Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2010, 06:48 PM

3,390 posts, read 4,948,828 times

Advertisements

Me thinks you will like it in Amarillo. West Texas is a good place, IMO. A little of Texas, New Mexico, and a bit of Colorado all rolled in to one!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2010, 05:54 PM

148 posts, read 358,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishlover View Post
As others have said, you've basically described Amarillo! I think you'll like it based on what you've described. The people I've known from there are very friendly and welcoming to newcomers. It is probably the most conservative, religious large town in Texas aside from Lubbock. For what its worth, the "reddest" area of the entire country in the 2008 presidential election was the Texas panhandle.

In terms of amenities Amarillo is not the greatest, IMO. There are probably only a handful of nice restaurants/shops within 200 miles of the city. But, that may not be important to you. And, as others have said, you can pop over to Albuquerque in 4 hours and DFW in 3-4 hours driving if you want a bigger city and the associated amenities.

I think Amarillo has some of the best weather of any city in Texas. 4 distinct seasons and they do not get the oppressive humidity Houston or Dallas get June-September. Snow each winter, but not as much as WI, and massive thunderstorms (I love thunderstorms!) in Spring and early Summer. Very windy often as there is little to block the wind from sweeping down the plain.

Bottom line, Amarillo has a bad rap because everyone that lives in the "big" cities can't understand why anyone would live that far out in a "desolate" place but I think Amarillo is underrated. You've got good weather if you like 4 seasons, significant variation in landscape (from flat farmland to the impressive Palo Duro Canyon state park) and relatively close proximity to one of the largest cities in the US (DFW). With a job offer in hand I'd say go for it!
I hope that you meant that Oklahoma City was 3-4 hours driving time. If you get to DFW that quickly driving, you will have to average about 120 miles per hour! It normally takes me 6-8 hours to get to the northwest metroplex from Amarillo--depending on how many bladder stops I have to make.

Old 03-05-2010, 06:09 PM

334 posts, read 915,260 times
Ok, so I lived for a year near Oklahoma City and, somehow, almost all my friends in OKC were TX panhandle transplants, especially Amarillo (and "by God" Borger). If these folks are any indication, the people in Amarillo are great.

On the other hand, when I'd pass through Amarillo (which I did quite a few times on road trips to Albuquerque) I'd be struck by the utter flatness and constant wind of the panhandle (and when someone from OKC is impressed with flatness and wind, that's saying something). I don't necessarily mean struck in a bad way (except the wind... god how I've come to hate wind). There's a surreal beauty to the panhandle plains that is tough to describe.

Old 03-05-2010, 07:07 PM

4 posts, read 52,651 times
I just want to say "thanks" again to ya'll. You have really eased my mind about this. Still nothing is "written" yet, but we're praying for some exciting news soon! I can't wait to come out there and meet some neighbors.

Old 03-11-2010, 09:45 AM

10 posts, read 35,512 times
out2texas,

I hope you get that job! I'm 26 and have lived in Amarillo my whole life, save for a 2-year stint living in Dallas. Now let me tell ya - the big city was nice and fun and had TONS to do but when I came home to visit I didn't want to leave. Besides, I've always said that Amarillo has all the stuff to do that the big city has but the big cities just have more of them. So, I might say we have two movie theaters but a Dallas person can say that they have 20 and some of them are super cool. But we still have 2 theaters do we not?

But I digress. I love this land, I love these people. I was so glad when I came back. My family almost moved away a few months ago because I own a quick-service restaurant in town and was going to accept an opportunity for a much busier one in Oklahoma City. We were sooooooo close to going but in the end I backed out because I knew that in the long run I'd miss this great area. That's right - I'm taking less money to stay here - and this isn't a slight against OKC - I wouldn't go to ANY big city.

I love traveling and seeing new places and have a blast doing it but when that plane flys over Palo Duro Canyon and I can see the fields stretching out in every direction for miles I know I am in God's Country!

It's a great town, great people, I'm Catholic (which is in the minority here) but don't ever feel pressured, solid schools, and the weather is great for the most part. We're one of the sunniest parts of the U.S., actually. Sure we have cold winters and hot summers - but isn't that the way it's supposed to be?

They say that God made the Texas Panhandle - then he made folks who like it that way. I guess I'm one of those folks and we welcome all new guests to our city - we'd love to have ya!

Old 05-11-2010, 10:01 PM

1 posts, read 6,600 times
Default Amarillo, moving to

Old couple retired and thinking of moving to Amarillo. Do you know anything about rentals (2 br ground floor, cats) in the west or southwest areas (where we hear that it is safe and nice)? Would we still have to drive 15-20 minutes for necessities and groceries?
Good luck with your move.

Quote:
Originally Posted by out2texas View Post
Ok, I have definitely decided that Amarillo is a place we could call home! THANK YOU ALL!!

I guess my main concern was us being felt welcome - as I know how it can be when you have that "small town mentality" of not liking anyone new for the simple fact that they're new. We are very friendly, love to spend summer nights out with all our nieghbors and their kids and I would miss it if we weren't able to find that there.

I was starting to think that the bad rap about Amarillo being "out there" was from those who truely enjoy ALL the amenities of living in the city. Now if I want to get groceries or any basic necessity I have to drive aobut 15-20 mins. If we want anything other than socks and underwear it's about a 45 mins drive. And forget decent restaurants - unless you you don't mind McD's and Taco Bell - that's a good 45 mins too.

And thunderstorms - I LOVE thunderstorms and always wish we got more here. I definitely will not miss the frozen tundra though

Thank ya'll and I will let you know as things get finalized!! Cross your fingers for me!

Old 06-13-2010, 03:23 PM

4 posts, read 12,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by out2texas View Post

Just hoping that ya'll can describe the area and the people in a few words for me!

Thanks!
Friendly, quiet, inexpensive just like my hotel
www.bestwesternamarillo.com

Old 09-06-2010, 12:57 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,046,364 times
We passed through Amarillo and spent the night twice this summer. We enjoyed the stay and found the city to be clean and pleasant. I was favorably impressed. The people we dealt with were friendly and helpful at the hotel and restaurants. Several restaurants we tried near the freeway were packed, Texas Road House and Ruby Tequila's, so we moved on to less popular places as we didn't want to fight the crowds after driving all day.

Curious to learn more about the City I visited the City-Data page for Amarillo, where you can few the complete demographics. //www.city-data.com/city/Amarillo-Texas.html

I was surprised to learn the crime rate is quite a bit higher in ever category then the US average. Income and house prices are lower, unemployment was surprisingly lower. The summer temperatures are cooler then I expected to see.

Old 09-06-2010, 04:28 PM

116 posts, read 429,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J1ndo View Post
On the other hand, when I'd pass through Amarillo (which I did quite a few times on road trips to Albuquerque) I'd be struck by the utter flatness and constant wind of the panhandle (and when someone from OKC is impressed with flatness and wind, that's saying something).
At least there is an escape from the flatness at Palo Duro Canyon, and an even better escape by going to Raton, NM or Las Vegas, NM (4 hour drive to the NM mountains from Amarillo).

Old 10-18-2010, 07:45 PM

30 posts, read 85,977 times
Amarrillo seems like a great Texas city.My sister does not like the city but I whould like to vist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas