Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Toledo
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-01-2010, 08:26 PM
 
Location: Kittanning
4,692 posts, read 9,034,334 times
Reputation: 3668

Advertisements

I live in Pittsburgh, but frequently visit family in Michigan. I often explore Toledo on my way home, and I have found it to be a very underrated city. The downtown has some beautiful historic buildings. I even drove around the outskirts of downtown, looking for the allegedly "gritty" areas. Lots of old factories, and a few abandoned buildings, but these actually give the city an attractive urban vibe. These would be prime buildings for industrial style lofts.

Toledo is looking good, in my opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-06-2010, 10:21 AM
 
Location: Toledo, Ohio
227 posts, read 626,220 times
Reputation: 60
Downtown has been undergoing quite a metamorphosis, just in the last few years. The most prominent blighted warehouses (Berdan building and the triangle one on the other side of Erie.) have been bought by developers and will have residential in them in the next few years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-08-2010, 11:53 AM
 
43 posts, read 113,189 times
Reputation: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by alleghenyangel View Post
I live in Pittsburgh, but frequently visit family in Michigan. I often explore Toledo on my way home, and I have found it to be a very underrated city. The downtown has some beautiful historic buildings. I even drove around the outskirts of downtown, looking for the allegedly "gritty" areas. Lots of old factories, and a few abandoned buildings, but these actually give the city an attractive urban vibe. These would be prime buildings for industrial style lofts.

Toledo is looking good, in my opinion.
Ahhh....you're talking about Toledo, OH right? Not Toledo, Spain? Toledo still has a long way to go. Development is at a standstill - similar to many cities in the country. And those few abandoned buildings have been sitting there for years and years. The real problem is Toledo has not grown out of it's rust belt roots and with the current city leaders, it probably won't for a long time. Unlike Pittsburgh, which shook off it's steel factory image and became a very nice city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-08-2010, 03:04 PM
 
6,601 posts, read 8,979,609 times
Reputation: 4699
Quote:
Originally Posted by alleghenyangel View Post
I live in Pittsburgh, but frequently visit family in Michigan. I often explore Toledo on my way home, and I have found it to be a very underrated city. The downtown has some beautiful historic buildings. I even drove around the outskirts of downtown, looking for the allegedly "gritty" areas. Lots of old factories, and a few abandoned buildings, but these actually give the city an attractive urban vibe. These would be prime buildings for industrial style lofts.

Toledo is looking good, in my opinion.
I grew up in Toledo and live in Pittsburgh now. While I agree that Toledo is underrated in many ways, there are definitely more areas in Toledo that make me feel unsafe and uncomfortable than in Pittsburgh. Part of this might just be because it's where I grew up, so reputations start early and die hard. I can't belive all the heat I take for admitting to walking along Penn Avenue in Pittsburgh at night; but I'd probably give a newbie to Toledo the same heat for walking around certain areas of Toledo.

My biggest complaint about Toledo, and what keeps me from moving back there (aside from jobs) is the lack of walkable neighborhoods and the crappy public transportation. I don't want to have to go to Levis Commons or Fallen Timbers to walk around in a fake "downtown." Not to mention both of those are in the suburbs! I think it, sadly, might even be true that Toledo proper only has one modern movie theater (the one at Franklin Park / Westfield Shoppingtown).

The funny part is, so many neighborhoods in Toledo would be perfect for little business districts to pop up. Downtown Toledo has really taken off since 5/3 field was built; and I'm still holding out hope that Uptown Toledo, especially Adams, gets a few more establishments opening up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-10-2010, 10:10 AM
 
43 posts, read 113,189 times
Reputation: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrarisnowday View Post
I grew up in Toledo and live in Pittsburgh now. While I agree that Toledo is underrated in many ways, there are definitely more areas in Toledo that make me feel unsafe and uncomfortable than in Pittsburgh. Part of this might just be because it's where I grew up, so reputations start early and die hard. I can't belive all the heat I take for admitting to walking along Penn Avenue in Pittsburgh at night; but I'd probably give a newbie to Toledo the same heat for walking around certain areas of Toledo.

My biggest complaint about Toledo, and what keeps me from moving back there (aside from jobs) is the lack of walkable neighborhoods and the crappy public transportation. I don't want to have to go to Levis Commons or Fallen Timbers to walk around in a fake "downtown." Not to mention both of those are in the suburbs! I think it, sadly, might even be true that Toledo proper only has one modern movie theater (the one at Franklin Park / Westfield Shoppingtown).

The funny part is, so many neighborhoods in Toledo would be perfect for little business districts to pop up. Downtown Toledo has really taken off since 5/3 field was built; and I'm still holding out hope that Uptown Toledo, especially Adams, gets a few more establishments opening up.
You hit the nail on the head. Toledo has no planning in regards to downtown and the uptown area. While building 5/3 and Huntington Arena are great, it just will not generate enough development to create a walkable city center. Toledo has the look and feel of a giant suburb.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-10-2010, 12:22 PM
 
Location: Toledo, Ohio
227 posts, read 626,220 times
Reputation: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrm2811 View Post
You hit the nail on the head. Toledo has no planning in regards to downtown and the uptown area. While building 5/3 and Huntington Arena are great, it just will not generate enough development to create a walkable city center. Toledo has the look and feel of a giant suburb.
Downtown and Uptown are two completely different things. Uptown is still dingy and has a lot of PR issues because of the homeless population surrounding the missions, aside from the Adam Street area. Downtown on the other hand has been changing for the better at an exponential rate.

Ultimately, comparing Pittsburgh and Toledo is like apples and oranges. ...but I agree 100% that Toledo's reputation is far worse then reality.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-10-2010, 01:48 PM
 
6,601 posts, read 8,979,609 times
Reputation: 4699
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryansmith View Post
Downtown and Uptown are two completely different things. Uptown is still dingy and has a lot of PR issues because of the homeless population surrounding the missions, aside from the Adam Street area. Downtown on the other hand has been changing for the better at an exponential rate.

Ultimately, comparing Pittsburgh and Toledo is like apples and oranges. ...but I agree 100% that Toledo's reputation is far worse then reality.
Oh I can agree with you on that! But it's a comparison I'm forced to make in my situation. If I ever move back to Toledo, I will probably stay in the Commodore Perry (or a similar downtown building) -- it's the only place where there's a respectable amount of ameneties within a walkable distance.

I still can't get over the fact that there are just so few walkable destinations. Sure there are a lot of neighborhoods with sidewalks and maybe a corner store or school playground or something -- but there just aren't many places where you can walk out your door and hit several bars, restaurants, and shops; a grocery store, a park, and a library all within a mile or so on streeets that feel walkable (For example not having to cross the anthony wayne trail to get to the zoo).

I understand that it's apples and oranges, but other cities have 10 - 20 areas like this. Even adjusting for size, Toledo has a disproportinate lack of areas like these.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-10-2010, 07:10 PM
 
43 posts, read 113,189 times
Reputation: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrarisnowday View Post
Oh I can agree with you on that! But it's a comparison I'm forced to make in my situation. If I ever move back to Toledo, I will probably stay in the Commodore Perry (or a similar downtown building) -- it's the only place where there's a respectable amount of ameneties within a walkable distance.

I still can't get over the fact that there are just so few walkable destinations. Sure there are a lot of neighborhoods with sidewalks and maybe a corner store or school playground or something -- but there just aren't many places where you can walk out your door and hit several bars, restaurants, and shops; a grocery store, a park, and a library all within a mile or so on streeets that feel walkable (For example not having to cross the anthony wayne trail to get to the zoo).

I understand that it's apples and oranges, but other cities have 10 - 20 areas like this. Even adjusting for size, Toledo has a disproportinate lack of areas like these.
Exactly. There is not enough critical mass in downtown and uptown to create a walkable destination. Before you can build grocery stores, more restaurants and shops, and better transportation, you need critical mass. And the masses won't move down there until you put in place more trees, parks, public squares, benches, etc. The city needs to do these things to get more people living in the central city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-11-2010, 12:07 PM
 
Location: Oregon, OH
151 posts, read 413,812 times
Reputation: 127
Trees, public squares and benches aren't worth a damn as long as the schools, infrastructure and city services are second-rate. Toledo already had enough phony beautification stuff that didn't really improve the quality of life in the city when that idiot Finkbeiner was mayor.

This isn't San Francisco or New York. It's a spread-out, car-oriented area. It would be very nice if downtown Toledo revived, but the facts are that many more people around here want a house in Perrysburg or Sylvania instead of a loft downtown.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-12-2010, 11:20 AM
 
Location: Toledo OH
92 posts, read 327,259 times
Reputation: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrm2811 View Post
Exactly. There is not enough critical mass in downtown and uptown to create a walkable destination...
Plans are happening to redevelop the Berdan and Triangle buildings downtown. Once those are occupied, there could be another few hundred people living right in the warehouse district. Critical mass is building. Expect more walkable stuff to follow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Toledo

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top