Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Toledo
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-03-2013, 02:37 PM

4 posts, read 9,588 times

Advertisements

Full Disclosure: I am a 22 year old single white female who will be living alone. I was born and raised in an extremely safe suburb of Detroit. I lived in Bowling Green, Ohio in 2009-2010 and found that to be a very safe environment. However, I have spent the last approx. 3 years living in Kalamazoo, Michigan. This was a large culture shock after my year in Bowling Green. I have been living in a 35+ person sorority house with a security system etc. However, a break in at our house has left me quite skittish and safety concerned. I'm not completely sheltered...I spent a lot of time volunteering in Detroit Public Schools growing up....and being in a urban atmosphere doesn't so much make me nervous, as looking like a target because I'm a female by themselves. As I return to Ohio to attend the nursing program at Toledo, I'm looking at my various housing options

Based upon my extensive research I've come to the conclusion that there's 3 types of potential housing options: Apartments near campus, Downtown Lofts, or apartments/home rentals in the various suburbs of toledo. I have basically ruled out living in an apartment around campus based upon their safety records and reviews as well as reviews on the complexes themselves.

Downtown I've been looking at several buildings. their private covered parking and central secured entrance appeals to me:

1) Standart Lofts
2) La Salle Apartments
3) The Commodore Perry

I've also looked at dozens of options in the suburbs...it all kinda blends together. I've considered moving back to Bowling Green and commuting in, but this would be a last resort option if I can find something adequate thats safe. One of the main complaints I've found in people who choose the burbs is how isolating they are.

Any and all advice would be appreciated. I'm looking for at minimum a 1 bedroom/1 Bath (no studios) apartment. Cost is not a primary concern.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2013, 09:53 AM

4,861 posts, read 9,307,609 times
If cost is no concern, I would be looking around the Levis Commons area of Perrysburg. It's safe with great amenities and easy access to 475/75. However, it probably isn't all that much closer in than BG.

Other than Perrysburg, I would focus my search around Sylvania, the more outlying the better.

Old 02-06-2013, 04:27 AM

896 posts, read 1,853,225 times
Just for the record, there are more than just the downtown Lofts and suburban complexes. Those are just the most obvious places that happen to be good quality. I always recommend looking in the Old West End as well. Many of the huge old Victorian houses have been divided up into apartments. You can find a really unique apartment in the OWE. While the immediate surrounding neighborhood is really rough, the core of the OWE is quite safe and full of active involved and open minded residents. They even pay to have private security patrol the neighborhood. I would definitely check out some places around there to see if its for you.

The 3 places you mentioned downtown are all decent places. You could rent at any of them for around 650ish I suspect, give or take a bit depending on the particular unit. I'm particularly familiar with the LaSalle as my brother-in-law and his girlfriend live there and they love it. Also consider that there's smaller apartment buildings as well as storefronts with cool apartments above, you just gotta dig around to find them.

Renting in the suburbs is absolutely fine if it serves you practically (proximity to work, excellent public schools, you prefer the lifestyle)....but I tend to think that as far as safety goes for women specifically, there's creepy people everywhere. Why isolate yourself amongst un-neighborly people who you can't count on to look out for you. That's why I imagine the Old West End serving you well. Not to stereotype, but your neighbors will quite possibly be a middle age, gay couple, and I would find that to be a positive thing.

Just my opinion. If you have any other questions feel free to ask! Good luck

Old 02-06-2013, 09:37 PM

4,861 posts, read 9,307,609 times
The OP's first concern was safety, and for a single woman to live in the OWE means that she would have to drive through bad neighborhoods to go anywhere outside of her immediate neighborhood, including basic errands like getting groceries, going to the mall, etc. There is still more crime in the OWE than in the suburbs too, even if it is safer than the neighborhoods around it.

Living in a suburb does not automatically mean that she would find herself "isolated amongst un-neighborly people who you can't count on to look out for you" any more than living in the OWE would automatically mean that she would have kind, neighborly people living next door. These things work on a case by case basis. There are good and bad people everywhere.

I am a female and have lived in this area my entire life. If I was single and lived alone, I would feel a lot safer coming home at night to a place on the outskirts of Perrysburg or Sylvania than to a place in the OWE, and the crime statistics will back this up. It would be a no brainer.

Old 03-02-2013, 12:53 PM

2,919 posts, read 1,983,944 times
Not knowing exactly where your school will be located, I'll make the suggestion to live fairly close to it, and definitely not where you'll have to take the highway if you will be in school during winter, which I'm guessing you will in 2014. I live in northwest Toledo and used to drive to Maumee for work. It was a pain, and I can tell you the highways are not always taken care during winter as well as they should be. People might differ with me about that, but I've experienced it.

If you'll be at UT's main campus Sylvania wouldn't be too bad. One thing to look for when looking at apartments here is how soundproof they are. Many apartment buildings were built when the standards were lower. I live in an apartment building I wish I could move out of but can't yet. I live on the bottom floor and I can hear the neighbor above me sneeze, his phone conversations, etc., and he can hear everything I do. It's terrible, and I'm guessing also a fire hazard as there probably isn't a firewall built in between floors. So for your own comfort and peace of mind I suggest paying attention to how solid the floors feel when you look at places if you are on the 2nd floor or higher. And also if you can hear people on other floors.

During the 90's I spent some time with a girl who lived in an apartment building that was solid, and it seemed safe from what I could tell. Wish I could remember the name, but it was just off Alexis Road. You're probably looking for something even safer though. Sylvania might be a good place to start looking depending on where exactly you'll be going to school. It's not real close to campus but you could take city streets and be at school in a decent amount of time.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Toledo