Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Toledo
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-08-2011, 04:47 PM
 
Location: Charleston, SC
2,501 posts, read 7,785,309 times
Reputation: 833

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxThe Dog View Post
I lived in Sylvania thirty years but moved off Central close to Westgate 5 years ago and LOVE it. It is close to everything and my neighborhood is wonderful. Everyone is friendly, walks their dogs and is helpful. Taxes are much less than in Sylvania. The school system is Washington Local. I feel very safe but no matter where you live you must apply common sense when you see anything out of the ordinary. We just live in times where you now have to lock doors and be cautious of strangers, however all the wonderful people I have met in Toledo were strangers at one time so you must give people a chance. I believe there are much more good than bad.
I love this comment, Max, and I love your positive outlook! (I couldn't give you anymore rep. points or I would have)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-20-2011, 01:44 PM
 
2 posts, read 5,584 times
Reputation: 11
Well if you are looking to raise a child here, you should carefully consider the school district! The Whitmer/Trilby area is the only area you listed that has a decent school system(Washington Local). The other areas you listed are all Toledo Public, I am a mother of 3 and Toledo Public schools(most of Toledo) is THE school district I avoid at all cost! If I were in your position, I wouldn't buy anything here, because it will not be long before you wish you hadn't, don't EVER leave your residence or car unlocked for one minute!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-21-2011, 01:39 PM
 
911 posts, read 2,606,102 times
Reputation: 566
wouldnt put my kids in TPS. public school, but wants u to pay ur own money to put your kids in uniforms.......then asks for money on the ballot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-23-2011, 03:36 PM
 
6,601 posts, read 9,022,741 times
Reputation: 4699
It really comes down to the exact school district with TPS. There's a big difference between say Bowsher and Woodward. The differences are even more intricate at the elementary school level.

Point being, TPS is not necessarily a death sentence nor a sure path to a dead end career.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-23-2011, 07:18 PM
 
911 posts, read 2,606,102 times
Reputation: 566
if i had kids right now, they'd be in washington local. they seem to care more about the kids from sports to academics.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-31-2011, 03:01 AM
 
Location: Toledo, Ohio
12 posts, read 46,828 times
Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxThe Dog View Post
I lived in Sylvania thirty years but moved off Central close to Westgate 5 years ago and LOVE it. It is close to everything and my neighborhood is wonderful. Everyone is friendly, walks their dogs and is helpful. Taxes are much less than in Sylvania. The school system is Washington Local. I feel very safe but no matter where you live you must apply common sense when you see anything out of the ordinary. We just live in times where you now have to lock doors and be cautious of strangers, however all the wonderful people I have met in Toledo were strangers at one time so you must give people a chance. I believe there are much more good than bad.

Your in one of the very few good areas in Toledo... Toledo public school are horrible... I wouldn't move here, as a matter of fact i can't wait to leave...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-31-2011, 03:02 AM
 
Location: Toledo, Ohio
12 posts, read 46,828 times
Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToledoResident View Post
Well if you are looking to raise a child here, you should carefully consider the school district! The Whitmer/Trilby area is the only area you listed that has a decent school system(Washington Local). The other areas you listed are all Toledo Public, I am a mother of 3 and Toledo Public schools(most of Toledo) is THE school district I avoid at all cost! If I were in your position, I wouldn't buy anything here, because it will not be long before you wish you hadn't, don't EVER leave your residence or car unlocked for one minute!

I agree
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-31-2011, 03:09 AM
 
Location: Toledo, Ohio
12 posts, read 46,828 times
Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by lwinter829 View Post
What do we want in a neighborhood.... hmm... we would like a family type neighborhood, we don't need to be able to walk to restaurants and shops, we can drive there that is not a problem. We want to stay in the range of $75,000.00 and below because I am in school full time and we are living off of one income. The reason we would rather buy a house then rent an apartment is because the real estate market is a buyer's market so why not? and apartment living has too many rules (you can't have this kind of dog because he is portrayed as mean and violent). We love to be outside, so a neighborhood with streets that are nice to walk through. I guess we act a lot older than we are, we don't go to bars, and drink, we don't party or do things of that nature. We are getting married next year so our first house will be a big thing for us, and since he will be getting transferred this is the perfect opportunity.

I have searched for houses in our price range in Perrysburg, Oregon, Maumee... etc, and it seems that we can get a much better looking, bigger house in Toledo. I had worked in Detroit as an EMT so I know how bad crime and violence are there. Toledo is no where near as bad as Detroit, that's why it seemed like such a shocker when the first person who responded suggested searching in the suburbs instead of the city. Now I would never live in any part of Detroit because all of it is so run down and dangerous, but is Toledo the same way?

Thanks for all of your help!!!
Toledo is full of crime, drugs & gangs... There are a few areas that are decent but Most of toledo is run down and dangerous...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-31-2011, 06:29 AM
 
6,601 posts, read 9,022,741 times
Reputation: 4699
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalene View Post
Toledo is full of crime, drugs & gangs... There are a few areas that are decent but Most of toledo is run down and dangerous...
Well let's just roll out the welcome mat why don't we? Why is it that the Toledo forum always concentrates on the negatives, and acts as if a few "bad apple" neighborhoods spoil the entire city? There are several nice areas of the city, and a lot of areas that are workable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-31-2011, 08:44 AM
 
Location: Toledo, OH
896 posts, read 1,861,734 times
Reputation: 860
Because god knows Franklin Park, Trilby, Westgate, Lincolnshire, Old Orchard, Deveaux, Point Place, Crossgates, Heatherdowns/Glendale, Harvard Terrace and Beverly are teeming with crime, drugs, and gangs. Nice try, fearmonger. There's lots of good areas in Toledo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Toledo

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top