Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2010, 12:58 AM

4 posts, read 7,827 times

Advertisements

Hello all very long time reader 1st time poster. We live in Bakersfield, CA born and raised 2 boys 11 and 8. We are 34 & 33 years old we have 2 business 1 is in farming the other is a gun store. Because of so much state regulating we are being forced to shut our doors on our farming business which leaves us to our gun store. Our gun store is doing wonderful better then the others in this town because of our customer service we were thinking about expanding here and putting in a new shooting range. But this state has got me so pissed off I cant stand it anymore CA DOJ and regulation on firearms here makes it almost impossible to have great customer service but we manage. So here it is as I dont want to give up on all of my customers Im going to see how this election turns out in CA and if we still have all these quaks running this state after the election my family is ready to go invest our money somewhere else start a new life somewhere else. So here is the 2nd pitch could Midland use a new gun store with possible shooting range that puts you the customers 1st? And 2 we are very into youth sports does Midland of a lot of youth sports program Like Soccer , Basket Ball, and mainly Baseball? and schools how are they any private or are schools better in TX vs liberal CA? Sorry for rambling I am so fed up here in this state. Thank you to all that take the time and respond
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2010, 02:03 AM

5,406 posts, read 13,275,575 times
I know very little about Midland, but please do heavy research before you make a move to Texas. The grass isn't always greener on the other side.

Old 05-14-2010, 09:03 AM

Thank you for your reply.. I am for sure not making any move until I have heavily researched. I just know that things are only getting worse here in Bakersfield.

Old 05-14-2010, 09:25 AM

2,326 posts, read 3,934,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canine*Castle View Post
I know very little about Midland, but please do heavy research before you make a move to Texas. The grass isn't always greener on the other side.
Midland, like most of West Texas, has low humidity in comparison to Dallas, Houston, Austin, etc. if that's what you're getting at.

To the OP, Texas is far less anti-business than your state (of course about 30-40 states can claim that).

I'm pretty sure Midland has all the things you were asking about regarding sports. I'm not sure about schools, but there are probably good ones.

Looks like Midland has a similar climate to Bakersfield, but with more precipitation.

Anyway, good luck wherever you go.

Old 05-14-2010, 09:39 AM

20 posts, read 63,583 times
I was raised in Midland. Ill just start with the weather.. it gets really hot, BUT it is a dry heat, and since it is in the desert, it cools off a lot in the evenings. It does not rain much... When it does, all of the main streets will flood and hence on of the main streets is referred to as "wadley river". Great Thunderstorms when it rains! West Texas is big on sports! A Ton of teams for your kids to check out! There is an ice hockey team in Odessa and Midland has a baseball team. Its a great place with really friendly people. As far as schools go, there are three big private schools - Midland Christian, Trinity, and St. Anns... and a couple of other smaller ones. They are really good schools... the public schools arent horrible.. just regular public schools. There are also a lot of magnet schools if that interests you. I would be surprised if you run into any liberals at all in Midland Tx... I think that sums your questions up! If you have any others.. feel free to message me... after-all, i spent 19 years in the town!

Old 05-14-2010, 02:08 PM

1,506 posts, read 4,279,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWilliams View Post
I was raised in Midland. Ill just start with the weather.. it gets really hot, BUT it is a dry heat, and since it is in the desert, it cools off a lot in the evenings. It does not rain much... When it does, all of the main streets will flood and hence on of the main streets is referred to as "wadley river". Great Thunderstorms when it rains! West Texas is big on sports! A Ton of teams for your kids to check out! There is an ice hockey team in Odessa and Midland has a baseball team. Its a great place with really friendly people. As far as schools go, there are three big private schools - Midland Christian, Trinity, and St. Anns... and a couple of other smaller ones. They are really good schools... the public schools arent horrible.. just regular public schools. There are also a lot of magnet schools if that interests you. I would be surprised if you run into any liberals at all in Midland Tx... I think that sums your questions up! If you have any others.. feel free to message me... after-all, i spent 19 years in the town!
No, no, no! Its called the Rio Wadley! And the drainage system on the west side of Odessa is called the Rio Draino.

Old 05-14-2010, 05:50 PM

8,746 posts, read 9,031,285 times
I lived in Midland for a little while back in the 90's and still have some family there. Midland is a very nice city and based on what you said, I think you would enjoy it there. As mentioned above, Midland is a very family-oriented city and mostly conservative. In addition to that it should be much less expensive to live there than in Bakersfield. One thing that really struck me when I lived in Midland was how the overwhelming majority of the city has nice neighborhoods (very few run-down looking areas). Another bonus is that Odessa is only about 10 miles away, a city of about the same size as Midland (both about 100,000 in population), so you could advertise your business in both cities.

Old 05-14-2010, 06:22 PM

5,406 posts, read 13,275,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoe01 View Post
Midland, like most of West Texas, has low humidity in comparison to Dallas, Houston, Austin, etc. if that's what you're getting at.
I wasn't getting at anything except telling the OP I know very little about Midland. Remember, he mentioned moving to Midland OR any part of Texas, hence my mentioning to do research first. It had nothing to do with Midland. Of course, I should have known that he intends to do so.

Old 05-14-2010, 08:31 PM

4,030 posts, read 10,762,350 times
We lived in Midland for 17 years and loved it there. We knew several families from Bakersfield there, and they always said the 2 towns were similar. I can't tell you how, I've never been to Bakersfield. Schools are decent, and as someone else mentioned there are several good private schools there too. Yes, sports is huge. My kids played soccer and little league baseball there.

Old 05-15-2010, 01:36 PM

Thank you to those that have replied. We are going to fly out as soon as school gets out here 2 weeks. Check out some houses and buildings. Please keep the info coming and again thank you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas