Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-01-2010, 05:06 PM

5,092 posts, read 8,808,015 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
In a sense, but I wouldn't really say it's beautiful.....more like awesome.
Quote:
Because it's hype. People are going on saying Houston is beautiful and stuff. Do I think Houston is ugly??? No, but I just wouldn't say its scenery and attractiveness is one of it's strongest points. It's appeal and look doesn't bother me, but if I had to speak on it.....I wouldn't call Houston beautiful.
+1

exactly what i was going to say. there are plenty of awesome views to be seen, but downright beautiful? nah....houston will always be a very fun and cool city, and while it can definitely improve on its attractiveness, i'll never consider it a beautiful city

Old 12-01-2010, 05:25 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,877,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
+1

exactly what i was going to say. there are plenty of awesome views to be seen, but downright beautiful? nah....houston will always be a very fun and cool city, and while it can definitely improve on its attractiveness, i'll never consider it a beautiful city
I can agree with this. In my opinion, none of Texas' major cities can be called beautiful. They aren't ugly tho. It depends on what you like. Houston is like the girl that isn't super hot, but she's cute and has reat personality. An awesome chick...an awesome city.

Old 12-01-2010, 05:33 PM

4,364 posts, read 4,559,457 times
Quote:
Because it's hype. People are going on saying Houston is beautiful and stuff. Do I think Houston is ugly??? No, but I just wouldn't say its scenery and attractiveness is one of it's strongest points. It's appeal and look doesn't bother me, but if I had to speak on it.....I wouldn't call Houston beautiful.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
+1

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder..Just like I can't see how you would pick Wacko Texas over Houston it is still your opinion. And I damn sure aint changing my mind on how I think Houston is. The Good,the bad,the ugly, and the beautiful. How in the hell can anyone argue against someones opinion? Just because one says it's beautiful doesn't mean i'm saying it's up there with the nautral landscape of Africa...Hell no, what is it to you all if someone feels like Houston is a BEAUTIFUL city?

Old 12-01-2010, 05:37 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,061,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface713 View Post
I can agree with this. In my opinion, none of Texas' major cities can be called beautiful. They aren't ugly tho. It depends on what you like. Houston is like the girl that isn't super hot, but she's cute and has reat personality. An awesome chick...an awesome city.
I'd agree. However, I do think Austin is up there; it's just dry as hell.

Old 12-01-2010, 05:39 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,061,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder..Just like I can't see how you would pick Wacko Texas over Houston it is still your opinion. And I damn sure aint changing my mind on how I think Houston is. The Good,the bad,the ugly, and the beautiful. How in the hell can anyone argue against someones opinion? Just because one says it's beautiful doesn't mean i'm saying it's up there with the nautral landscape of Africa...Hell no, what is it to you all if someone feels like Houston is a BEAUTIFUL city?
Who's arguing?? Just chill out dude. I understand where you coming from and I apologize if you felt like I was attacking you for your opinion. I never said people had no right to call it beautiful; I just don't see it.

Wacko, Texas??? That was funny......about 20 years ago.

Old 12-01-2010, 05:45 PM

4,364 posts, read 4,559,457 times
Quote:
Who's arguing?? Just chill out dude. I understand where you coming from and I apologize if you felt like I was attacking you for your opinion. I never said people had no right to call it beautiful; I just don't see it.

Wacko, Texas??? That was funny......about 20 years ago.
No need to apologize it's not that serious. I didn't build the city I just live in it. It just comes off to me that your trying to go out of your way to belittle ppl's opinions about the city that's all.

Old 12-01-2010, 05:46 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,790,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by portyhead24 View Post
exactly, you were talking about the city of Dallas versus the city of Houston. why don't YOU go back and read it.

Houston is a CITY of 2.3M that caters to a METRO of 6 million.

Dallas is a CITY of 1.3M that caters to a METRO of 6.6 million, but so does Fort Worth, Arlington, Plano, Richardson, Irving.

What you're failing to see is that the majority of the cultural amenities for the Houston metro are concentrated in the city of Houston while they are spread out for the DFW area. This has been noted and said ad nauseum by countless people. I'm just stating it's not uncanny that the CITY of Houston would have 50 blocks while Dallas has only 19 blocks. Yeah, Dallas has a smaller population and other cities around the metro that are big draws in the arts.
yes, and for a bigger metro DFW has less arts. You know that the Theater District in Houston is 17 Blocks and that the Theater district in NY is bigger than that right?

the argument was that they have the biggest arts district in the US, but if NY, Houston or Chicago put together all their arts like Dallas did then Dallas would look puny.

I went on to say that if you would have to add all of the outside cities to Dallas to match up. that caters to 6.6M how is Houston twice as large as 6.M people???

and fyi Houston got most of its art venues when it was around the same size as Dallas.

when Houston was catering to art Dallas was catering to upscale shopping. lmao. just joking

Old 12-01-2010, 05:50 PM

4,775 posts, read 8,795,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
Waco does look better than Houston...It is more than just trees that make a city. Waco does not have an abundance of run down areas like Houston does. Just face the fact Houston is the 4th largest city in the U.S. When cities get that large they tend not to look that great. Not to mention the city of Houston is a whopping 656 sq miles Dallas and Fort Worth combine square miles is 683 sq miles. I don't think when a city is that large the city is worried about beautifying the town.

Old 12-01-2010, 05:52 PM

4,775 posts, read 8,795,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
yes, and for a bigger metro DFW has less arts. You know that the Theater District in Houston is 17 Blocks and that the Theater district in NY is bigger than that right?

the argument was that they have the biggest arts district in the US, but if NY, Houston or Chicago put together all their arts like Dallas did then Dallas would look puny.

I went on to say that if you would have to add all of the outside cities to Dallas to match up. that caters to 6.6M how is Houston twice as large as 6.M people???

and fyi Houston got most of its art venues when it was around the same size as Dallas.

when Houston was catering to art Dallas was catering to upscale shopping. lmao. just joking
Haven't we gotten into this debate before...Fort Worth Cultural district is nothing to sneeze at.

Old 12-01-2010, 05:57 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,790,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdogg817 View Post
Waco does look better than Houston...It is more than just trees that make a city. Waco does not have an abundance of run down areas like Houston does. Just face the fact Houston is the 4th largest city in the U.S. When cities get that large they tend not to look that great. Not to mention the city of Houston is a whopping 656 sq miles Dallas and Fort Worth combine square miles is 683 sq miles. I don't think when a city is that large the city is worried about beautifying the town.
did you edit Wikipedia to show that info??

lol Houston is not 683 sq miles dude.

and there are areas in Dallas that are just as run down. lol. nice try, but you need to fix this:

List of United States cities by area - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Houston is only 579 minus about 200sq miles for water and stuff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas