Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2010, 12:43 AM

1,194 posts, read 3,973,903 times

Advertisements

No need to worry folks. Gubnor Prettyhair will be our leader for another 4 years.

The coyotes will live a little longer. And if you are feeling safer since Ricky is protecting us from coyotes, Anita has her carpet sample books out.

Anita unfortunately is bummed because she lives in Westlake in a little old rental for $9900.00 a month I am helping to pay for. Meanwhile, we are going to add another few hundred square feet to the Mansion so its bigger. Bigger is big in Big Rick World. Like the big oil spill is an act of God.

He said the BP blowout preventer accident was an "act of God." Don't shame me. He's an Aggie Forestry Major. His brilliant undersea engineer skills are proving me to be the community idiot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2010, 07:25 AM

9,352 posts, read 20,021,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheryjohns View Post

heh heh heh .....

spot on......

Old 05-06-2010, 01:05 PM

8,309 posts, read 38,766,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majormadmax View Post
What concerned me is his comment that he had to "charge" his pistol before shooting the attacking coyote...he (and anyone who carries a weapon) should carry them in Condition 1, ready to shoot. The time it took him to rack the slide on his Ruger .380 could have made a difference between stopping the attacking animal and him and/or the dog being attacked!
I have no idea what your level of proficiency and competency is with handguns and you may be someone I would have no problem standing next to with a hot pistol, but I take great exception to the idea that anyone who carries a weapon should do so with one in the tube.

There are definitely situations when it is prudent, appropriate or even "called-for" but I don't think those situations are "always".

I've known more than a handful of very professional, very competent prior service personnel who have had accidental discharges. There sure as hell isn't anything stopping some slob on the street from blowing his toe off, or worse, mine.

Old 05-06-2010, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
If only the coyote had attacked the Gov himself. this story is just one more piece of publicity for his image. He's a Palin-ette.
Perry is definitely vulnerable to the same sort of attack that Palin was, but there is a big difference between the two: Perry is actually quite a shrewd politician. Palin is a wannabe.

Perry just floated a pretty clear message to the nationwide NRA crowd and the "almost joined the NRA when Obama was elected" crowd courtesy of a negatively slanted snippet from the AP. He knows that swing votes are not going to win an election for him but getting everyone right of center nice and polarized and very excited about voting the gun-hating, oil-hating, tax-loving hippy out of office will.

If there is any doubt that Perry is running for president in 2012, there shouldn't be. I think it's more likely that we will see Perry as a VP candidate for someone like Romney, but you never can tell...

Old 05-06-2010, 01:29 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,175,776 times
Perry is a "shrewd politician", I've give you that. But after watching the gubernatorial debates, I was appalled by his performance. Rather than answering any of the specific questions, he fell back on his boilerplate about what a great place Texas is and why everyone in every other state wants to live here.

I'm a liberal in some respects who likes guns. But I don't agree with his shooting the coyote.

Old 05-06-2010, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
Perry is a "shrewd politician", I've give you that. But after watching the gubernatorial debates, I was appalled by his performance. Rather than answering any of the specific questions, he fell back on his boilerplate about what a great place Texas is and why everyone in every other state wants to live here.

I'm a liberal in some respects who likes guns. But I don't agree with his shooting the coyote.
My knee jerk is to sort of question whether or not he actually shot a coyote... Producing and discharging a firearm in a public place is pretty far out of the customary envelope for just about any CCP holder, Rick Perry or not.

Old 05-06-2010, 02:06 PM

9,418 posts, read 13,489,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
My knee jerk is to sort of question whether or not he actually shot a coyote... Producing and discharging a firearm in a public place is pretty far out of the customary envelope for just about any CCP holder, Rick Perry or not.
The more I think about it, the more I wonder whether it really did happen. It was supposed to have happened back in February, but didn't make news until April? And the way he describes the encounter, it just sounds like such BS.

Old 05-06-2010, 11:53 PM

18,125 posts, read 25,266,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
I have no idea what your level of proficiency and competency is with handguns and you may be someone I would have no problem standing next to with a hot pistol, but I take great exception to the idea that anyone who carries a weapon should do so with one in the tube.
That goes to the core of the gun rights debate.
If you own a gun for self protection, it's supposed to be ready to protect you.
Besides, I hope you don't assume that people go around with unloaded guns and bullets in their pockets "ready to be loaded"

Old 05-07-2010, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
That goes to the core of the gun rights debate.
If you own a gun for self protection, it's supposed to be ready to protect you.
Besides, I hope you don't assume that people go around with unloaded guns and bullets in their pockets "ready to be loaded"
There is a big, big difference between an empty chamber (or having the hammer rest on an empty cylinder in a revolver) and an unloaded weapon. There are conditions where I will carry my sidearm charged, but in most of the day-to-day the need for safety overrides the need to avoid working the slide.

How does carrying your weapon in "condition 1" go to the core of the gun rights debate? I had been under the impression that the core of the gun rights debate was whether or not we have the right to keep and bear.

Old 05-07-2010, 07:16 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,383,992 times
Back when I learned to shoot, back in the Dark Ages when everyone had a gun and kids learned to handle firearms early (I was 8, and I was a late bloomer), we were also instructed in gun safety. So, out for a jog? (Though nobody had even heard of jogging, except by a horse, then, the concept transfers easily enough.) The gun would be loaded, but not ready to go off at a moment's notice. That was considered responsible (and not stupid).

Now, law enforcement (I was taught to shoot a handgun, initially, by a Texas Ranger), going someplace where it was likely they'd be shot at? That would be the appropriate time to have your gun ready to shoot at a moment's notice (though, actually, you would have had more notice because you'd be sneaking up on the bad guys).

If you're responsible, and armed for self-protection, of course, there would almost never be "a moment's notice", because part of that responsibility is being aware of what's going on around you in hopes that you will never have to use the gun for that purpose.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas