Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2010, 09:46 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,266,317 times

Advertisements

I'd love to see Rick Perry retired. Can't stand the guy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2010, 09:53 AM

9,418 posts, read 13,489,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
Comparing Perry to Reagan? I just threw up in my mouth a LOT. Perry's a self-interested, smug jackass who would sell his own mother to the right lobbyist.
Perfect description!

Old 05-23-2010, 10:26 AM

3,309 posts, read 5,770,375 times
OMG! When some goofballs writing for Newsweek ask the question... Could Perry be the second coming of Ronald Reagan, I know at last I have seen and heard it all! IMO they should be tarred and feathered for putting the two names in one sentence!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RenaudFR View Post
I think Newspapers and Internet are enough !
I didn't understand one thing : TranTexas Corridor has been cancelled no ? Why ? That seemed very promising !
LOL You are really intent on stirring the pot this morning, aren't you?

Rick Perry, Texas, and the Appeal of the Past - Newsweek.com

I read this article and actually laughed. These guys are way out in la-la land or else got paid plenty of money to get this garbage printed. Marlboro man indeed! Well I guess all it takes is looking the part and you got the role!

Your average Texan is the reason Texas is great. This doesn't come from some show-off wearing some expensive cowboy duds. For the majority of us our traditions come down from our parents, their parents and they are based on years of hard work, hard times and the can do spirit and the good times and the p*ss on you we're gonna do it our way attitude and that is what Texas is about. Not some blowhard in a pair of cowboy boots strutting around getting rich off the backs of others. Don't get me wrong, we certainly have plenty of those among us (as plain to see ) but the honest, hard working true Texan with his own version of don't mess with me is what has kept Texas what it is today, not some slimy politician who is only out for himself.

Last but not least is this icing on the cake. In an interview last week with Evan Smith, editor of The Texas Tribune and a NEWSWEEK contributor, Governor Perry insisted that he was focused on Texas and would not run for president under any circumstances. "I don't care about going to Washington, D.C.," he said. LOL All I can think of is another infamous quote..."Read my lips"

Old 05-23-2010, 11:04 AM

9,191 posts, read 21,868,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonestar2007 View Post
omg! When some goofballs writing for newsweek ask the question... Could perry be the second coming of ronald reagan, i know at last i have seen and heard it all! Imo they should be tarred and feathered for putting the two names in one sentence!

........ :d
Amen!!

Old 05-23-2010, 01:17 PM

8,746 posts, read 9,029,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonestar2007 View Post
OMG! When some goofballs writing for Newsweek ask the question... Could Perry be the second coming of Ronald Reagan, I know at last I have seen and heard it all! IMO they should be tarred and feathered for putting the two names in one sentence!....Last but not least is this icing on the cake. In an interview last week with Evan Smith, editor of The Texas Tribune and a NEWSWEEK contributor, Governor Perry insisted that he was focused on Texas and would not run for president under any circumstances. "I don't care about going to Washington, D.C.," he said. LOL All I can think of is another infamous quote..."Read my lips"
Absolutely! I'm a huge admirer of Ronald Reagan and Rick Perry cannot be compared to him, no way! Perry is nothing more than a self-serving slick politician. Since I'm a conservative, I actually agree with Perry on many issues but I can't stand him knowing what he is. And as far as him not running for president...who was it that said that very same thing repeatedly when he was a second term popular governor here in Texas....hmmmm? Two years after that George W. Bush was the republican nominee running agianst Gore. I'd put serious cash down right now that Perry will run in 2012....LOL.

Old 05-23-2010, 02:01 PM

1,148 posts, read 2,779,419 times
Is Newsweek accepting payments for this kind of article? Wow, I've never seen such a puff piece.

Old 05-23-2010, 03:35 PM

8,746 posts, read 9,029,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orbius View Post
Is Newsweek accepting payments for this kind of article? Wow, I've never seen such a puff piece.
With Slick Rick, it's possible!....LOL.

Old 05-23-2010, 09:52 PM

1,621 posts, read 4,592,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0815 View Post
I am a liberal, but I will not vote for Bill White. I happen to be a patriotic liberal, and I totally oppose any kind of amnesty or Bill's attitude "Warm welcoming of all illegals" I'd rather take Perry. He will say he opposes amnesty and illegal immigration just right before the elections, but once it's all over and he got elected, he will turn his back on it and do nothing. Too bad we will not have a real alternative in the next election. It's really sad to waste a vote. And I think either candidate is a waste of a vote. The story there dosen't surprise me. He plays the "tough Texan guy" once again and everybody falls for it
How is that any different from Rick Perry's approach? Illegal immigrants and the labor they provide are the main reason he can brag that Texas' recession isn't as bad as everyone else.

I'm a patriotic liberal as well, one who remembers when Americans weren't xenophobes. I wish this were still the case in America today.

And by "everybody," I believe you mean everyone outside of Texans. I have never met a Texan who would consider Rick Perry to be a tough guy. Not with that hair.

Old 05-23-2010, 09:56 PM

1,621 posts, read 4,592,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diablo234 View Post
Reagan was universally respected by both liberals and conservatives. Rick Perry is just a egomanical dumba** who was lucky enough to become Govenor. The high high school dropout rate, mandatory Gardasil vaccinations, and the Trans Texas Corridor land grab being an example of his ineffectiveness causing even most conservatives to dislike him.

By the way RenauldFR just as a courtesy if you have not lived here at least a year minimum or don't already have connections in Texas (in person not online) you can't really talk about politics since I highly doubt you have a real idea of state politics from just looking at citydata from France.
What liberals do you know? I have never once met a liberal who had any respect for Reagan's completely undoing successful New Deal and Great Society programs in the interest of "small government." Reagan is a swear word among most liberals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RenaudFR View Post
Here ? No but almost
Anyway he's the favorite in poll for November, ahead Bill White ! I think he'll be reelected but Bill White wouldn't be a problem for me, he was a very good Houston's mayor
The polling on the governor's race has been widely commented to be not so accurate. While it's correct to say that Perry's in the lead, Rasmussen's polling in particular has been cited as being horribly inaccurate in recent weeks, in the fact that he's cited a 15-point poll jump for Perry without citing any sample size or other details, and also the fact that Rasmussen completely ignored recent primary elections.

Old 05-23-2010, 11:08 PM

1,678 posts, read 3,737,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theloneranger View Post
What liberals do you know? I have never once met a liberal who had any respect for Reagan's completely undoing successful New Deal and Great Society programs in the interest of "small government." Reagan is a swear word among most liberals.
I meant universally respected in a sense that in the 1980 and 1984 Presidential elections every state pretty much voted for him (except for maybe Minnesota).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
View detailed profiles of: