Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2007, 05:01 PM

20,513 posts, read 33,513,431 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpope409 View Post
Not forever.
It's not like they will seperate themselves at a point where one will be much higher in tier than the other. Dallas will seperate themselves on one end where they have an advantage and Houston will seperate the other.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2007, 05:02 PM

3,073 posts, read 11,572,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
It's not like they will seperate themselves at a point where one will be much higher in tier than the other. Dallas will seperate themselves on one end where they have an advantage and Houston will seperate the other.
Huh????? Explain.

Old 06-16-2007, 05:42 PM

Certainly, Both Dallas and Houston will remain the powerhouses in the state of Texas for a while. Dallas will continue to succeed at it's advantages over HOuston as well as Houston will continue to succeed at it's advantages over Dallas. Both are growing at around the same clip. Both are diversifying their economy. Both are making steps to become beta cities. Both are improving it's retail and shopping amenities with Dallas drawing people from Oklahoma, NW Louisiana, SW Arkansas, Central, and East Texas with Houston drawing people from SW Louisiana, SE Texas, the Texas Gulf Coast, and the Brazos Valley. I cant go on and on. While they excel at different economies, they are two peas in a pod in one fast growing state both in population and in economics.

Old 06-16-2007, 09:49 PM

2,703 posts, read 3,414,444 times
Quote:
Certainly, Both Dallas and Houston will remain the powerhouses in the state of Texas for a while. Dallas will continue to succeed at it's advantages over HOuston as well as Houston will continue to succeed at it's advantages over Dallas. Both are growing at around the same clip. Both are diversifying their economy. Both are making steps to become beta cities. Both are improving it's retail and shopping amenities with Dallas drawing people from Oklahoma, NW Louisiana, SW Arkansas, Central, and East Texas with Houston drawing people from SW Louisiana, SE Texas, the Texas Gulf Coast, and the Brazos Valley. I cant go on and on. While they excel at different economies, they are two peas in a pod in one fast growing state both in population and in economics.
I think Central Texas is holding it own (with SA and Austin), but I agree with you.

Old 06-16-2007, 10:04 PM

I don't know about that. As far as shopping amenities. I think Austinites and San Antonians head to Houston or Dallas to go to those very upscale stores that only exists in those cities in Texas. I know North-Central Texas likes to shop in Austin but when they really want to shop, they head to Dallas.

Old 06-17-2007, 08:25 AM

2,703 posts, read 3,414,444 times
I know many from SA shop in Houston as well. Houston attracts a lot of international shoppers from Mexico (not saying SA is Mexico though).

Old 06-17-2007, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Well first let me say that Houston's shopping draws people from all over the country, and probably the world. The Galleria is a major tourist attraction in the city. People of all walks of life come to see the big mall.

Second, you make very good points, I just don't feel that Dallas and Houston will always be equal. Shoot, I don't think they're equal now. Things change.

Old 06-17-2007, 10:11 AM

Quote:
I don't know about that. As far as shopping amenities. I think Austinites and San Antonians head to Houston or Dallas to go to those very upscale stores that only exists in those cities in Texas. I know North-Central Texas likes to shop in Austin but when they really want to shop, they head to Dallas.
Actually, when I lived in Central Texas, the town to shop in was (need I say it) Houston. We only went to Austin or Dallas if we didn't feel like driving hours upon hours. In the Killeen-Ft. Hood area, when you refer to "the city", people know that you're talking about Houston, even though Dallas is closer.

Old 06-17-2007, 10:28 AM

3,247 posts, read 9,047,815 times
Default Austin you not the prettiest girl at the dance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerilla View Post
HA! No it won't. SA actually grew by less than 300,000 since 2000 (actually, slower than Austin). The Census put it at 1.9 million at the beginning of this year. In ten years, SA may be at 2.5 million. Austin may be just 200,000 behind it. For city proper, it will be awhile before SA gets up to two million.
Austin is the most snobbish city in Texas. It act like a hippyneck that just won the Lottery. The kind that would wear a fur in the summer and diamond to BBQ.Just a few years ago it didn't have a major shopping center. Real player haters. Austin is probably the most overrated city in Texas. Unfortunately, I lived in Austin, from the the inner city to Cedar Park , and in now way it can compare to SA, Dallas or Houston. Yes, Lakeway is beautiful. Austin, unfortunately San Antonio is the one of the fastest growing cities in America just behind Las Vegas, is booming at the seams in the far Northwest and west. The next boom area is east San Antonio where Disney just purchase 800 acres of land. The population boom is is starting now- 31,000 homes plan for NW SA subdivsion-Wow.

I don't hate Austin, but it has the personality that it is the prettiest girl in the school and all others are just second rate.

Old 06-17-2007, 11:01 AM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,679,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imaterry78259 View Post
I don't hate Austin, but it has the personality that it is the prettiest girl in the school and all others are just second rate.
Austin has been Californicated. It's a real shame. Or a great thing, depending on whom you ask. A friend of mine moved there from California, but found he didn't like that he ran into here what he was attempting to run away from there. He works out of Austin and Houston, keeps a home in the Hill Country (not in Austin) and an apartment in Houston. Prefers the attitude, or lack thereof, here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas