Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2010, 06:39 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,728,228 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
There is some truth to that. Dallas used to be very conservative, nowadays not so much. Houston has always been the more liberal, blue collar, roughneck town of the two though. Houston is a very warm & welcoming city no matter what color, religion, or political believes you may have while Dallasites tends to be more pretentious.
Its because diversity and internationalness are alot newer to Dallas than they are to Houston. Houston has been that way for years, but Dallas didnt start walking down that road until about 20 years ago. Houston used to be the only international city in Texas, now Dallas and DFW are on their heels.

If there were a most improved catagory in Texas for diversity, internationalness, and liberalness, Dallas would win. Dallas and the DFW metroplex have changed more than any of the metro areas in Texas (and in the US along with Atlanta in my opinion) in the last 10-15 years and I think alot of it has been for the best. The change is mostly reflected in its demographic makeup. Dallas has been flooded with people from California, Chicago, Latin America, and (to a lesser degree) Asia.

Old 05-27-2010, 08:26 AM

9,221 posts, read 15,947,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
Its because diversity and internationalness are alot newer to Dallas than they are to Houston. Houston has been that way for years, but Dallas didnt start walking down that road until about 20 years ago. Houston used to be the only international city in Texas, now Dallas and DFW are on their heels.

If there were a most improved catagory in Texas for diversity, internationalness, and liberalness, Dallas would win. Dallas and the DFW metroplex have changed more than any of the metro areas in Texas (and in the US along with Atlanta in my opinion) in the last 10-15 years and I think alot of it has been for the best. The change is mostly reflected in its demographic makeup. Dallas has been flooded with people from California, Chicago, Latin America, and (to a lesser degree) Asia.
But Houston has changed just as much as Dallas has and has actually starting gaining on Dallas during the last part of the decade. And Dallas is still behind Houston. Remember, Houston is smaller than DFW by about 600K, yet Houston still has more Blacks, Hispanics, and Asians. Houston just has far less Whites than DFW. It's also a reason why the international community in Houston is more visible than the international community in DFW.

Old 05-27-2010, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface713 View Post
But Houston has changed just as much as Dallas has and has actually starting gaining on Dallas during the last part of the decade. And Dallas is still behind Houston. Remember, Houston is smaller than DFW by about 600K, yet Houston still has more Blacks, Hispanics, and Asians. Houston just has far less Whites than DFW. It's also a reason why the international community in Houston is more visible than the international community in DFW.
I dont think Houston has changed as much as DFW in the last decade. Houston has always been a picture of diversity. Dallas hasnt. Now Dallas and DFW are too even if they arent to the degree Houston is. Demographically DFW has changed alot more than Houston.

Remember DFW gained more new international residents than Houston in the last decade and Houston has been getting more domestic residents recently. Im not saying that to imply that DFW is in someway now more international, but I still think its very telling.

Old 05-27-2010, 09:48 AM

2,930 posts, read 5,269,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
I dont think Houston has changed as much as DFW in the last decade. Houston has always been a picture of diversity. Dallas hasnt. Now Dallas and DFW are too even if they arent to the degree Houston is. Demographically DFW has changed alot more than Houston.

Remember DFW gained more new international residents than Houston in the last decade and Houston has been getting more domestic residents recently. Im not saying that to imply that DFW is in someway now more international, but I still think its very telling.
Either way, Dallas and DFW still don't have that international "feel" like Houston because everything is so segregated. Most of the international areas in DFW are in little districts in the suburbs, its not blended together like in Houston. So in spite of Dallas becoming more of an international city, it still feels primarily caucasion. Also add to the fact that Houston's metro is about 600k smaller, it has less to work with. DFW may have changed with the raw international numbers but the "feel" basically remains the same.

Old 05-27-2010, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C2H (ComingtoHouston) View Post
Either way, Dallas and DFW still don't have that international "feel" like Houston because everything is so segregated. Most of the international areas in DFW are in little districts in the suburbs, its not blended together like in Houston. So in spite of Dallas becoming more of an international city, it still feels primarily caucasion. Also add to the fact that Houston's metro is about 600k smaller, it has less to work with. DFW may have changed with the raw international numbers but the "feel" basically remains the same.
No the feel isnt the same. Dallas at minimum feels a whole hell of alot more Latino than it did 10-15 years ago (throw Irving in there too).

Houston is the one with the big Chinatown, the big Little India, and the big Little Saigon. Dallas and DFW are home more much smaller ethnic neighborhood. Outside of Koreatown, there is no real ethnic enclave in Dallas or DFW. How does that equate to segregation? If anything few much larger ethnic enclaves equals more segregation than more but much smaller ethnic enclaves.

Your post contradicts itself.

Old 05-27-2010, 12:56 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,032,687 times
When your already diverse, massive changes won't be as noticed as a major change in something your not.

It's like being tan colored from birth, go out and tanning wouldn't be a very significant change for you as compared to someone whose very pale and doing the same thing.

If Houston becomes more diverse, it's not that easy to notice, but if say San Antonio became more diverse (With cultures from Africa, Asia, Latin America, Europe) then it'll be noted down because it's not something you see much there right now.

Old 05-27-2010, 02:20 PM

8,704 posts, read 11,111,073 times
Who cares?? A little diversity is good, but really who cares. It does not mean a metro is better or worse in any regard.

Old 05-27-2010, 02:24 PM

5,673 posts, read 7,447,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slo1318 View Post
Who cares?? A little diversity is good, but really who cares. It does not mean a metro is better or worse in any regard.
Diversity always helps a city image...but i agree wit you about it not makin a city better or worse.

Old 05-27-2010, 02:25 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,032,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slo1318 View Post
No, but it means a metro is more comfortable than another in regards.

If I lived in Amarillo, Texas. I would feel like a fish out of water since I am South Asian, but I feel just fine in Houston, because I know there's thousands of others that have the same background as me. It makes it easier too, especially when I want to eat food that originates from my culture and I can find multiple options all in the same city.

I like ethnic diversity, it's a very positive thing about any city.

Old 05-27-2010, 02:49 PM

8,704 posts, read 11,111,073 times
You might feel uncomfortable in some ways and I understand that. For me it really doesnt mean much to me. If I like a city/metro, than I like it. If the people are friendly, then I like it. If I go to Tokyo or Mumbai or Cairo, I dont expect tremendous diversity....and in many ways I prefer it, because it can retain more of its cultural identity. I know its different here in the States, but you probably understand what Im saying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas