Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2010, 07:50 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,049,308 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overcooked_Oatmeal View Post
It's sad what's happening. But hey, at least Texas will become the Theocratic Dystopia that so many of them desire.

I've always said that an uninformed population is an easily influenced one. Thank your friends of the New World Order for that
If you don't live in Texas, then why the **c*ing hell are you in the Texas forum talking trash about it continuously. I think we get it, you hate Texas, I also think we get what your point is, you've repeatedly stated it like a thousand times in the last page.

You live in Philly? Go out and enjoy your city, why are you always bashing us?

Everyone makes mistakes they're not proud of, why can't you let us live with it, we're coping with this better than you are, and we're residents.

You think the Japanese weren't affected when we nuked them and crippled people from surrounding areas? Some kids born generations later were born with the affects of the radiation from those bombs.
You think German's are proud of what happened in WWII?
You think Japanese are proud of what they did to the Chinese?
You think the English are proud of what they have left now, being restricted to that isle of theirs when they controlled the world?
You think the French are proud of King Louis?
You think Italy is proud of Mussolini?

Gosh, just stop.

Old 05-25-2010, 09:25 PM

965 posts, read 1,886,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmShahi View Post
If you don't live in Texas, then why the **c*ing hell are you in the Texas forum talking trash about it continuously. I think we get it, you hate Texas, I also think we get what your point is, you've repeatedly stated it like a thousand times in the last page.

You live in Philly? Go out and enjoy your city, why are you always bashing us?

Everyone makes mistakes they're not proud of, why can't you let us live with it, we're coping with this better than you are, and we're residents.

You think the Japanese weren't affected when we nuked them and crippled people from surrounding areas? Some kids born generations later were born with the affects of the radiation from those bombs.
You think German's are proud of what happened in WWII?
You think Japanese are proud of what they did to the Chinese?
You think the English are proud of what they have left now, being restricted to that isle of theirs when they controlled the world?
You think the French are proud of King Louis?
You think Italy is proud of Mussolini?

Gosh, just stop.
As a former resident as well as someone who still has some financial and personal ties to the state, I think I have a say in what I feel is an appalling situation. This isn't just a "Texan" issue - the general dumbing down of society is a national issue. Whatever content is put in these textbooks doesn't only affect Texas. You can throw all the hysterical, infantile temper tantrums all you want, but it sure has hell isn't going to stop me from expressing myself and how I feel about the situation. I was contributing to the conversation, but you decided to choose my post to air out your frustrations with me. How dreadful and sad. If you don't like what I say, put me on your ignore list and go on living in your bubble. Whatevr works for you in your little world.

Old 05-25-2010, 09:41 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,049,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overcooked_Oatmeal View Post
As a former resident as well as someone who still has some financial and personal ties to the state, I think I have a say in what I feel is an appalling situation. This isn't just a "Texan" issue - the general dumbing down of society is a national issue. Whatever content is put in these textbooks doesn't only affect Texas. You can throw all the hysterical, infantile temper tantrums all you want, but it sure has hell isn't going to stop me from expressing myself and how I feel about the situation. I was contributing to the conversation, but you decided to choose my post to air out your frustrations with me. How dreadful and sad. If you don't like what I say, put me on your ignore list and go on living in your bubble. Whatevr works for you in your little world.

It's clear you have a problem with Texas, I noticed in the thread that talked about over weight people, your description of over weight/obese people is something that I didn't take to kindly too. I'm not one, but it's something that bothers me. Especially how you "dehumanized" them to make them seem like they are inferior.

That may be part of my frustration.

Oh yeah? I'm glad you're so concerned about the education here in Texas, please, the next time you visit, go straight to the capital in Austin, there'll be a Limo waiting for you outside of Bergstrom, it'll take you straight to the governor. Express your problems with him, because he sure as hell hasn't shown he's cared... if you want to help, then try that first.

And no, you do have every right to say something about Texas. I wish I could show you the comments you've made in this thread in the past, but I can't they have been deleted.

Hate Texas, that's up to you.
Hate the people, also again up to you.
But to come into the Texas forum and constantly irritate everyone over pointless issues, not cool.

I'm not any happier with this than you are, and if they're really going to do this, then by gosh, I lost massive respect for our educational system. But I'm not going to sit here in Chicago, and act like since I'm in another part of the country that we don't have problems and pick on Texas for theirs.

With all due respect oatmeal, get over it. And I'm sorry I sounded harsh, but I don't appreciate half of your comments just by the kind of tone you use. You can say it better than that and still get your point across.

