Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2010, 01:03 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,406,247 times

Advertisements

Ok, we're looking at moving in the next 1-3 months. I picked an agent at random, who had listings from the area.

Well, this is the 5th house we've purchased, and will be the 6th we've sold, but I can't remember any "protocol" other than getting started.Seems to me with the tight market, agents would love to have any hook on the line.

I contacted an agency, and was put in touch with their "agent of the day." she took about an hour to get back with me, but that's ok. I was puzzled at best by her attiitude. She said with a question in her voice--you want at least 4 bdr, 2 bath? Ummm..............yes, that's not so uncommon. I found myself floundering to carry the conversation, explaining we were looking to move in 1-3 months. Then a long pause, then, well, have you been pre-approved by a lender? No, we haven't you're the first stop. Then another long pause, then,...........well, you should get pre approved, and bring us a letter of approval I mean, she said this like she was talking to a little kid, then said, well, we have some lenders, but you should work with a lender you've worked with in the past that you "feel comfortable with". Huh? Any lender I've worked with I've long since lost touch with, I don't buy a home every month! Usually lenders I've worked with were more than willing to help pre-qualify me, not act like that's something I should have done prior to disturbing them.

I foud myself so irritated and annoyed. Buying a home is a major purchase, and a lot of negoiations. You need to be comfortable with the agent, or forget it. I just told her where my dh works, how much he makes, how much we have to put down, then said sweetly, I will take your suggestion and find a lender who's willing to deal with us. Perhaps they can recommend an agent, thanks for your time! Then hung up!

I've been told I sound young on the phone, perhaps she thought she was dealing with some college student, but her loss, if she's so prejudicial now she would just be like that throughout the entire negoiations.

I mean, come on, I was hesitant to approach an agent until we were serious because they tend to be so pushy. Well, this gal just pushed us right off. Where's the Suzy Cheerleader type I'm used to dealing with?

Geez, now I'm starting to see why the real estate market is so sluggish, if that's the type of agents out there!

How do you find a good agent, not someone who acts like you're an annoyance?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2010, 01:16 PM

7,244 posts, read 21,811,238 times
Do a Google search for the area you're looking in. You should see the top agents appearing all over the first couple of pages. That's how I get most of my clients these days. They say they see me everywhere.

You probably got some new agent not sure what to do with a phone call who sits passively at the office waiting for business. Most top producing agents working in today's market are out finding business and doing quite well.

As for her suggestion of working with a lender you've worked with previously, that's actually a great thing for her to say. Mortgage people depend on repeat business just like Realtors, and many people do multiple loans through one person over several years. It's all about your comfort zone. I know several great lenders here in Texas, not sure what city you're in but mortgage people aren't city specific, and I would be happy to pass along a couple of names if you would like.

By the way, what city are you in?

Old 03-23-2010, 01:32 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,404,950 times
When you're googling for an agent, see if you can find agents in your area with blogs. Reading their blogs will give you a feel for them and whether you'll "click" or not - chemistry is important when you're working together as a team to accomplish as big a goal as buying a house.

As for what you should expect from an agent, there are certain questions that are going to be asked, and the ones you mentioned are among the primary ones. The agent should try to narrow down exactly what you're looking for (understanding that it, and/or their understanding of it, will likely change during the process of looking at homes), make sure that you are pre-approved, either already or that that is the first thing on the list of things for you to do, ascertain whether or not you have a mortgage lender that you're comfortable with already or, if not, provide you with some names (plural) of lenders so that you can determine which one you're most comfortable using, provide you with listings based on what he or she understands of your needs and wants after talking with you and then, after getting feedback from you on that, tweak the search to narrow in on the goal.

It does sound like you got a new agent for whom all of this doesn't simply flow when a phone call comes in. (It's hard at first, even if you are trained and know what you're doing - becomes easier with practice, just like most things.) But perhaps the chemistry, even over the phone, just wasn't right - that does happen, as well.

Old 03-23-2010, 01:55 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,406,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
When you're googling for an agent, see if you can find agents in your area with blogs. Reading their blogs will give you a feel for them and whether you'll "click" or not - chemistry is important when you're working together as a team to accomplish as big a goal as buying a house.

As for what you should expect from an agent, there are certain questions that are going to be asked, and the ones you mentioned are among the primary ones. The agent should try to narrow down exactly what you're looking for (understanding that it, and/or their understanding of it, will likely change during the process of looking at homes), make sure that you are pre-approved, either already or that that is the first thing on the list of things for you to do, ascertain whether or not you have a mortgage lender that you're comfortable with already or, if not, provide you with some names (plural) of lenders so that you can determine which one you're most comfortable using, provide you with listings based on what he or she understands of your needs and wants after talking with you and then, after getting feedback from you on that, tweak the search to narrow in on the goal.

It does sound like you got a new agent for whom all of this doesn't simply flow when a phone call comes in. (It's hard at first, even if you are trained and know what you're doing - becomes easier with practice, just like most things.) But perhaps the chemistry, even over the phone, just wasn't right - that does happen, as well.
Its hard to explain, its not the questions she asked, it was her attitude, she acted uninterested, lacking in enthusiasm. I felt she was reading from a list of suggested questions, then didn't quite know what to do with our answers. I got tired of feeling I was guiding this girl through the process.

I'm used to dealing with agents who all but eat you alive, guess that extreme is not so great, either. I just want to buy a house! But I called another agent who had some good suggestions for various financing and some mortgage brokers he recommended. Yes, I know, tread carefully, but that applies in all things. At least he seemed to know he was working in a real estate company, not a McDonalds!

Old 03-23-2010, 02:12 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,404,950 times
That's really why I thought you got a newbie, who maybe WAS reading the questions and didn't quite know what to do with the answers! It sounded somewhat like a script, from your description.

Glad you found someone that you're happy with. Success in your search for a new home!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas