Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-26-2010, 04:52 PM

1 posts, read 2,829 times

Advertisements

My renter only paid half her rent renting to OUR PRIVATE RENTAL. She said she was going to move out one weekend after another. She had not shown up to the rental in over 2 weeks after repeated calls and her sneaking in and out so we could not see her, I left note after note on the front door (remember we own this house she is renting) I would find the notes in the yard in torn in half. I went into the unlocked door and found a HUGE stinkin mess. AND her DOG ATE THE BATHROOM!!!! I hit the ceiling called the neighbor to witness it. Then last night after 10 pm with a bunch of people and cars to move out. In the dark..by the way, she lost her electric due to non payment, I confronted her about the hundreds of $$ damage. SHE SAID IT WAS THERE WHEN SHE MOVED IN... Prev renters had no DOG! She said she was a non smoker, had her son move in and the yard is covered in butts. Also, the dog dug holes in the yard and ripped out the screens. The yard in in BAD shape due to her dog that SHE GOT AFTER SHE MOVED IN. I told her she couldn't have it but begged me to keep it. She locked the dog in the bathroom and the dog destoyed it. !!! WHAT NOW!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2010, 05:50 PM

52 posts, read 194,117 times
If you are a landlord, I have a question...In Texas, can a landlord come in a tenants house without giving notice. Our landlords are bad about coming in when we leave to go out of town or camping or something. Came in one time, sprayed the house, and didn't tell us about it until 2 days after we were back. We had already eat and drank out of dishes that we didn't wash because we didn't know anything about it. We have 5 kids from age 5 to 12. Luckily, no one got sick. I know some states have laws that protect from that, just can't find out about here. Thanks...........Kevin

Old 05-26-2010, 06:05 PM

16,087 posts, read 40,998,312 times
You have to go to JP Court and try to get a judgment..good luck collecting...

Old 05-26-2010, 08:54 PM

1,148 posts, read 2,766,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by racing75 View Post
If you are a landlord, I have a question...In Texas, can a landlord come in a tenants house without giving notice. Our landlords are bad about coming in when we leave to go out of town or camping or something. Came in one time, sprayed the house, and didn't tell us about it until 2 days after we were back. We had already eat and drank out of dishes that we didn't wash because we didn't know anything about it. We have 5 kids from age 5 to 12. Luckily, no one got sick. I know some states have laws that protect from that, just can't find out about here. Thanks...........Kevin
"No Texas statute addresses landlord’s entry, but Texas courts have held that a landlord may not enter the rental property unless entry is authorized by the lessee. Once a residential property is leased, the landlord’s ability to enter the rental unit is diminished. Since no Texas laws state when a landlord can enter a rental property, the rules default to the lease agreement. Some lease agreements give a list of reasons when the landlord can enter and other leases do not mention landlord’s entry at all.

The TAA lease, which is widely used in Texas, states the landlord can enter for reasons ranging from removing unauthorized pets to showing the unit to prospective buyers to stopping excessive noise.

If the lease agreement — either written or verbal — does not include reasons for when the landlord is able to enter the unit, then there are only very specific times when a landlord may enter. These times include:

* To make repairs requested by the tenant;
* If there is an emergency inside the unit; or
* If the landlord is going to post a notice either under the landlord’s lien law or when demanding possession in an eviction. (See ATC’s brochures, Landlord’s Lien and The Eviction Process for more information regarding these laws.)"

First I'd call him and have a friendly chat and explain what happened with the dishes and ask him to give you plenty of notice before he wants to come in again. If he continues entering and not notifying you, you are within your rights to write to the landlord(important from a legal standpoint you write) and request he gives you 24 hour notice before entering your home. You can also legally request he only enter your home when you're there if you desire.
If he keeps entering your unit when he wants without notice you have grounds to take him to court.

Last edited by orbius; 05-26-2010 at 09:03 PM..

Old 05-27-2010, 12:54 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,474,655 times
wonder how well OP screened the renter prior to leasing...

