Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where would be a more suitable location for us?
Houston + Surrounding areas 13 36.11%
Dallas 14 38.89%
San Antonio 9 25.00%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2010, 05:01 AM

7 posts, read 28,624 times

Advertisements

Hey Guys,

We have made our decision, and...... Texas! It seems more fitting to our needs than Colorado!

My Pregnant Wife and I currently live in Southern Utah and love the outdoors, I work as a RN and she has no degree, and we would love some suggestions for buying our new home.

We are moving to fulfill more needs financially, to experience a new area, and have a great place to raise our child.

The places I have found to fit best are San Antonio, and Houston Area (league city, etc.) But also was considering Dallas/Fort worth area.

Looking for:

Good priced housing

High Median Family income

Beautiful Area

willing to commute 10-30 mins

Nowhere "Downtown" would prefer outskirts, or smaller area without the "City Life"

Thanks again!

Last edited by Bo; 06-03-2010 at 07:52 AM.. Reason: Merging 3 posts from 3 threads in 3 forums. I'll explain by Direct Message
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2010, 07:44 AM

2,480 posts, read 7,136,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadebentley0209 View Post
Hey Guys,

We have made our decision, and...... Texas! It seems more fitting to our needs than Colorado!

My Pregnant Wife and I currently live in Southern Utah and love the outdoors, I work as a RN and she has no degree, and we would love some suggestions for buying our new home.

We are moving to fulfill more needs financially, to experience a new area, and have a great place to raise our child.

The places I have found to fit best are San Antonio, and Houston Area (league city, etc.) But also was considering Dallas/Fort worth area.

Looking for:

Good priced housing

Beautiful Area

Nowhere "Downtown" would prefer outskirts, or smaller area without the "City Life"

Thanks again!
It's a toss up between San Antonion and Houston IMO. I picked Houston for you mainly because you said you were a nurse. Houston has the largest medical center in the country, and it has many good outlying hospitals to work for as well, that serve the surrounding communities.

The house pricing is really good here. Although Texas in general is better than the rest of the nation.

The median family income depends on the area you choose to live. It fluctuates all over. There are not so nice areas, and awesome areas.

Beautiful area - this might not fit the bill for you coming from Utah. Not sure what your definition of beautiful is. I grew up in Ft Worth, lived in the San Antonion area for many years, and now live in Houston. Of all 3 I prefer the hill country surrounding San Antonio. But right now I life in the NE of Houston (Atascocita/Kingwood area) and LOVE the trees up here. It's the southern start of the Piney Forest, and it's just lovely.

Commute is another issue. Being a nurse it's strictly dependent on where you work. If you work in the medical center and want a shorter commute, then places like Pearland, Missouri City are better for that. My commute to the medical center is 45 minutes on a good day.

One thing about Houston's suburbs is that they are self contained. YOu do not have to go downtown at all, if ever, unless you want to. They contain grocery stores, shopping (malls, etc), lots of restaurants, parks, hospitals, etc. The only time I ever go downtown is as I am passing through it to get to the medical center!

Old 06-03-2010, 12:41 PM

5,673 posts, read 7,448,551 times
This is always a "HOMER" topic

Old 06-03-2010, 04:44 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,034,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadebentley0209 View Post
Hey Guys,

Looking for:

Good priced housing

Beautiful Area

Thanks again!

Houston is perfect for you, it's perfect for those who are Registered Nurses. Medicine is an expanding industry in Houston. Texas Medical Center says it all, and there are plenty of hospitals outside of that as well.

You have a variety of suburbs to choose from, and almost all the major suburbs have a hospital district of their own.

Please tell me more about whether diversity is an issue for you? Or if you want a nicer quieter and still smaller suburb compared to a hustle and bustle fast paced one.

Cypress is a good option, it's affordable, and it's on the quiet side.

Old 06-03-2010, 04:56 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,948,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmShahi View Post
Houston is perfect for you, it's perfect for those who are Registered Nurses. Medicine is an expanding industry in Houston. Texas Medical Center says it all, and there are plenty of hospitals outside of that as well.

You have a variety of suburbs to choose from, and almost all the major suburbs have a hospital district of their own.

Please tell me more about whether diversity is an issue for you? Or if you want a nicer quieter and still smaller suburb compared to a hustle and bustle fast paced one.

Cypress is a good option, it's affordable, and it's on the quiet side.
A Cypress commute to the medical center would be tough though. I think Pearland would be a good place to look at. Price range would be good though (to the OP).

Old 06-03-2010, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface713 View Post
A Cypress commute to the medical center would be tough though. I think Pearland would be a good place to look at. Price range would be good though (to the OP).
Cypress has some hospitals too. The OP wouldn't necessarily have to work at TMC.

Katy has hospitals, and so does Sugar Land.

Practically any of the large suburbs have their own mini "medical districts". Sugar Land has about 4 hospitals in one area and 5 more in city limits.

I know Katy has a few like that too, but more over dispersed.

Cypress has got it's own small hospital district as well.

It would make living easier if the OP could land a job in the suburb itself, there would be absolutely zero commute hassles. But yeahhh it's up to the OP if they want TMC or suburban hospitals.

Old 06-03-2010, 05:04 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,948,475 times
Quote:
Cypress has some hospitals too. The OP wouldn't necessarily have to work at TMC.

Katy has hospitals, and so does Sugar Land.

Practically any of the large suburbs have their own mini "medical districts". Sugar Land has about 4 hospitals in one area and 5 more in city limits.

I know Katy has a few like that too, but more over dispersed.

Cypress has got it's own small hospital district as well.

It would make living easier if the OP could land a job in the suburb itself, there would be absolutely zero commute hassles. But yeahhh it's up to the OP if they want TMC or suburban hospitals.
Yeah, that's true.

Old 06-03-2010, 05:16 PM

I mean no disrespect to anyone from Dallas, because it's a fine city in it's own right, but if you seriously voted for Dallas before San Antonio and especially Houston, then you're seriously taking the homerism to a new level. Dallas has a medical center and good medical scene, but it's not at the level of the other two cities.

I mean that with no disrespect, I like Dallas but let's be fair to the OP here. If they were looking for a Telecommunication job, I'd vote for Dallas. But come on guys, let's be fair.

Old 06-03-2010, 06:32 PM

3,390 posts, read 4,949,179 times
For those that live in Houston, it is PERFECT for you!
For those that live in San Antonio, it is PERFECT for you!
For those that live in Dallas/FW, it is PERFECT for you!

The least HOMER of these is the Dallas/Fort Worth area. We here in the "metroplex" just aren't as "homerish" as the other two because the DFW area is the most diverse metropolitan area in Texas. Fort Worth and Dallas aren't exactly "friends."

Old 06-03-2010, 06:34 PM

3,390 posts, read 4,949,179 times
Quote:
I mean no disrespect to anyone from Dallas, because it's a fine city in it's own right, but if you seriously voted for Dallas before San Antonio and especially Houston, then you're seriously taking the homerism to a new level. Dallas has a medical center and good medical scene, but it's not at the level of the other two cities.

I mean that with no disrespect, I like Dallas but let's be fair to the OP here. If they were looking for a Telecommunication job, I'd vote for Dallas. But come on guys, let's be fair.

Goodness, the vast majority of your posts are for Houston or Austin so please quit trying to play the objective Texas native. The OP didn't say that the area that they preferred HAD to be the most medically outstanding place in Texas, they merely stated that they were medical professionals. DFW has TONS of top rate medical facilities and has probably the best job market in Texas. The medical facilities here are some of the best in the country, and the employment situation in North Texas is leading the state.

I mean no disrespect to anyone from Houston, because it's a fine city in it's own right, but if you seriously voted for Houston before Dallas, then you're seriously taking the homerism to a new level.

Do YOU see the "homerism" in YOUR post?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas