Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2010, 09:00 AM

25,157 posts, read 53,947,295 times

Advertisements

I lived in Austin for one year and I didn't see one hippie there. Sure, some people wear tie dye shirts and smoke weed. But they do that in Alabama, too. The majority of the people are conservative rednecks partying down and getting drunk then proclaiming to be of "Southern Baptist" origins.

If you want high class partying and a variety of groups to choose from then I suggest Dallas. It's huge and glitzy and very inexpensive. The people are down to earth and a little more honest. What more could you want?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tejasram View Post
Austin is a young partie scene with hippies definitely Austin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2010, 10:46 PM

2,089 posts, read 3,907,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
If you want high class partying and a variety of groups to choose from then I suggest Dallas. It's huge and glitzy and very inexpensive. The people are down to earth and a little more honest. What more could you want?
BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

*sniffle* Man, that was funny.

Old 10-21-2010, 10:52 PM

2,327 posts, read 3,935,664 times
Before someone beats me to it, Mentone has to be mentioned.

Is Mingus a good party town, or was I just reading someone who was trying to be funny, like I was in the first sentence?

Old 10-21-2010, 10:53 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,953,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danbo1957 View Post
BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

*sniffle* Man, that was funny.
lol, I was waiting for someone to be shocked silly by that statement too. I saw that and could not stop laughing.

certain words must mean something different in different cities. Like down to earth must mean they party on the first floor

Old 10-22-2010, 07:00 AM

1,445 posts, read 3,268,154 times
Well if your extremely inmature and main interests are getting drunk, smoking, and acting stupid, then Austin's 6th street is the place to be! If you are a tad more "upscale" and enjoy finer type entertainment (jazz/blues clubs, etc) then Dallas or Houston would be right up your alley.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightline View Post
Which is the best city in Texas to party?

Old 10-22-2010, 07:28 AM

1,534 posts, read 2,772,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eepstein View Post
Well if your extremely inmature and main interests are getting drunk, smoking, and acting stupid, then Austin's 6th street is the place to be! If you are a tad more "upscale" and enjoy finer type entertainment (jazz/blues clubs, etc) then Dallas or Houston would be right up your alley.
Ok dude, let's get real. I agree Austin is a crappy jazz town, but so are Houston and Dallas. Dallas, at least produced Nora Jones, but her international career was launched at SbySW in guess where. And as for blues, what clubs in Houston or Dallas have been as historically significant for the development and sustaining of blues music as Antones or the Victory Grill in Austin? Tell me, I would like to go there. Houston has a nationally significant hip-hop scene. And Dallas has an OK trance, metal and techno scene. In the 1920s, Oak Cliff in Dallas with T-Bone Walker had a blues scene, but since the 1960s, the center of Texas blues has been in Austin. Ever heard of Stevie Ray Vaughan?

Old 10-22-2010, 07:37 AM

18,495 posts, read 32,953,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homeinatx View Post
Ok dude, let's get real. I agree Austin is a crappy jazz town, but so are Houston and Dallas. Dallas, at least produced Nora Jones, but her international career was launched at SbySW in guess where. And as for blues, what clubs in Houston or Dallas have been as historically significant for the development and sustaining of blues music as Antones or the Victory Grill in Austin? Tell me, I would like to go there. Houston has a nationally significant hip-hop scene. And Dallas has an OK trance, metal and techno scene. In the 1920s, Oak Cliff in Dallas with T-Bone Walker had a blues scene, but since the 1960s, the center of Texas blues has been in Austin. Ever heard of Stevie Ray Vaughan?
Houston is not as crappy for Jazz as you would think. Take a spin downtown one evening

Old 10-22-2010, 07:42 AM

1,534 posts, read 2,772,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
Houston is not as crappy for Jazz as you would think. Take a spin downtown one evening
Where? And who plays there? Jazz is not really a Texas genre.

Old 10-22-2010, 10:32 AM

216 posts, read 444,457 times
Quote:
Ever heard of Stevie Ray Vaughan?

I have, and he's from Oak Cliff in Dallas.

That guy is an anti-Austin troll. I wouldn't take what he says too seriously. But if you're going to disregard Dallas's Deep Ellum district, one of the most historic blues spots in the entire southern United States just because most of that history is older, I don't know if it's fair to tout Stevie Ray Vaughan when he's been dead himself for two decades now.

Old 10-22-2010, 12:09 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,215,611 times
Quote:
Peacock Records - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas