Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-31-2010, 02:08 AM

3,092 posts, read 4,966,877 times

Advertisements

I think it's BS they aren't opening in Austin. If any Texas city should get a huge portion of So Cali culture it should be Austin.

I highly doubt if they're better than Whataburger though. A number two with bacon, cheese, grilled onions, and jalapenos is fast food Heaven.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2010, 06:31 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slo1318 View Post
In N Out is greatness, Ive had Texans tell me Whataburger is just as good. No, it is not.

Carls Jr is pretty good to, I think they would do well here as long as they get a little advertising support. Ive been to one in Duncan, Ok....it seems to be doing well.
there are a lot that are pretty good: We happen to lik Burger King cause they char the burgers and use lettuce slices, not chopped everything. I know people who do like Wataburger, I am not one of them, but more than anything is the quality for the money..

In N Out, as you said, is greatness. No, of course it isn't like a $6.00 burger, it isn't meant to be.. Those of us who know In N Out understand the draw.

Unthorn96, you are missing the point, it is a matter of quality and pricing. They will not put Whataburger out of business or anyone else for that matter, and there will be a few on here who will not be impressed because we are a world of vast likes and dislikes, but is this exciting? Of course it is...Just like it would be exciting if Trader Joes came to Texas (which according to TJ) will probably happen in the next 2 or so years.

N ita
Nita

Old 05-31-2010, 06:36 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by isaywhateveryo View Post
I'm from Louisiana/Texas, but I still haven't found a fast food hamburger *half* as good as In-N-Out, and it's not because I haven't tried. I've been to:

Whataburger (didn't like)
Dairy Queen (grew up with, didn't like)
Steak N Shake (very good, but not In-N-Out good)
Tornado Burger (disgusting)
Five Guys (edible)
Southwell's (barely edible)
Burger Shack (ehhhh, ok, but not worth going back to)

...and many more. In-N-Out defines what a hamburger should be.
I keep hearing about how awesome it is...and have been disappointed every time I've put one in my mouth.

I think Carl's Jr does a better job with meatiness and flavor.

Old 05-31-2010, 07:20 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,194,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UTHORNS96 View Post
I think it's BS they aren't opening in Austin. If any Texas city should get a huge portion of So Cali culture it should be Austin.

I highly doubt if they're better than Whataburger though. A number two with bacon, cheese, grilled onions, and jalapenos is fast food Heaven.
I always get that number 2 with cheese bacon and grilled onions (you can keep the jalapenos lol).

I think In n Out may be good and probably better than Whataburger; I'm just not trying to hype myself up too high and be disappointed when I finally get a taste (I did that with Smash burger which was just alright to me).

Old 05-31-2010, 09:25 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,728,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
I always get that number 2 with cheese bacon and grilled onions (you can keep the jalapenos lol).

I think In n Out may be good and probably better than Whataburger; I'm just not trying to hype myself up too high and be disappointed when I finally get a taste (I did that with Smash burger which was just alright to me).
Having grown up in California, I still cant figure out what the hype is about In-N-Out. The only thing I can come up with is that its cheap and the ingrediants are fresh.

Ive had much better burgers in Texas than In-N-Out. There isnt anything great about it. Its good, not great.

Old 05-31-2010, 09:26 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,728,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UTHORNS96 View Post
Any particular reason why?

Old 05-31-2010, 09:41 AM

9,249 posts, read 26,685,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
that's easy: FRESH. Everything from the cutting of the potatoes to the making of the buns and meat patties are done daily. Not one frozen thing is used, add the that they have kept the menu simple which helps. What they do, they do right. They use fresh onion slices, not chopped, same with the tomatoes and the lettuce. Put this altogether with an under $2 price tag and you get quality man!!!! Better known as value for your buck.

There will always be those who think Fat burger is better or maybe 5 guys, but we are talking price here as well.

NIta

Old Times in Rice's Crossing does the same thing, although I'm not
sure about under $2. I'm sure there are other places around austin that make everything fresh. I'll try it when it gets here, but I'm not going in expecting an orgasmic experience or anything.

Old 05-31-2010, 09:54 AM

711 posts, read 1,855,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
Any particular reason why?
So many ex-Californians in Austin.

Old 05-31-2010, 01:30 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by love roses View Post
Old Times in Rice's Crossing does the same thing, although I'm not
sure about under $2. I'm sure there are other places around austin that make everything fresh. I'll try it when it gets here, but I'm not going in expecting an orgasmic experience or anything.
it is a less than $2 hamburger for heavens sake. As for fresh in the Ausitn area, first we are talking Dallas right now, not Austin and for any chain to serve everything fresh is almost impossible. They have to have warehouses etc. In fact most home bar b ques can't claim everything is fresh. I don't know of many places that still slice the potatoes daily, often while you are waiting , bake the bread each day and use nothing but frest meat (nothing frozen) haven't been to Old Time so I don't have a clue. Many of us are just saying, there will always be a huge IN-N-Out following and yes, there will be those who don't think it is anything special or don't even like them but the question was What's makes them special"? and many have answered.

NIta

Old 05-31-2010, 01:35 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,194,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
it is a less than $2 hamburger for heavens sake. As for fresh in the Ausitn area, first we are talking Dallas right now, not Austin and for any chain to serve everything fresh is almost impossible. They have to have warehouses etc. In fact most home bar b ques can't claim everything is fresh. I don't know of many places that still slice the potatoes daily, often while you are waiting , bake the bread each day and use nothing but frest meat (nothing frozen) haven't been to Old Time so I don't have a clue. Many of us are just saying, there will always be a huge IN-N-Out following and yes, there will be those who don't think it is anything special or don't even like them but the question was What's makes them special"? and many have answered.

NIta
I don't think you understand the huge following Whataburger has as well.

Lol, look at this: //www.facebook.com/group.php?gi...7049576&v=wall
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas