Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2010, 09:16 PM

383 posts, read 222,561 times

Advertisements

I just saw a news piece says the economy is much better in Texas than other parts where I am living now unemployment is at around 10-11% I can not find work and what work my wife can find is minimum wage that doesn't help much. A 3 bedroom apt is 600$ a month here. I have a class b cdl where in Texas should I look to get a job? What sites do yall use for jobs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2010, 10:11 PM

4,604 posts, read 8,228,724 times
There are four main interstates in Texas, three of which are 10, 35 and 45 and form a triangle. That's the central business district. Look there.

Old 04-19-2010, 10:17 PM

1,063 posts, read 3,756,032 times
I wouldn't believe everything you hear or see in the media. TX is doing ok but it doesn't mean that we don't have our share of issues with the economy either. It is hard to find a job here because everyone else is competing for those jobs too and if you live out of state trying to secure a job in TX, imo that it makes it even harder.

Old 04-20-2010, 01:10 AM

55 posts, read 158,344 times
I have a friend that lives in Houston and he says it's much better over there. A website I saw said that San Antonio and Houston are doing the best over all for job prospects. I've been thinking about moving back too since I live in L.A. and it's nearly impossible to land a really good job here now. I've resigned myself to just do house cleaning and other part time jobs to make ends meet. I have a BBA, by the way.
And now you have to apply "online" and you don't even know if they received your resume or not. I'm constantly looking for work. It's tough out here. REally bad. Don't move to Cali.

Old 04-20-2010, 03:54 AM

3,702 posts, read 18,208,805 times
TX has a lower unemployment rate than others at the moment. That does not mean companies are hiring with any speed. It does mean that they are not laying off as much as other areas. There are jobs out there, but there is a huge amount of competition not only from TX residents but from folks like yourself that are hearing that TX is in good shape.

On a side note, keep in mind that in any of the major cities, you will looking at 1000+ for a 3 BR apartment that is not a dump. So if you head this way without a job, you better have some cash reserves. Electric utilities are also quite a bit more expensive than in other areas.

Old 04-20-2010, 07:50 AM

383 posts, read 222,561 times
Thanks for the helpful information. It seems like the midwest is the least hit areas. Last I heard and saw the Dakota's and Nebraska had the lowest unemployment rates I guess throw Texas in there now as well. I will look around see what I can find.

Old 04-20-2010, 03:01 PM

55 posts, read 158,344 times
Thanks Poltracker for your info. I'm a native Texan and could move back in with my mom for a while although she's in a small town a long way away from the metroplex of Dallas/Fort Worth. Think I'll stay in Cali and stick it out. No luck on a job yet though. Doing odd jobs at the moment and I have a BBA. It's tough out there.

Old 04-20-2010, 07:48 PM

3,702 posts, read 18,208,805 times
For what its worth...paper article today said that Kohls was hiring 1000 people in the San Antonio area.
Good luck to both of you and welcome (back) to Texas if you make it here.

Old 04-20-2010, 09:52 PM

3,823 posts, read 14,665,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poltracker View Post
For what its worth...paper article today said that Kohls was hiring 1000 people in the San Antonio area.
Good luck to both of you and welcome (back) to Texas if you make it here.
Most of the jobs will be call center-related with average pay of $14 an hour. San Antonio is still expanding with businesses moving to San Antonio. The military presence is also expanding here due to BRAC increases in the medical training and cyber security fields.

Old 04-21-2010, 07:56 AM

5,439 posts, read 7,726,033 times
The four major urban areas in Texas in order of size are Dallas/Fort Worth, Houston, San Antonio, and Austin.

Of the four, Austin probably has the weakest economy and would be the toughest place to find work as it is something of a lifestyle mecca that draws lots of young people from around the country. Austin just has so many people who want to live there and are willing to take whatever job they can find just to be living in Austin. That's not nearly so much the case in Dallas and Houston.

I don't exactly know what a Class B CDL is. What type of jobs would you be looking for? Is that delivery type work or trucking? Both the Dallas/Fort Worth area and the Houston area are so massive that you won't possibly be able to cover them in a job search. More likely just one region of one of those major cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas