Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-27-2007, 12:51 PM

375 posts, read 1,726,391 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I would love to get your opinions!

We are looking for an area to retire to. We do have children (Jr High & High school).

How are the neighborhoods, schools & crime around Lake Livinston?
We would love to find a lake front home.
How far away are the schools?
Does anyone know the CC & Rs/county rules regarding Dogs?
Can you fence the back yard?

We are looking for a quiet peaceful areas.
How is the Weather? People?

Thanks!

PS. I lived in San Antonio, TX when I was a child. I now live in CA and looking into moving back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2007, 06:03 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,903,112 times
pine trees--which i hate--makes me feel claustrophobic...

you have a computer and access to Internet--have you looked at the county's web site for some of your answers...and looked at a map
have you checked an MLS local site to see prices/availability of lake property
think the fence issue defers to whether or not there is HOA to set standards...
have you checked the schools in the area on the Internet--the TEA web site has current TAKS ratings for school--I am sure each school has a web site now--most do--how informative remains to be seen...

have you posted on the Houston board since that is more specific than TX general

Old 05-28-2007, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
pine trees--which i hate--makes me feel claustrophobic...

you have a computer and access to Internet--have you looked at the county's web site for some of your answers...and looked at a map
have you checked an MLS local site to see prices/availability of lake property
think the fence issue defers to whether or not there is HOA to set standards...
have you checked the schools in the area on the Internet--the TEA web site has current TAKS ratings for school--I am sure each school has a web site now--most do--how informative remains to be seen...

have you posted on the Houston board since that is more specific than TX general

I was trying to get personal opinions from people that may have been to this area.

YES, I have checked out maps, MLS, neighborhood info & school info sites. But that doesn't give you the REAL info of what is going on in an area now does it??

Thanks anyways! I LOVE pine trees!! So that's a plus!!

Old 05-29-2007, 05:10 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,903,112 times
but if you saw anything when you googled that struck your fancy, then you could ask specific questions instead of more general ones which make it difficult for people to offer feedback that provides more insightful information....we don't have a clue what your personal tastes are...except that you like pine trees...
what did you see when you searched that struck a chord with you?
would post in Houston forum--more people from that E. TX area congregate there

Old 05-29-2007, 02:40 PM

1 posts, read 3,876 times
I spent 8 years living about an hour from the town of Livingston (obviously not far from lake livingston) in a town called Lufkin. It is quite hot and humid here and the surrounding towns aren't really much to be proud of. There's a lot of "factory" towns around. It's very country in the Piney Woods, so if you're used to woodsy people then you'll be ok. If you're looking for more of a suburbanite life then livingston probably ain't for you.

at least...I wouldn't live there.

Old 06-08-2007, 09:02 AM

Thanks for your advise. I talked to friends in Texas and after what they told me, I will be looking at other states on my list.

Old 06-13-2007, 04:50 PM

2 posts, read 7,865 times
You need to check out Onalaska. It is very small and only 13 miles from Livingston. It sits on Lake Livingston. Nothing is very far away. The people here are so very friendly and willing to help. My husband and I are both retirede and I cannot think of living anywhere else. It hot here as it is everywhere in Texas but there are a lot of trees and if you live close enough to the lake, you get a nice breeze in the evening.

Old 06-14-2007, 06:16 AM

595 posts, read 2,723,642 times
We looked at the Lake Livingston area in September of 06. We also are looking for a retirement home and our youngest is going into 9th grade. My hubby loved the L. Livingston area. It was gorgous and very tropical. However...the town of Livingston was about a 25 minute drive from the neighborhood we really liked.
After looking there, and ALL OVER the Texas Hill Country we have decided to settle outside of Tyler in the city of Lindale...10 miles north of Tyler. Lindale schools are some of the best in the state. We have visited the HS and were very pleased with academic as well as athletic programs. There is a gated community called Hideaway Lake that we have looked at homes. My hubby is a golfer and there are 27 holes of golf ...plus 3 lakes.
Take a look!

Old 06-14-2007, 01:21 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,458,760 times
Very beautiful because of the woods. Livingston is a nice town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas