Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Rate San Antonio's Skyline
Amazing 4 2.37%
Good 37 21.89%
Average 66 39.05%
Bad 42 24.85%
Horrible 20 11.83%
Voters: 169. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2013, 04:25 AM

4,062 posts, read 5,643,384 times

Advertisements

I think it's good! It's pure San Antonio...not some boring clone of NYC, Chicago, Houston, or Dallas! Right now, they're drawing a line in the sand on a proposed building near the Alamo...good for them!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2013, 07:06 AM

18,495 posts, read 32,933,707 times
Surprised that this is the Texas skyline thread with the most legs. The others barely went anywhere, so SA barely having a skyline amd getting the longest thread is surprising.

Old 05-04-2013, 07:54 AM
JJG JJG started this thread

13,612 posts, read 22,894,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
Surprised that this is the Texas skyline thread with the most legs. The others barely went anywhere, so SA barely having a skyline amd getting the longest thread is surprising.
Well these were just monthly series threads.

Like I said, I'm surprised to even see it again.

Oh and by the way, Lee.... you named some of the most architecturally diverse cities in the country. I'd never put "boring" and "skyline" in the same sentence when describing NYC, Chi-town, Houston or Dallas.

Old 05-04-2013, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
Well these were just monthly series threads.

Like I said, I'm surprised to even see it again.

Oh and by the way, Lee.... you named some of the most architecturally diverse cities in the country. I'd never put "boring" and "skyline" in the same sentence when describing NYC, Chi-town, Houston or Dallas.
I agree, SA does not have as much diversity of periods as the cities he mentioned. SA building diversity is rather boring. There are a few nice ones, and the street level look is great, but most buildings are just blah

Old 05-04-2013, 07:57 PM

Quote:
I agree, SA does not have as much diversity of periods as the cities he mentioned. SA building diversity is rather boring. There are a few nice ones, and the street level look is great, but most buildings are just blah
The skyscrapers?

... maybe.

But San Antonio is mostly known for it's older architecture. That's fine. But yeah, it doesn't really have the same architectural diversity as the other larger cities (NOT named El Paso) in Texas.

Old 05-04-2013, 10:30 PM

3,834 posts, read 5,759,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by todd00 View Post
Tearing down old buildings would ruin much of the uniqueness of the downtown. Maybe not a sin, but it would be wrong. I think it would be nice if they could do it, as long as it blended in well.

Skylines like Dallas and others kind of remind me of the girl with the silicone boobs, all about size and being flashy. San Antonio is like the natural girl, beautiful without all the window dressing.
Well, then bring on the silicone, because I'd hate to be stuck with SAs skyline.

BTW San Antonio - it's not an either/or type of thing. You can have a historic core with the wonderful Riverwalk AND layer a modern metro with impressive skyscrapers. The best cities in te world do exactly this, where you have a juxtaposion of old and new. It infuses a core with vitality and interest.

If SA continues to rely n the Riverwalk and tourist dollars it will remain the largest city in Texas that doesn't really matter.

Old 05-08-2013, 12:57 PM

I think the Riverwalk will get overplayed.

Ambiance is very different in the day compared to the evening.
I think there are quite a few cities (esp on the douth atlantic) that could give the Riverwalk some serious competion if they developed theirs

I especially agree with you on the tourist thing. You cant rely on tourism that much to keep your core going. San Antonio is big enough and has enough major companies headquartered there to have more signature towers. You dont have to build in the historic area, but a skyline district would be nice.

As it is Greenspoint has more office space than downtown SA, and Greenspoint is just a suburban office park 14 miles from downtown. Greenspoint is not even in the top five office areas in the city as downtown, Uptown, TMC, Energy Corridor and Greenway are all larger. And yet it has more office space than DT SA

Last edited by HtownLove; 05-08-2013 at 01:06 PM..

Old 05-08-2013, 01:55 PM

5,673 posts, read 7,449,291 times
Quote:
I think the Riverwalk will get overplayed.

Ambiance is very different in the day compared to the evening.
I think there are quite a few cities (esp on the douth atlantic) that could give the Riverwalk some serious competion if they developed theirs

I especially agree with you on the tourist thing. You cant rely on tourism that much to keep your core going. San Antonio is big enough and has enough major companies headquartered there to have more signature towers. You dont have to build in the historic area, but a skyline district would be nice.

As it is Greenspoint has more office space than downtown SA, and Greenspoint is just a suburban office park 14 miles from downtown. Greenspoint is not even in the top five office areas in the city as downtown, Uptown, TMC, Energy Corridor and Greenway are all larger. And yet it has more office space than DT SA
Pitiful....

Old 05-08-2013, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komeht View Post
You can have a historic core with the wonderful Riverwalk AND layer a modern metro with impressive skyscrapers.
Prime example: Montréal

Old 05-10-2013, 02:42 PM

2,438 posts, read 7,010,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoe01 View Post
I used to think it was "good," but I think it needs to take the next step up. More residential buildings are needed, and I believe the newest commercial building there dates from 1985. Hotels are ok, but I'd like a diversity of structures. I picked "average," though the historic preservation may be above average.

I think you are wrong... the newest building does not date from 1985. The Grand Hyatt was built in 2008, there are a couple more near the river center that were rebuilt in the late 80's early 90's. Floors were added and such. But there has been some updates since 1985 and will soon have another one if we can get the votes to get the Joske building updated.

Although I have to agree our skyline does pale in comparison to some smaller cities then our own. We could use more skyline.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas