Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2010, 12:20 AM

54 posts, read 154,795 times

Advertisements

I wanted to see what cities you all would suggest in Texas that don't have a problem with interracial couples?

I am white/Mexican and my husband is Black/Puerto Rican and my kids are more white than anything else, but my husband is thier adoptive father! We are looking to relocate to a lower cost of living and a place where jobs are available, but also am not blind to the fact that there are still people with problems with mixed couples.

Sorry for being so direct, but we have dealt with this sort of thing before!
Thank you all for any help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2010, 12:41 AM

867 posts, read 2,976,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blmccloud View Post
I wanted to see what cities you all would suggest in Texas that don't have a problem with interracial couples?

I am white/Mexican and my husband is Black/Puerto Rican and my kids are more white than anything else, but my husband is thier adoptive father! We are looking to relocate to a lower cost of living and a place where jobs are available, but also am not blind to the fact that there are still people with problems with mixed couples.

Sorry for being so direct, but we have dealt with this sort of thing before!
Thank you all for any help!
My mom is white as a cloud (grew up in Green Bay, WI, arguably one of the "whitest" parts of the US), my dad is mainland Chinese and lived in Texas my whole life. I currently reside in Huntsville, TX. It's really what you make of it. There are people who do have their issues with it, but I would imagine, save maybe for most parts of California and Hawaii, most places have people who frown on it to some degree even in this day in age.

Most urban areas (Austin, Houston) are fairly progressive on this issue. I would stay away from deep East Texas and most rural areas.

Old 04-27-2010, 03:06 AM

Thanks for the reply & info

Old 04-27-2010, 06:05 AM

4,726 posts, read 11,974,466 times
I'd suggest Austin as the most truly accepting city, and by that I mean the City of Austin proper, not most of its suburbs -- even better, central Austin, north of Ben White and south of approximately 51st St. or North Loop and east of MoPac. To bound central Austin in, I would normally say I-35, but the historically African-American and Hispanic areas east of I-35 are being progressively gentrified so that there are some good possibilities over there, probably especially in the Manor Road area (the oldest area of gentrification). My personal preferences for neighborhoods in central Austin would be Hyde Park, Bryker Woods, Bolden, and Travis Heights; also Rosedale, essentially abutting Bryker Woods. Zilker and Barton Hills are also good, as is Clarksville. Sadly, in all these cases you are paying a premium to live in Central or South Central Austin. Bolden is probably the area where you can still find the best deals even now (all this is relevant, of course, primarily if you were buying rather than renting). There are also some other little pockets in South Central Austin that I never knew what the neighborhoods were called even when I lived there -- some other little pockets between South Lamar and South Congress that aren't Bolden and that are kind of invisiblely hidden away back there.

Old 04-27-2010, 06:45 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,728,228 times
My wife and I are interracial and we have not had even the slightest issue in Dallas or any of its suburbs.

Old 04-27-2010, 06:55 AM

And I really don't think that an interracial couple is likely to have problems in Dallas, Fort Worth, San Antonio, Austin or Houston, confining the discussion only to the larger cities. When I commend central Austin it's just because I think overall Austin has the greatest and longest-running tradition of what I might term libertarian liberalism -- live and let live, and celebration of diversity. Dallas and Houston also have neighborhoods that are well known for diversity, urbanity and acceptance, but Austin as a whole has IMO the most generally enculturated tradition of that.

Old 04-27-2010, 07:20 AM

thank you all for your replies, this is making me feel better and better about texas!

Old 04-27-2010, 07:44 AM

42 posts, read 206,442 times
I am a bit biased, being a native Austinite, but Austin would definitely be the best choice over all. It is a very accepting city IMHO.

Old 04-27-2010, 09:36 AM

5,007 posts, read 15,416,797 times
Stay out of backwoods Texas and nobody will care at all. Any major city and you'll be fine.

Last edited by getmeoutofhere; 04-27-2010 at 09:49 AM..

Old 04-27-2010, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by getmeoutofhere View Post
Stay our of backwoods Texas and nobody will care at all. Any major city and you'll be fine.
I think that really sums it up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas