Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2010, 12:22 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,060,466 times

Advertisements

This is just conjecture, so I'm asking those who actually know, but it seems they have a type of Gulf accent near the coast of Louisiana, an inland Southern accent near the border with OK and Arkansas (maybe typical Dallas, South Oklahoma accent, more similar to AL, western TN), and a more 'cowboy western' type accent in central and western Texas, with perhaps a Midwestern accent strongly tinged with western southern in the panhandle, Amarillo etc. A Latino/Spanish influenced accent in the South and southwest; San Antonio to Corpus Christi etc. And of course the standard American with maybe a southern tinge for some in Austin, Houston.etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2010, 05:44 AM

9,249 posts, read 26,695,313 times
You would be correct.

Old 04-05-2010, 08:23 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,215,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
This is just conjecture, so I'm asking those who actually know, but it seems they have a type of Gulf accent near the coast of Louisiana, an inland Southern accent near the border with OK and Arkansas (maybe typical Dallas, South Oklahoma accent, more similar to AL, western TN), and a more 'cowboy western' type accent in central and western Texas, with perhaps a Midwestern accent strongly tinged with western southern in the panhandle, Amarillo etc. A Latino/Spanish influenced accent in the South and southwest; San Antonio to Corpus Christi etc. And of course the standard American with maybe a southern tinge for some in Austin, Houston.etc.
That's correct. The most notable ones would be between East and West Texas.

Old 04-05-2010, 10:30 AM

624 posts, read 906,522 times
Quote:
There is no Latino/Spanish accent from the anglo population is SA, or for many of the Latino population for that matter. Hispanics who grew up speaking English as their first language and learned Spanish later don't have Latino accents like anybody else learning a second lanuage. However the use of y'all can be heard from both groups.

Old 04-05-2010, 11:48 AM

10,130 posts, read 19,879,750 times
Three:

1. Texan
2. Californian
3. Spanish

Old 04-05-2010, 12:18 PM

122 posts, read 307,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyH View Post
There is no Latino/Spanish accent from the anglo population is SA, or for many of the Latino population for that matter. Hispanics who grew up speaking English as their first language and learned Spanish later don't have Latino accents like anybody else learning a second lanuage. However the use of y'all can be heard from both groups.
That's correct. Hispanics born and who have lived most of their lives, or reared and educated most of their lives in these United States have a much better grasp of American English and its idioms, etc. Not to mention that many are bilingual. Usually there is little or no Spanish accent. Many (ignorant) people assume that all Hispanics (never cared for the term Latino) speak like either Speedy Gonzales or Bill Dana's Jose Jimenez!

Old 04-05-2010, 01:25 PM

624 posts, read 906,522 times
^ I am not a native Texan but moved to SA in elmentary school and was quite surprised when over at a friends house they would answer a parent or grandparent back in Spanish. It never occured to me at that age they even knew Spanish, they sounded like me when speaking English.

Old 04-06-2010, 03:53 PM

5,092 posts, read 8,848,066 times
Quote:
i honestly haven't heard enough native austinites speak to know what their accent sounds like, but assume it's just like the rest of central texas

the houston accent is definitely NOT standard american, and many born and bred (probably not most) houstonians have a considerably thick southern drawl. usually, the only ones who speak "standard american" are those who might of grown up in the outskirts or more upper class areas where there might be a high concentration of people not from the area

Old 04-06-2010, 04:11 PM

8,376 posts, read 30,702,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
the houston accent is definitely NOT standard american, and many born and bred (probably not most) houstonians have a considerably thick southern drawl. usually, the only ones who speak "standard american" are those who might of grown up in the outskirts or more upper class areas where there might be a high concentration of people not from the area

This map shows standard American has been diluting the area (as well as DFW) for quite awhile. See date in lower right:

http://www.lib.utexas.edu/maps/atlas...ct_english.jpg

The drawl is still around, usually among the elderly, blue collar workers, or blacks. Although the AA accent in Houston is usually 'clearer' than around Beaumont. Aside from that, I have never found it to be all that common. With the population encroaching on 50% Hispanic it's more Mexican/South Texas nowadays in the city. Suburbs are all over the place, including all parts of Texas. There is really no correct way to generalize the area.

Old 04-06-2010, 04:37 PM

5,092 posts, read 8,848,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post
This map shows standard American has been diluting the area (as well as DFW) for quite awhile. See date in lower right:

http://www.lib.utexas.edu/maps/atlas...ct_english.jpg

The drawl is still around, usually among the elderly, blue collar workers, or blacks. Although the AA accent in Houston is usually 'clearer' than around Beaumont. Aside from that, I have never found it to be all that common. With the population encroaching on 50% Hispanic it's more Mexican/South Texas nowadays in the city. Suburbs are all over the place, including all parts of Texas. There is really no correct way to generalize the area.
well yeah, but the same can be said for pretty much all the major metros of the south: houston, dallas, atlanta, charlotte, even little rock lol. but like i was telling someone else in another thread, to find the "real" houston you'll have to go into those neighborhoods where there are the least outside influences

and no offense, but i would never call houston south texas (even though it is southern texas). i've even found that mexicans born and raised in houston tend to be very different than mexicans from san antonio. i was shocked, when in houston, after i heard a hispanic person speak with a southern accent for the first time in my life. i didn't even know that was possible
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas