Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2010, 08:31 AM

156 posts, read 377,355 times

Advertisements

I've lived most of my life in wooded green hills of southern Indiana. As a "geezer" now my thoughts are directed more toward extending my yearly outdoor time and shortening my annual indoor time. Being retired and being active I do not like being holed up inside my home for 6 months of the year due to inclement colder weather.

I've ridden my bike through most parts of Texas over the years, but never stuck around in one spot long enough to appreciate the personality or the overall atmosphere of any single location there. Last spring, I rode to visit ex-Indiana friends who now live in Longview and loved their home and loved the warmer temps. My friends, however, let me know that there is a trade-off in that more humidity and more summer heat and more bugs may not be for everybody. That said, they would never consider moving back to Indiana.

Question: Does the western portion of your fine state provide some relief from the humidity blowing up from the gulf? Any comments would be welcome.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2010, 08:42 AM

9,191 posts, read 21,867,276 times
Question: Does the western portion of your fine state provide some relief from the humidity blowing up from the gulf? Any comments would be welcome.

Yes. West Texas is relatively dry from west of Abilene on, and also the Panhandle.

But you won't find lush, wooded green. It's nothing like East Texas.

While WT does not have the stifling humidity of ET/Central Texas, WT still gets hot as blazes!

It IS much, much drier than ET, but it's still hot as h*** from about May to the end of September.

Having said that, I'd never live in IN. I've never been that cold in my life!

Old 03-19-2010, 10:44 AM

3,503 posts, read 19,878,952 times
I'll take the heat anyday. it is much easier to get releif from the heat than to try and get warm. Everything has AC. it makes the heat livable and enjoyable in the long winter months when the rest of the country is freezing. It's cool to cold in South Texas. We even had a freeze this past winter. it makes the hot summers more enjoyable. My opinion.

Old 03-19-2010, 11:28 AM

9,191 posts, read 21,867,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaneSA View Post
I'll take the heat anyday. it is much easier to get releif from the heat than to try and get warm. Everything has AC. it makes the heat livable and enjoyable in the long winter months when the rest of the country is freezing. It's cool to cold in South Texas. We even had a freeze this past winter. it makes the hot summers more enjoyable. My opinion.
I'm the exact opposite. The older I get, the more the heat bothers me. You can only take off so many clothes--and AC is an absolute essential, period--refrigerated only!

You can easily add layers to get/stay warm. This winter has been one of the best I've seen in years for both Texas and New Mexico. Having had a REAL winter for a change, the summer won't be so unbearable, hopefully.

Of course, it was a hard winter in many places, and I can see why the East Coasters/Midwesterners got sick of it.

Old 03-19-2010, 01:03 PM

8,746 posts, read 9,028,593 times
Like it was stated above, just about anywhere west of Abilene is going to be less humid than the rest of the state. If you enjoy the outdoors I guess it would just depend on what outdoor activities you enjoy the most as far as us recommending some good places for you.

Old 03-20-2010, 03:07 AM

Your replies are appreciated. Thanks for your input, everybody. I suppose my idea of a happy Texas homestead would involve some quiet, some greenery, some critters, and reasonable access to shopping & medical. Throw in some low crime and friendly neighbors - and there's not much more to ask.

Old 03-20-2010, 03:27 AM

12,498 posts, read 26,977,850 times
I would focus on East Texas if I were you. Its very laid back here, plenty of access to medical, is as green as the dickens with some hilly terrain thrown in, & most people are very friendly in a Southern kinda way (think Alabama or Mississippi). The humidity isn't as bad near Tyler as it is in the Deep Piney Woods of East Texas near Lufkin, Nacogdoches, & points further on south.

Crime in Tyler has gotten worse over the years, but just look into the many up & coming suburbs (Bullard, Jacksonville, New Chapel Hill, Whitehouse, Lindale) or even the rural areas if you feel uncomfortable living inside the city limits.

Last edited by Metro Matt; 03-20-2010 at 03:40 AM..

Old 03-20-2010, 11:03 AM

3,260 posts, read 8,759,371 times
North Texas

Old 03-20-2010, 12:32 PM

Browsing around for real estate comparisons I noticed some homes within a 25 mile radius of Carthage which seemed interesting. No real reason for zeroing in on Carthage, other than it appears to be near the Sabine Nat'L Forest.

Old 03-20-2010, 04:01 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,977,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladarron View Post
North Texas
You can forget the trees then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas