Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Toledo
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2011, 09:08 PM

896 posts, read 1,852,873 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by alleghenyangel View Post
Toledo is an overall safe city. You never hear anyone say Pittsburgh is a dangerous city, but Toledo has far fewer murders every year in spite of both cities having a population around 300,000.

I agree that Toledo is overall safe. For instance I think its ridiculous when i hear anyone say theyre legitimately afraid of any part of town. The general public is rarely ever victimized. Most all of the shootings and homicides are between people associated with each other. If anything, I think the real, alarming issue are the burglaries. A lot of thats probably the result of our economy and such. It seems like a dozen houses a week have their copper pipes stolen, and that happens so easily since there's so many foreclosures. Those are the problems I find the most troubling.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2011, 02:43 PM

911 posts, read 2,599,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobias C View Post
I agree that Toledo is overall safe. For instance I think its ridiculous when i hear anyone say theyre legitimately afraid of any part of town. The general public is rarely ever victimized. Most all of the shootings and homicides are between people associated with each other. If anything, I think the real, alarming issue are the burglaries. A lot of thats probably the result of our economy and such. It seems like a dozen houses a week have their copper pipes stolen, and that happens so easily since there's so many foreclosures. Those are the problems I find the most troubling.

toledo has had 60 plus murders since august.

Old 11-15-2011, 03:22 PM

896 posts, read 1,852,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by acealive1 View Post
toledo has had 60 plus murders since august.

What are you talking about?? Toledos had 23 or 24 homicides this year, let alone since August.

Old 11-19-2011, 01:00 PM

3,070 posts, read 11,919,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobias C View Post
What are you talking about?? Toledos had 23 or 24 homicides this year, let alone since August.
This is true.

Toledo does have the highest arson rate, and 2nd highest Burglary rate of it's population group though (250k+).

Old 11-20-2011, 11:24 PM

374 posts, read 1,124,236 times
Quote:
Toledo is an overall safe city. You never hear anyone say Pittsburgh is a dangerous city, but Toledo has far fewer murders every year in spite of both cities having a population around 300,000.
I actually hear people call Pittsburgh a dangerous city.... I was just in Pittsburgh a few weeks ago and my friends there do tell me how bad its been... Not trying to down this region of the country we live in, but most of these rust-belt cities have been experiencing an increase in crime since the beginning of the recession... That's just an unfortunate fact... Toledo, Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Buffalo, Dayton, Flint, Youngstown etc all have seen crazy increases recently....

Old 11-26-2011, 10:52 AM

374 posts, read 1,124,236 times
They caught the killers in 2 of Toledo's most recent homicides....

5 men arraigned in 2 homicides - Toledo Blade

However the person who killed a close friend of mine in Chicago is still on the loose... That might be the difference between Toledo and cities like Chicago, Atlanta, and Cleveland... Toledo has a higher rate of police solving homicides and taking killers of the streets than other cities... Excellent job by the Toledo Police Department especially considering they have the lowest ratio of officers per population in the state...

Old 12-01-2011, 07:02 AM

4,861 posts, read 9,306,196 times
Not to take away from what the Toledo police do and have accomplished, because you couldn't pay me enough to do their jobs, but I think one reason why they have a higher rate of solved murders might have to do with the fact that, compared to the other cities that you listed above, Toledo is essentially a "small town". It is probably much easier to get to know the worst offenders, who is connected with whom, who has it out for whom, who belongs to which gang, who lives where, etc. in a city the size of Toledo than in a city the size of Chicago.

That said, I also feel that the TPD is doing a great job. November was a murderous month in Toledo, and with the lack of manpower on the force and the number of stupid people who have no respect for human life, my hat is off to everyone in the department who have to make do with so much less than they need.

Old 12-01-2011, 12:36 PM

11 posts, read 44,294 times
I Was Just Going By What It Says On City Data For Toledo And Cleveland

Old 12-02-2011, 10:13 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,033,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lastonestanding View Post
I actually hear people call Pittsburgh a dangerous city.... I was just in Pittsburgh a few weeks ago and my friends there do tell me how bad its been... Not trying to down this region of the country we live in, but most of these rust-belt cities have been experiencing an increase in crime since the beginning of the recession... That's just an unfortunate fact... Toledo, Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Buffalo, Dayton, Flint, Youngstown etc all have seen crazy increases recently....
There has been no increase in crime in Pittsburgh since the beginning of the recession. Pittsburgh has fared better than most cities during the recession and currently has a 6.8% unemployment rate. I'm not sure who your friend in Pittsburgh is, but they sound like Chicken Little.

Old 12-05-2011, 02:45 PM

6,601 posts, read 8,977,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canudigit View Post
Not to take away from what the Toledo police do and have accomplished, because you couldn't pay me enough to do their jobs, but I think one reason why they have a higher rate of solved murders might have to do with the fact that, compared to the other cities that you listed above, Toledo is essentially a "small town". It is probably much easier to get to know the worst offenders, who is connected with whom, who has it out for whom, who belongs to which gang, who lives where, etc. in a city the size of Toledo than in a city the size of Chicago.

That said, I also feel that the TPD is doing a great job. November was a murderous month in Toledo, and with the lack of manpower on the force and the number of stupid people who have no respect for human life, my hat is off to everyone in the department who have to make do with so much less than they need.
Individual police officers may be doing fine, but the Toledo Police force as a whole is sorely lacking. Toledo is the only city that I've heard of where neighborhoods have actually hired their own private security firms to patrol:

Toledo neighborhoods weigh private security - Toledo Blade

Signal 88 beefs up security in S Toledo (http://www.foxtoledo.com/dpp/news/local/signal-88 - broken link)

Quote:
There has been no increase in crime in Pittsburgh since the beginning of the recession. Pittsburgh has fared better than most cities during the recession and currently has a 6.8% unemployment rate. I'm not sure who your friend in Pittsburgh is, but they sound like Chicken Little.
Pittsburgh and Toledo have very similar populations, yet the Pittsburgh Police have 904 officers, while the Toledo Police only have 593 officers (http://www.foxtoledo.com/dpp/news/local/44-toledo-police-recruits-start-class - broken link). Toledo is even slightly larger in area, exacerbating the problem (though Pittsburgh probably does have a higher daytime population).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Toledo