Old 05-27-2010, 04:33 PM

3,702 posts, read 18,146,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marefox View Post
My renter only paid half her rent renting to OUR PRIVATE RENTAL. She said she was going to move out one weekend after another. She had not shown up to the rental in over 2 weeks after repeated calls and her sneaking in and out so we could not see her, I left note after note on the front door (remember we own this house she is renting) I would find the notes in the yard in torn in half. I went into the unlocked door and found a HUGE stinkin mess. AND her DOG ATE THE BATHROOM!!!! I hit the ceiling called the neighbor to witness it. Then last night after 10 pm with a bunch of people and cars to move out. In the dark..by the way, she lost her electric due to non payment, I confronted her about the hundreds of $$ damage. SHE SAID IT WAS THERE WHEN SHE MOVED IN... Prev renters had no DOG! She said she was a non smoker, had her son move in and the yard is covered in butts. Also, the dog dug holes in the yard and ripped out the screens. The yard in in BAD shape due to her dog that SHE GOT AFTER SHE MOVED IN. I told her she couldn't have it but begged me to keep it. She locked the dog in the bathroom and the dog destoyed it. !!! WHAT NOW!
You need to document all damages with photos and get professional estimates to repair the damage then head to court. You also need to attend LL school. You should have started an eviction the minute the tenant got a dog if your lease prohibits them, you should also have started eviction proceedings the day after they failed to pay rent on time. Can't get blood out of a stone...good luck.

Old 05-27-2010, 10:05 PM

Orbius, we didn't sign anything when we moved in. We just paid first and last months rent. My profile says San Benito, Tx but we're in Mt Pleasant, Tx. We moved from San Benito To here. Before we left down there, I had taken care of everything, so when we got here (11hr drive) we could come right in. All we had to do was give them the rent. Electric and everything was already changed to me. They've came in more than once when we're not here, not just the time to spray. We've lived here about 2 and a half years now.

Old 05-28-2010, 12:05 AM

1,148 posts, read 2,766,087 times
Since theres no written lease he basically isnt allowed in unless theres an emergency. So you're well within your rights to tell him he is not allowed in unless you're home and also request he gives a set period of notice. Have you asked him not come in without telling you? If you've already ask I'd write a formal letter to him telling him he isnt allowed in without notice and your being present, this will indicate to him you understand the law. Send it certified mail and keep a copy of the letter should things end up in court. If he continues entering despite your request you can leave the property and sue him for what he owes you in small claims court. You can recover triple damages so he will back down before it gets to that point.

Old 05-28-2010, 07:15 PM

Thanks orbius. Been trying to find all this out for a while, just didn't know where to look.

Old 05-29-2010, 08:43 AM

4 posts, read 8,633 times
Default Any Accountability by Property Manager?

I read this post, and if I didn't experience the same thing, I would have thought you were being overly dramatic...specifically concerning a dog devouring your bathroom. I own a home in the Orlando area. My intentions were to live there. Spent 2 years and thousands of $$ rehabbing the place since it had been rented before. After 2 years, my job situation changed, moved out of state, the housing market took a nose dive. After putting it on the market with no bites, put it back on the rental market in beautiful condition with a property manager. The tenants living there til this spring left a mess. Took a trustworthy contractor a month and just short of $10,000.00 getting it back in rental or sale mode. I've read the FL chapter 83 statutes re: landlord/tenants rights. However, I cannot find what sort of accountability the property manager has since they are the one's who placed the tenants and have been "managing" it. I understand "normal wear and tear", however, the damage (yes, their dog devoured the bathroom door & other things) and the filth left behind was unreal. The property manager sent someone from her office to do a "move-out inspection" and took photos. She claimed she did not know how to send them to me via email. When she faxed the report, we were told not to get excited because "it's really not that bad. He's a new guy and wrote every little detail down." She was stunned when I flew down the next day to see for myself. Oh, I didn't mention that the tenant cut out two months early, and the prop. mgr is still holding the security deposit and pet deposits. Any thought, other than I'm a tolerant idiot? I haven't talked with a lawyer to date, since I view it as one more huge expense should I not have a case or there's no $ to go after.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas