Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Toledo
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2010, 08:45 PM

896 posts, read 1,861,734 times

Advertisements

Many of the neighborhoods you mentioned in your first statement may suit you well, especially with your price range. I wouldnt recommend the Southside. If were talking about distinct neighborhoods the Southside would probably be considered the area to the immediate south of Downtown. Its rather rough. I probably wouldnt say its the worst area of Toledo, but it doesnt rank very high. You're not interested in that. Most of the places you named are in the northern half of Toledo, which would put you a little further away from Bowling Green, but its not that big of a difference I guess.

I would recommend looking in the Heatherdowns-Glendale area of South Toledo. Youre pretty much on the far south end of the city, close to the suburb of Maumee, which I would also recommend. Ryan would be a better authority on home prices, but to me for a younger couple like yourselves, perhaps some of the neighborhoods off of Heatherdowns and Glendale would be good for you, like maybe around Heatherdowns and Byrne. Mostly, modest sized, ranch style homes, that while not particularly new, are probably relatively affordable. Im not aware of any profound crime problems in that area. The closer you gravitate toward Airport Hwy, in South Toledo, you might come into contact with more crime problems. The Beverly area is quite decent as well. Im not entirely sure how many homes come in at your price range, probably more than I suspect, but im sure you would like that area as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2010, 10:43 AM

2 posts, read 6,130 times
Do be careful in west Toledo...Although I love it dearly, it is not going to appreciate in value. I've watched values decline way too rapidly ====more then most areas. There is gang activity all the way to Eleanor, and break ins are increasing. Good homes--yes, but not for a young family starting out. Try Oregon--some nice homes at good prices. If you don't mind fixing up a home, do look in Perrysburg--it will put you in close proximity to BGSU--and don't negate Bowling Green..some great house values there as well Good Luck!

Old 11-19-2010, 08:02 PM

2,785 posts, read 6,651,923 times
Welcome to the forum, ToledoKathy!

Old 11-21-2010, 10:25 AM

227 posts, read 628,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobias C View Post
Many of the neighborhoods you mentioned in your first statement may suit you well, especially with your price range. I wouldnt recommend the Southside. If were talking about distinct neighborhoods the Southside would probably be considered the area to the immediate south of Downtown. Its rather rough. I probably wouldnt say its the worst area of Toledo, but it doesnt rank very high. You're not interested in that. Most of the places you named are in the northern half of Toledo, which would put you a little further away from Bowling Green, but its not that big of a difference I guess.

I would recommend looking in the Heatherdowns-Glendale area of South Toledo. Youre pretty much on the far south end of the city, close to the suburb of Maumee, which I would also recommend. Ryan would be a better authority on home prices, but to me for a younger couple like yourselves, perhaps some of the neighborhoods off of Heatherdowns and Glendale would be good for you, like maybe around Heatherdowns and Byrne. Mostly, modest sized, ranch style homes, that while not particularly new, are probably relatively affordable. Im not aware of any profound crime problems in that area. The closer you gravitate toward Airport Hwy, in South Toledo, you might come into contact with more crime problems. The Beverly area is quite decent as well. Im not entirely sure how many homes come in at your price range, probably more than I suspect, but im sure you would like that area as well.
I have seen young couples buying houses in Beverly... it is a very family-friendly place and has sidewalks, which many new developments, for whatever reason, don't have. The last thing I need is another excuse not to get exercise. Beverly has retained its value fairly well, but there are a sprinkling of good deals.

Old 11-21-2010, 02:11 PM

Is Beverly a neighborhood or new development?

Old 11-21-2010, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beavercreek33 View Post
Is Beverly a neighborhood or new development?

Beverly is a legitimate neighborhood. A fairly decent mix of what I would consider everything from Low/Middle-Middle Class to Lower-Upper Class along River Rd. I enjoy this area. Its on the far south end of Toledo, adjacent to Maumee pretty much. Its pretty much the areas off of the Anthony Wayne Trail, south of Glendale, all the way down to the Turnpike/Maumee.

Ive still yet to check out Plate 21. I think it would be pretty cool if Beverly kinda manifested its own little downtown.

Old 11-22-2010, 08:31 AM

227 posts, read 628,253 times
Plate 21 is excellent... Beverly is a neighborhood that has areas that were developed in the teens and 20s and some areas that are new.

Old 11-23-2010, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobias C View Post
Beverly is a legitimate neighborhood. A fairly decent mix of what I would consider everything from Low/Middle-Middle Class to Lower-Upper Class along River Rd. I enjoy this area. Its on the far south end of Toledo, adjacent to Maumee pretty much. Its pretty much the areas off of the Anthony Wayne Trail, south of Glendale, all the way down to the Turnpike/Maumee.

Ive still yet to check out Plate 21. I think it would be pretty cool if Beverly kinda manifested its own little downtown.
Thanks for the info.

Old 11-26-2010, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryansmith View Post
Plate 21 is excellent...

Just went there this morning. Agreed.

Old 03-06-2011, 09:01 AM

2 posts, read 4,094 times
Default Reply to safe ares of Toledo

I lived in Sylvania thirty years but moved off Central close to Westgate 5 years ago and LOVE it. It is close to everything and my neighborhood is wonderful. Everyone is friendly, walks their dogs and is helpful. Taxes are much less than in Sylvania. The school system is Washington Local. I feel very safe but no matter where you live you must apply common sense when you see anything out of the ordinary. We just live in times where you now have to lock doors and be cautious of strangers, however all the wonderful people I have met in Toledo were strangers at one time so you must give people a chance. I believe there are much more good than bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Toledo