Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2019, 07:45 AM

4,001 posts, read 3,263,711 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastriver View Post
Crowley Rd. in Arlington. Not Crowley, TX.

Las Colinas has rolling hills. Dart passes over and through a lot of them.
Yeah I don't think we disagree where these minor changes in topography are.

I think the difference is what I consider rolling parts of an other wise flat metro you consider to be large "Hilly" areas thus making DFW not over all flat.

That sort of strikes me as the opinion of someone who desperately doesn't want DFW to be "Flat"

Sorry, but while there are small pockets for the most part it really is pretty damn flat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2019, 08:02 AM

2,495 posts, read 866,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treasurevalley92 View Post
Yeah I don't think we disagree where these minor changes in topography are.

I think the difference is what I consider rolling parts of an other wise flat metro you consider to be large "Hilly" areas thus making DFW not over all flat.

That sort of strikes me as the opinion of someone who desperately doesn't want DFW to be "Flat"

Sorry, but while there are small pockets for the most part it really is pretty damn flat.
I never said "large 'hilly,'" I said hilly. There's plenty of that in the area (including parts of Oak Cliff on I-30 where roads have to be cut through it and large swaths of the Trinity lowlands in the Stemmons corridor can be viewed from above). I and others see variations in pitch that you choose to dismiss; there are geological upthrusts all over the area. You have a reputation as a newcomer to the region, and it's a big place.

That you can call the topography of Olmos Park, Alamo Heights, and Terrell Hills in SA flat is testimony to some kind of peevish bias you hold.

Last edited by eastriver; 12-07-2019 at 08:11 AM..

Old 12-07-2019, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastriver View Post
I never said "large 'hilly,'" I said hilly. There's plenty of that in the area (including parts of Oak Cliff on I-30 where roads have to be cut through it and large swaths of the Trinity lowlands in the Stemmons corridor can be viewed from above). I and others see variations in pitch that you choose to dismiss; there are geological upthrusts all over the area. You have a reputation as a newcomer to the region, and it's a big place.

That you can call the topography of Olmos Park, Alamo Heights, and Terrell Hills in SA flat is testimony to some kind of peevish bias you hold.
Well one, I think I only called Alamo Heights "Rolling" not the others. I don't have nearly as much experience with San Antonio as Dallas, but Based on the Topo maps though they appear to be rolling small hills.

https://www.google.com/maps/@29.5262.../data=!5m1!1e4

You can clearly see where the hill line starts on this map and were it more gently rolls or if steeper the hills are very small.

New? I've been here in DFW for a decade.

Due to a previous Job that had me on the road within north Texas every single day I think it's safe to say I've seen more of DFW than the vast majority of natives. (I went to every DISD school at least once a a quarter, and many of them monthly for almost 2 years, so I've been in every single neighborhood in Dallas how many of you can say that?)

I see the variation in pitch as well, I just have the perspective of an outsider to not make a mountain out of a mole hill.

There certainly is variation in the pitch, but you will find that almost anywhere. You will find that in Flat Chicagoland or Indianapolis as well. Even flat places have variation in pitch and certainly have areas eroded by water.

Heck Bismarck is much hillier than DFW, and that freaking ND.

Old 12-07-2019, 02:28 PM

6,695 posts, read 9,943,902 times
^^^This is probably one of the hilliest areas in The Metroplex.

I-20 in Southwest Dallas

Skip to 12:00 (Westbound I-20 - down the big hill at 14:25)

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=...&v=EMCc-vP1wyI

Skip to 26:00 (Eastbound I-20 - up the big hill)

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=...&v=9_woJ844m7g

Old 12-08-2019, 09:40 AM

1,728 posts, read 3,442,234 times
Parts of El Paso are pretty flat, especially out on the far eastside of town, But that MOUNTAIN throws off the average, LOL.

Old 12-08-2019, 09:56 AM

4,503 posts, read 4,613,441 times
Chapman Ranch Road west of Corpus Christi is the flattest piece of earth I have ever seen or been on in my life.

https://www.google.com/maps/@27.6757...WWO8d36h5Q!2e0 Check out Corpus Christi, Texas, USA Shared via the #StreetView app

Old 12-08-2019, 10:54 AM

1,830 posts, read 1,430,429 times
Amarillo is not flat. It's on a constant rise from east to west and northwest, as the elevation heads upward into the foothills of the Rocky Mountains. Amarillo also has high and low spots throughout the city, and hills to the north and northwest sides.

People are easily fooled into thinking it's flat, but it's an optical illusion.

Old 12-08-2019, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkay66 View Post
Amarillo is not flat. It's on a constant rise from east to west and northwest, as the elevation heads upward into the foothills of the Rocky Mountains. Amarillo also has high and low spots throughout the city, and hills to the north and northwest sides.

People are easily fooled into thinking it's flat, but it's an optical illusion.
When people say "Flat" they don't mean perfectly flat. They mean it looks flat with the changes in elevation being gentle and/ or infrequent.

Kansas isn't "Flat" either because the great plains gradually increase. No place on earth is perfectly flat.

Amarillo and Kansas both look flat, so for the purposes of this discussion they are "flat."

Old 11-07-2021, 08:49 AM

4 posts, read 3,312 times
Abilene, TX where I live is mostly flat but past the far south sidie of town there are the Steamboat mountians

Old 11-07-2021, 04:02 PM

11,790 posts, read 8,002,955 times
TX isn’t as flat as people make it out to be. The flattest state in the country is Florida (yes, it’s flatter than Kansas) but people almost never raise a fuss about that, we always take the flack for being flat
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas