Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2010, 12:41 AM

5,092 posts, read 8,808,704 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Huston-Tillotson is still majority black; St Phillps College is majority hispanic and white.
oh okay. i honestly wasn't sure about h-t

Old 04-23-2010, 07:49 AM

20,502 posts, read 33,343,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweethearttx View Post
I did research on this. Dallas has the largest African-American population of the major cities in Texas. Houston is not far off. I would say you would be ok in any of the larger cities except Austin. They have a fairly small African-American population in comparison.
Huh? No it doesn't. Houston has more blacks in the city limits and in the metropolitan area.

Old 04-23-2010, 05:25 PM

563 posts, read 1,706,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Huh? No it doesn't. Houston has more blacks in the city limits and in the metropolitan area.
Not according to what I researched last year. Really it's almost the same, so it's nothing to argue about.

Old 04-24-2010, 09:56 AM

4,726 posts, read 11,924,208 times
Frankly I don't think any of the historically black universities in Texas have a great academic reputation. Moreover, places like Texas Southern were started literally in the dying days of racial segregation as a way of complying with the old Plesey v. Ferguson standard of "separate but equal" -- as I understand it Texas Southern University was started after WWII specifically to provide a law school for African-Americans so that the state didn't have to admit them to UT. It's a pretty shameful history, really. Of course, all state historically black universities anywhere are going to have their origins in state segregation in a way that is somewhat different from the privately funded historically black institutions. The problem is, most of the private schools just don't have the money to provide a first class education and facilities and I think that's certainly true of the institutions in Texas. Schools farther east that have more money and longer histories are likely to be better than the ones in Texas.

Old 04-24-2010, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorjef View Post
Frankly I don't think any of the historically black universities in Texas have a great academic reputation. Moreover, places like Texas Southern were started literally in the dying days of racial segregation as a way of complying with the old Plesey v. Ferguson standard of "separate but equal" -- as I understand it Texas Southern University was started after WWII specifically to provide a law school for African-Americans so that the state didn't have to admit them to UT. It's a pretty shameful history, really. Of course, all state historically black universities anywhere are going to have their origins in state segregation in a way that is somewhat different from the privately funded historically black institutions. The problem is, most of the private schools just don't have the money to provide a first class education and facilities and I think that's certainly true of the institutions in Texas. Schools farther east that have more money and longer histories are likely to be better than the ones in Texas.
it's not fair, but this sounds about right. it's a real shame, but texas' hbcu's are definitely not your howard/hampton/morehouse/spelman/etc.

Old 04-24-2010, 11:22 AM

I thought someone should mention for the benefit of the OP that Austin has a pretty small African-American population in comparison to Dallas and Houston. The reaction of a lot of middle class black folks to Austin is "Where are all the black people?" I say this as someone who prefers Austin to everywhere else in Texas, having lived there for a total of 22 years. However, the relatively small black population might be considered by the OP to be a drawback.

Old 04-24-2010, 11:33 AM

Quote:
I thought someone should mention for the benefit of the OP that Austin has a pretty small African-American population in comparison to Dallas and Houston. The reaction of a lot of middle class black folks to Austin is "Where are all the black people?" I say this as someone who prefers Austin to everywhere else in Texas, having lived there for a total of 22 years. However, the relatively small black population might be considered by the OP to be a drawback.
numerous posters have already pointed that out

Old 04-24-2010, 11:51 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,063,887 times
Quote:
Texas Southern University produces 30% of Black Pharmacist in the country, one of the top debate teams, and the most diverse law school in the country. It might not have a good reputation, but the school is much better than what people believe.

Old 04-24-2010, 12:16 PM

As far as law schools, probably only Saint Mary's is considered worse by practicing lawyers in Texas (unless they attend St Mary's, of course).

Pharmacy was one of the Texas legislature's original mandates for Texas Southern when it was founded in 1947. I researched it and found that as I thought it was indeed founded in order to deal with a lawsuit against the state because a prospective law student couldn't be admitted to law school anywhere else in Texas. The Texas Leg. turned an old Negro College operated by the Houston ISD into a university -- it had exactly one building when it was started, but as the Leg. was in a hurry to deal with the problem, they hijacked a vocational junior college because it already had an existing body of students, so saved the Leg. from having to invent the new Texas State University for Negroes (as it was originally called) completely from scratch.

Oh, I forgot that formerly proprietary law school that Texas Weslyan took over a few years ago -- I'm pretty sure most serious attorneys consider that a bit of a joke as well.

Old 04-24-2010, 12:37 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,786,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweethearttx View Post
I would say you would be ok in any of the larger cities except Austin. They have a fairly small African-American population in comparison.
I don't really agree. Austin has what, about 10% Blacks? That's larger than the Asian populations of Houston and DFW (which are both around 5%) but you still see Asians flocking to these cities in droves. It doesn't bother them.

Houston and Dallas are about 25% Black. Is this really so much more to make such statements? These are nothing like Atlanta, DC, Chicago etc. which have a much larger percentage of the population as Black. In Houston and Dallas (and Austin) the largest minority group is Hispanic.

One of our best family friends is Black, very dark-skinned at that, grew up in Austin and lives in Pflugerville now. He loves it and has no complaints. I don't think you'd get him to move out of the Austin metro unless he was in a casket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthmoreAve View Post
It really is between Dallas or Houston.
Don't really agree with this either, for reasons stated above.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas