Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Toledo
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2014, 06:58 AM

1,636 posts, read 2,140,985 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by warren zee View Post
Does the OP want Michigan to take over the world?

I'm not on the Ohio forum that much, but last time I noticed that he wanted to form a new region of the country with Michigan at it's center - or something like that.

Another time he was worried that he South West was stealing Michigan's water.
No, not trying to take over the world.

I merely suggested that the Great Lakes Basin becoming one administrative region would be a very interesting concept. It is not my fault that Michigan is it's center. It's just geography. And, yes, I am afraid of our water being taken over to support the future "thirst belt".

http://mff.dsisd.net/mff/Images/GreatLakesBasin.jpg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2014, 10:42 AM

4,361 posts, read 7,171,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Republic of Michigan View Post
The Wisconsin Territory was at one time part of the Michigan Territory.Plus, in 1833, Congress had annexed huge tracts of land west of the Mississippi to the then Michigan Territory. When the Wisconsin Territory was split off from the Michigan Territory, it inherited this western land. So as far as I am concerned, the UP belongs to Michigan and arguably so does Wisconsin.
Hey, why don't you claim Illinois and Indiana while you're at it? You know, since they're both part of the former NW Territory of which Michigan is the obvious center and owner of.

Old 02-13-2014, 10:52 AM

Quote:
No, not trying to take over the world.

I merely suggested that the Great Lakes Basin becoming one administrative region would be a very interesting concept. It is not my fault that Michigan is it's center. It's just geography. And, yes, I am afraid of our water being taken over to support the future "thirst belt".

http://mff.dsisd.net/mff/Images/GreatLakesBasin.jpg
It essentially already is. The Great Lakes Compact and, of course, Canada have a great interest in seeing that this doesn't happen.

Old 02-13-2014, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland_Collector View Post
It essentially already is. The Great Lakes Compact and, of course, Canada have a great interest in seeing that this doesn't happen.
Canada wants to bury nuclear waste in Lake Huron.

Old 02-13-2014, 03:29 PM

Well, that's one way to stop the dust belt from wanting our water. Then again, maybe not...

Old 02-14-2014, 01:09 PM

11,052 posts, read 12,430,954 times
Let's dismantle Ohio. Toledo to Michigan, Cleveland to Connecticut.

Should we give Detroit back to the French?

Old 02-14-2014, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
Let's dismantle Ohio. Toledo to Michigan, Cleveland to Connecticut.

Should we give Detroit back to the French?
I don't think people in Detroit would speak French well.

Old 02-16-2014, 08:28 AM

896 posts, read 1,852,379 times
Why would you even want to be saddled with another struggling city?

Old 02-16-2014, 09:23 AM

7,072 posts, read 9,609,396 times
Quote:
Canada wants to bury nuclear waste in Lake Huron.
Canada already dumps it's trash in Michigan.

Old 02-16-2014, 10:46 PM

Canadian Trash, Landfills, DEQ [Michigan Capitol Confidential]

It was temporary solution for Ontario. It has stopped. But even during the time Canada was sending household waste, Michigan's landfills were underutilized. In addition, Michigan exported more trash out of state than it received. Plus, it exported more hazardous waste to Canada than the other way around.

"In 2008, Michigan residents sent approximately 40 million cubic yards of solid household waste to the state's 49 landfills, down from a peak of nearly 47 million cubic yards in 2000. By contrast, Ontario sent about 11 million cubic yards to Michigan in 2008, down from a peak of 12 million in 2006. Ten other states sent Michigan nearly 6.5 million cubic yards in 2008, down from a peak of nearly 7 million in 2006." Michigan's net outflow was more than intake.

"Michigan's neighboring states (Indiana, Illinois, Ohio and Wisconsin) have struck deals for waste disposal in the Great Lakes State, as have states as far afield as Connecticut, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New York and Pennsylvania.
urthermore, Michigan ships hazardous liquid and electronic waste to Ontario and Quebec, respectively. According to Connie Pennell, supervisor of the Michigan Department of Environmental Quality's Hazardous Waste and Materials Division, Michigan exported 21,333 tons of hazardous liquid and solid waste to Canada in 2008, while at the same time accepting 11,525 tons of hazardous waste from Canada.

As for household waste from Canada, Michigan landfills were intended from the beginning to be a temporary solution until Ontario permitted and developed new disposal sites. Toronto, for example, only signed contracts with Michigan landfills through 2010, since it had promised that it would cease shipments of residential trash by the end of 2010. From a peak of 140 trucks per day in 2003, metropolitan Toronto's daily shipments dropped to 80 to 90 trucks per day in 2006, with a targeted reduction to 35 trucks per day this year."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Toledo
View detailed profiles of: