Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Toledo
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-17-2011, 05:48 AM

4 posts, read 13,723 times

Advertisements

I just moved to the Port Clinton, OH area. I'm from the Detroit area so moving here is a HUGE adjustment. I guess I'm not used to driving so far to go everywhere. Where I lived in Michigan everything was right there what you needed. I had to drive 20 miles to find a Walgreens to pick up my prescription here.
The Sandusky Mall is horrible. I really hope they build this area up. I'm here for good with my husband's job. It's just so boring here.
If you want to do any good shopping you have to drive to Toldeo or Cleveland. Like I said I'm not used to small town living. Do you all think I will adjust?? :-/
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2011, 07:18 AM

3,968 posts, read 8,498,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yasha77 View Post
I just moved to the Port Clinton, OH area. I'm from the Detroit area so moving here is a HUGE adjustment. I guess I'm not used to driving so far to go everywhere. Where I lived in Michigan everything was right there what you needed. I had to drive 20 miles to find a Walgreens to pick up my prescription here.
The Sandusky Mall is horrible. I really hope they build this area up. I'm here for good with my husband's job. It's just so boring here.
If you want to do any good shopping you have to drive to Toldeo or Cleveland. Like I said I'm not used to small town living. Do you all think I will adjust?? :-/
Whether or not you adjust will depend a lot on you. If you have an attitude that you are going to make the best of things and go out and look around, chances are you will find what you need. I see that the closest Walgreen's to Port Clinton is in Fremont, so yes, that could be a little inconvenient. You might have to make some adjustments and switch to a different store that is closer. There are a lot of things around there that are interesting, although this is not the prime time for many of them. We live in a small town (smaller than Port Clinton) and also have to drive to Toledo or Fort Wayne for some things, but we have everything we NEED right here.

I guess the thing is to decide what you NEED and what you WANT. Focus on the things you need around there and keep the things you want for those special times when you get to Toledo or even Cleveland.

While there may be disadvantages to living in a small town, if you go in with an open mind and an open heart, I am sure you will settle in. We have a neighbor, a retiree, here who lived all his life in the Detroit area, moving here from Allen Park. who says he will never go back to the city.

Best wishes to you and your family.

Old 11-17-2011, 09:48 AM

896 posts, read 1,852,553 times
For how far away you are from any main shopping corridor of metro Toledo, it doesn't take very long honestly. Maybe like 45 - 50 mins. It won't be the end of the world for ya. You have all of the daily to weekly essentials in Port Clinton, or at least Sandusky or Fremont.

And I agree that the area becomes a lot more exciting in the warmer months when recreation and tourism explode around the lake.

Old 11-17-2011, 01:29 PM

555 posts, read 891,774 times
I moved from Tampa to a small town in southern Ohio and fell in love with it. I agree with the previous posters; you can usually discover everything you need in a small town, and big-city getaways will be that much more exciting. (Maybe you and your husband can do romantic city weekends.)

Old 11-17-2011, 04:50 PM

7,072 posts, read 9,610,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yasha77 View Post

Do you do any boating? Port Clinton is one of the boating meccas of Ohio. Coming from Michigan, this should be a given.

Old 11-18-2011, 07:03 AM

154 posts, read 605,836 times
Port Clinton ain't no Detroit. And I doubt it will ever be, good or bad. Get used to driving for things. Get used to tourists and fishermen in the summer. PIB is a hot spot for the partying crowd and Port Clinton is the jump off point for many.

Old 11-19-2011, 04:54 PM

4,861 posts, read 9,304,433 times
OP, I know how you feel. A couple of years ago we moved to a small town in Michigan from a suburb of Toledo. Suddenly, Target, Walmart, any kind of mall, etc. was at least 20 minutes away and it was a big adjustment. Two years later, I have adjusted and I have learned to enjoy the benefits of small town living. For one thing, crime is almost non-existent here, which is wonderful. People are friendlier, and the cashiers in the local stores, post office, etc. actually remember you and speak to you on a personal level, which is nice. I have learned that when I need some obscure item that I would have to go to Walmart, Target, Meijer, or a mall store for, that sometimes I must wait and not have it instantly as I was used to. Learning to be patient and make due has not been a bad thing.

Overall, I prefer small town living. I don't think that I would mind living in Port Clinton, the lake is nice and they have enough shopping to get by on between trips to the "big city". It truly is a whole different ball game in the summer/tourist months, so hang on and you will see that PC can be a lot of fun for several months of the year and you will also hopefully learn to appreciate the quiet times like now when the tourists have left for the season.

Old 01-22-2012, 04:01 PM

911 posts, read 2,598,887 times
been to port clinton and i loved it......but theres something about it that makes me think i've i ever moved there i'd be strung up in a tree somewhere or have a cross burned on my yard. also it seems so gloomy there.

Old 02-19-2012, 05:12 PM

4 posts, read 13,723 times
Thank You everyone for your input!! I'm still slowly adjusting and I've been trying to make monthly trips to Cleveland for some fun and shopping! Thanks and I'm sure summer here will be alot of fun with the water and islands

Old 05-26-2012, 09:59 AM

2 posts, read 6,344 times
Is there alot of racial tension in this area... why the crossburning comment?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Toledo