Old 05-25-2010, 10:17 PM

965 posts, read 1,886,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmShahi View Post
It's clear you have a problem with Texas, I noticed in the thread that talked about over weight people, your description of over weight/obese people is something that I didn't take to kindly too. I'm not one, but it's something that bothers me. Especially how you "dehumanized" them to make them seem like they are inferior.
I said nothing like that. I acknowleged how delicious the food is in Texas, but conceding that things like fried coke and chicken-fried steak aren't healthy. I was asking why did some Texans on that forum complained about being on the "fattest cities" list, but popular staples of Texan cuisine aren't exactly the most healthy things and how people can't have it both ways. I wasn't dehumanizing people of size either or thinking they were inferior. How did you come to that conclusion. Some folks are fat and some folks are thin. Obesity is a nationwide problem that needs to be resolved though. It's one of the leading causes of preventable death, is it not?

Quote:
Oh yeah? I'm glad you're so concerned about the education here in Texas, please, the next time you visit, go straight to the capital in Austin, there'll be a Limo waiting for you outside of Bergstrom, it'll take you straight to the governor. Express your problems with him, because he sure as hell hasn't shown he's cared... if you want to help, then try that first.
Governor GoodHair would sell his own mother and firstborn child for the right price, so I know he is of no use to communicate with. I'll do my due diligence as a citizen and write letters, sign petitions, and pay close attention to elections, expressing my disdain for the situation. Better than sitting around kvetching on a message board all high and mighty and getting angry with others who dare to speak their opinion.

Quote:
And no, you do have every right to say something about Texas. I wish I could show you the comments you've made in this thread in the past, but I can't they have been deleted.
When all else fails, cite some phantom posts that I allegedly wrote that you can no longer find in order to support your argument. Mmmkay...

Quote:
I'm not any happier with this than you are, and if they're really going to do this, then by gosh, I lost massive respect for our educational system. But I'm not going to sit here in Chicago, and act like since I'm in another part of the country that we don't have problems and pick on Texas for theirs.
Which is why i said that this is a national issue, not just a Texas issue. I did say this is part of a national trend of the dumbing down of the general population. A lack of critical thinking skills as well as a lack of knowledge will be our downfall as a nation, mark my words. If I were to ever bring crotchfruit into the world, I'd make sure I do my role as a parent and tell them how things really are, no matter where I am. Good parents know that schools are only a supplement, and should not be the only place where their iitters should be learning.

Quote:
With all due respect oatmeal, get over it. And I'm sorry I sounded harsh, but I don't appreciate half of your comments just by the kind of tone you use. You can say it better than that and still get your point across.
I can usually read a person by how they react when confronted with harsh truths or things they don't want to hear. With all due respect, the way you've reacted towards me tells me all I need to known about you. Again, since you don't seem to like what I say or the way I say it, feel free to put me on ignore and continue to live in La-La Land. Don't worry, I'm used to it. This isn't my first time at the rodeo, either online or IRL.

Now let's quit focusing on the awesomeness of me and focus on the situation at hand regarding the changes in the books. The queen has spoken, you are dismissed

Old 05-26-2010, 12:54 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,869,570 times
how do you put someone on "ignore" status???

Old 05-26-2010, 02:00 PM

9,418 posts, read 13,497,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
I've wanted to know for a while. I never could figure it out.

Old 05-26-2010, 02:29 PM

1,063 posts, read 3,758,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNGL View Post
I've wanted to know for a while. I never could figure it out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post

Same here! Anyone know how to how to do this?

Old 05-26-2010, 02:36 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,404,950 times
Just found it. Go to User Control Panel, and on the left, scroll down to Edit Ignore list. You can add someone to your ignore list (or remove them from it, presumably), there.

The problem with Ignore features on just about every forum I've been on is that there is always someone whose postings you usually like to follow who will quote the ignored person in their response to them, thus defeating the purpose of "Ignore".

Old 05-27-2010, 11:57 AM

yes--there are times that I might pull one line or two out of someone's post that I want to reply specifically to--but having paragraphs and paragraphs is pretty annoying...
thanks for the info about the ignore status--will put it into play now...

would be nice/helpful if you could click on Poster that you want to ignore and get the automic status update--like you can put people on your "contact list"--why not be able to put that poster on automatic ignore list as well???

Old 05-27-2010, 12:04 PM

and why are some of these posts allowed to stray so far off original post/topic...

I had two posts on another thread/forum deleted by moderator last week because they were deemed "off-topic"
IF they were--then most of these posts qualify for that description as well...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas