Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Toledo
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2011, 11:15 PM

3 posts, read 14,747 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

I recently got accepted to the PA program at UT. The classes are held at their Medical Center (3000 Arlington Ave, Toledo, OH 43614). Classes start in August, so I will need to start looking for housing fairly soon.

I'm looking for an apartment that is in a safe area and is as close to campus as possible.

Any suggestions?

Thank you very much in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2011, 01:52 AM

896 posts, read 1,853,484 times
I'm sure you could find something decent enough fairly close but as far as apartment complexes go, I'm thinking you might want to extend your search a little bit away from the UT Medical campus. Most of the apartments nearby are off Airport Hwy around there. They aren't very desirable. Affordable, for sure, but I would not suggest anything in that area because there's too many bad people around. The next closest area with a decent concentration of apartments I can think of would be the Southwyck area around Reynolds and Heatherdowns. Even around here there's certain incidences now and then but if your not looking to spend much but be relatively close to campus still I'm thinking this area would be your best bet.

It all depends on what your desires are for where you will live. The medical campus isn't really accommodating. The area isn't particularly hospitable to student life. If you're willing to extend your search to areas a little further away, (still within 15-20 min drive) that would open you up to a lot better options.

Old 02-26-2011, 06:33 AM

4,861 posts, read 9,309,027 times
If I was from out of town and needed to find safe housing fairly close to the UTMC campus, I would look in Maumee. Not necessarily the new part out around Dussell and 475 (more expensive and farther away), but there are apartments along Key St., for example, which is a side street that intersects with the Anthony Wayne Trail (U.S. 24), which is a nice, four lane divided road which intersects with Glendale Ave. near UTMC. That area is still very safe overall, better than the Southwyck corridor or Airport between Reynolds and Byrne, which as Tobias pointed out, gets pretty rough. The Southwyck area along Reynolds Rd. used to be the place to be when I was in high school back in the '80s, but the mall was demolished several years ago and is now nothing but a vast, weed-pocked parking lot, and the area around it has suffered as a result. A local developer was supposed to have done something with the property a few years ago, but that went by the wayside when the economy tanked and now no one mentions it anymore.

Old 02-26-2011, 09:46 AM

I'd be willing to drive 15-20 minutes, like you said. I'd prefer areas to the north of the campus, so it's closer for when I drive home (though if there are no good areas to the north, that's fine too).

Old 02-27-2011, 01:28 AM

2,543 posts, read 2,865,719 times
My Ex-Girlfriend had to commute to the medical campus this past summer and fall. She lived in a small complex off Byrne behind the Rally's. She had several safety issues there but nothing too big- only had to drive a few minutes at the most to class every day. You can make your commute as long or short as you'd like but safety won't be as big an issue as some will make it out to be with surrounding apartments.

Old 02-27-2011, 05:38 AM

896 posts, read 1,853,484 times
Eh. I'm not much of a worrier when it comes to safety but I still don't recommend most of the places off Airport and Byrne. I mean I'm sure you could live there for 4 years and not experience one problem but I just feel like there's better options. I think I would also have moderate fear of my apartment complex burning down. I can just picture that happening here.

If being only 5 mins away is appealing though you could always at least go check out some places, and maybe observe the residents of whatever place and decide for yourself. Cincy is right though, it's not that dangerous. Definitely not the ghetto or anything.

Old 02-28-2011, 09:05 AM

92 posts, read 327,298 times
I will repost my suggestions from a previous thread...

...on S. Byrne near Heatherdowns is Crossgates Manor - it's about a mile SW of campus. It would offer a balance of safety and proximity. It looks to be a little older.

Going north on Byrne is Hunter's Ridge. All I know about this one is that it is also pretty close to campus and has some nice woods around it. I would rate it higher than the apartments nearby on Airport. From the pictures, it looks to be a little newer. Maybe someone else could offer some insight?

If you were looking for something newer, The Ridge at Tiburon off Airport Highway near Bernath Pkwy is about 7 years old. That complex is in a safe area and about 4-5 miles away.

Lastly, I will add the Alt Stone Bridge (http://www.houckproperties.com/altStoneBridge.nxg - broken link) apartments off of Heatherdowns, which is also a complex in the woods in a relatively safe area, about 3.5 miles from campus.

Old 02-28-2011, 10:42 AM

6,601 posts, read 8,981,085 times
What is your budget? I wouldn't recommend most of the apartments near UTMC because they are kind of run down and have a scummy atmosphere (the facilities themselves, not necessarily the people). I would not be overly concerned about safety at some of them though.

Depending on your budget and preferences, you might be able to find a duplex/house to rent that would be a closer commute than going out to the 'burbs. Just a random one I found on craigslist searching for UTMC: 845 Toronto 550/month (http://toledo.craigslist.org/apa/2199923594.html - broken link). It's not the most high class neighborhod or anything, but it's 2 miles from the campus, and if it were me, I'd consider it safe enough to be worth the trade off of having a bigger/more unique place and a shorter commute.

Most of the Bowsher high school district would be a short and easy commute to UTMC and a safe enough place to live. Of course it all comes down to your personal preferences, I just know I would rather live someplace with a little more character...most apartment complexes are mind-numbing to me.

Old 02-28-2011, 08:56 PM

Based on the responses, I probably won't really be looking at the immediate area around the campus. I think renting a house would be awesome, but I'm not sure I have the money to furnish it. Thank you for all the replies.

Old 03-01-2011, 07:57 AM

6,601 posts, read 8,981,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by begingri View Post
Based on the responses, I probably won't really be looking at the immediate area around the campus. I think renting a house would be awesome, but I'm not sure I have the money to furnish it. Thank you for all the replies.
That is something to consider, of course there's nothing wrong with an empty room or two. I was thinking about it again, and if you do decide to live closer to campus it may actually be safer to live in the neighborhoods rather than in an apartment complex. Blocks of homes mostly filled with families are a lot safer than some of the neighbors you'll find in some of those apartment complexes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Toledo
View detailed profiles of: