude that it had a more vibrant down town when I visited.
Let me ask you something, when's the last time you've actually been to downtown Houston?... and be honest?

I'll give the fact that Dallas may feel a tad bit more vibrant in areas around its downtown, but not in the CBD itself. D/T Houston's had a mini-boom of its own in the last few years.

You've inspired me to start another thread over this because now i'm curious. Both cities have done alot in and near their downtowns.

Last edited by stoneclaw; 02-25-2010 at 08:57 PM..

Old 02-25-2010, 09:18 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,067,284 times
One downtown renovation that is often overlooked in Texas is Downtown Waco. I believe the city will become the new hot spot between Austin and Dallas. It's downtown is pulling in all types of bars, resturantes, shops, and more. It's adding lots of new downtown residents as well.

On top of that is a new marina, new Baylor stadium, streetcar system, downtown grocery store and more.

Old 02-25-2010, 09:26 PM

8,734 posts, read 13,766,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
One downtown renovation that is often overlooked in Texas is Downtown Waco. I believe the city will become the new hot spot between Austin and Dallas. It's downtown is pulling in all types of bars, resturantes, shops, and more. It's adding lots of new downtown residents as well.

On top of that is a new marina, new Baylor stadium, streetcar system, downtown grocery store and more.
Oh that would be great. I know we were happy when J. T. McCords opened up on Valley Mills.

Old 02-25-2010, 09:27 PM

2,930 posts, read 5,244,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post

i've never been to waco, maybe you'll be the one i ask on the hotspots next time i'm between austin and dallas.

Old 02-25-2010, 09:36 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,067,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C2H (ComingtoHouston) View Post
i've never been to waco, maybe you'll be the one i ask on the hotspots next time i'm between austin and dallas.
I'm in Houston now, but it's still developing. However, the RiverSquare center is usally packed at night.

Old 02-25-2010, 09:36 PM

3,424 posts, read 5,953,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C2H (ComingtoHouston) View Post
Let me ask you something, when's the last time you've actually been to downtown Houston?... and be honest?

I'll give the fact that Dallas may feel a tad bit more vibrant in areas around its downtown, but not in the CBD itself. Houston's had a mini-boom of its own in the last few years.

And this is not just for solytaire, but anyone.... help me understand. What does downtown Dallas have going for it that d/t doesn't?
The last time Ive been downtown was January of 2009....Downtown Dallas seemed to have more buildings so it felt more condensed and active..at the time that I visited, it had an open forum/courtyard thing where people convened and milled about, much like Discovery Green is today...dont know if they still have that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas