Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2010, 09:49 PM

9 posts, read 13,206 times

Advertisements

...as do most states with high education standards with desirable living conditions and prospects. Bubble didn't burst.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2010, 06:39 AM

4,030 posts, read 10,763,494 times
Austin is a great city. Very pretty setting and lots things going on all the time. Lots of great shopping, and great music and arts scene. It will not keep you within your desire of being within an hour to the beach however. It will be closesr to 4 hours to Galveston and not much closer to Corpus Christi. That's assuming no traffic anywhere. We lived in a Houston suburb, and it was still an hour or better to the beach.

Also, in my previous post, I was not trying to be rude by asking if you'd ever been to Texas before, but there seems to be a large number of people that think they know what its like, and once they get there, they realize that they really had no clue. It can be a bit of a shock to people. Additionally, I just hate to see people just pack up and move somewhere, with a preconcieved notion of what it is, to get there and find out they really didn't know at all.

Old 05-18-2010, 09:58 AM

I have not been to Texas though I have some good friends who have visited and lived there in Dallas and Austin area. I don't have many preconceived notions and will be going with an open mind and some good advice(with more to come). I am currently starting the application for reciprocity for teaching and would appreciate any continued helpful advice. Don't worry about other post it's an honest question no offense taken.

Old 05-18-2010, 03:19 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,047,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahb125 View Post
I have not been to Texas though I have some good friends who have visited and lived there in Dallas and Austin area. I don't have many preconceived notions and will be going with an open mind and some good advice(with more to come). I am currently starting the application for reciprocity for teaching and would appreciate any continued helpful advice. Don't worry about other post it's an honest question no offense taken.
Congratulations, Austin is a great city to live in, as are all the Texas cities.

Old 06-02-2010, 05:19 PM

I've been reading some other threads and some people have suggested starting the application process to districts while waiting for 1 yr teaching certificate. I sent an app to RRISD and had to take the gallup online test. What are everyone's thoughts on applying to districts in the Austin area? Any suggestions on districts? Does anybody have information on the likelihood of having some sort of advantage of teaching experience and a master's? Thanks so much

Old 06-02-2010, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahb125 View Post
I've been reading some other threads and some people have suggested starting the application process to districts while waiting for 1 yr teaching certificate. I sent an app to RRISD and had to take the gallup online test. What are everyone's thoughts on applying to districts in the Austin area? Any suggestions on districts? Does anybody have information on the likelihood of having some sort of advantage of teaching experience and a master's? Thanks so much
I think the Austin area is a strong market for teachers, and so is the Houston area.

Masters? You can do that easily in Austin. UT, you can do that even easier in Houston UH. It would be a lot more cost efficient at UH.

But all in all, yes, apply to some teaching jobs across various metro areas in the state, Austin, Houston, DFW, and San Antonio.

Old 06-06-2010, 06:29 AM

Thanks for responding to post Om. There's a lot of conflicting information on some posts but after researching the area and the market in Austin I decided also that it too would be a good area to look. I'll continue to do and keep my fingers crossed

Old 06-06-2010, 08:28 AM

1,694 posts, read 3,622,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmShahi View Post
I think the Austin area is a strong market for teachers, and so is the Houston area.

Masters? You can do that easily in Austin. UT, you can do that even easier in Houston UH. It would be a lot more cost efficient at UH.

But all in all, yes, apply to some teaching jobs across various metro areas in the state, Austin, Houston, DFW, and San Antonio.

You also have Concordia University and Texas State in SM also Southwestern in georgetown if she didn't want go to UT

Old 06-06-2010, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgrn198 View Post
You also have Concordia University and Texas State in SM also Southwestern in georgetown if she didn't want go to UT
Is Concordia in San Antonio? I've heard the name of that school somewhere, just can't remember if it's SA or ATX.

Old 06-06-2010, 04:02 PM

1,694 posts, read 3,622,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmShahi View Post
Is Concordia in San Antonio? I've heard the name of that school somewhere, just can't remember if it's SA or ATX.

No it's here in Austin they used to be where the East Avenue development is but now there out off 620

Concordia University Texas Home Page
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas