Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Toledo
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2017, 12:37 PM

2 posts, read 4,889 times

Advertisements

I currently live in the Eastern Metro Detroit area and am possibly looking at a very strong lead for a job in the Toledo area.

Should I get this job, my commute from the current place I live is 2 hours each way which makes no sense.
I am considering either moving to Sylvania area (based on my research from older topics) or move to A2. I know no one in either of these areas. All my friends and family are in the Metro Detroit region. I am quite an outdoorsy person, but from what I heard, doing anything in Lake Erie around Toledo is no-no????

Commute from Sylvania would be 15 mins while from A2 it would be about an hour each way. My current commute is just over 30 mins each way.

Can someone tell me what the commute is? I was planning to use US23 for majority of the commute and live as close as possible to US23 should I decide on A2.

I am in my mid-late 20s and from what I have heard, there isn't much of a dating scene in Toledo....as someone told me, I would be living in a depressing city with no prospects

A2 is super expensive to live/rent, I would have an hour long commute each way, then there's MI car insurance and the gas + vehicle wear & tear. But I would have family and friends within an hour of me. Better dating scene for me.

Sylvania seems like a good area based on what I have read in older posts here. Cost of living/renting would be lower, car insurance will be much cheaper and so will the gas + wear & tear. But I would out far away (1.5-2 hours) from anyone I know. Clueless about the dating scene. Not really looking into dating younger undergrads/partying every night type.

Little confused....can anyone shed some light? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2017, 01:04 PM

555 posts, read 892,368 times
I can't tell you anything about the dating scene, but Toledo has great parks for hiking even when Lake Erie is not at its best. It's a good place for lovers of the outdoors.

Old 11-05-2017, 10:17 PM

896 posts, read 1,853,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsean0495 View Post
I currently live in the Eastern Metro Detroit area and am possibly looking at a very strong lead for a job in the Toledo area.

Welcome to Toledo!

Should I get this job, my commute from the current place I live is 2 hours each way which makes no sense.
I am considering either moving to Sylvania area (based on my research from older topics) or move to A2. I know no one in either of these areas. All my friends and family are in the Metro Detroit region. I am quite an outdoorsy person, but from what I heard, doing anything in Lake Erie around Toledo is no-no????

Its fine to enjoy recreation on Lake Erie. Boating, canoeing, kayaking, fishing, etc....thats no problem. As far as swimming goes, I wouldnt recommend swimming at any of the beaches that have higher bacteria counts. Maumee Bay State Park is one of the worse ones. Theres also the algae which is not healthy to be in contact with or consume. I swim in Lake Erie all the time and my 2 year old daughter has been swimming in it since she was 6 months old. You just really dont want to drink any substantial amount of the water but its fine to swim, especially at some of the beaches farther east. We go to East Harbor State Park a lot which is about an hour east of Toledo near Port Clinton. Its quite clean.

Commute from Sylvania would be 15 mins while from A2 it would be about an hour each way. My current commute is just over 30 mins each way.

Can someone tell me what the commute is? I was planning to use US23 for majority of the commute and live as close as possible to US23 should I decide on A2.

Not sure where exactly in the city you would be working, but yeah, if you live in Ann Arbor,
or even in Sylvania, youre going to take 23 down to 475 and then either continue south on 475/23 if youre going toward Maumee or Perrysburg, or east on 475, if you need to go into the city toward Downtown.
Ann Arbor would be quite the drive but if you dont mind it, then I guess its a decent choice. Its obviously a great little city.

I am in my mid-late 20s and from what I have heard, there isn't much of a dating scene in Toledo....as someone told me, I would be living in a depressing city with no prospects

I unfortunately dont know a lot about the dating scene here either as im 30, and have been with my wife since i was 21. It is what it is though. Theres over 600,000 people in metro Toledo. Theres someone for everyone, but without really knowing you and what kind of people you like to be around,
its hard to give advice.

A2 is super expensive to live/rent, I would have an hour long commute each way, then there's MI car insurance and the gas + vehicle wear & tear. But I would have family and friends within an hour of me. Better dating scene for me.

Sylvania seems like a good area based on what I have read in older posts here. Cost of living/renting would be lower, car insurance will be much cheaper and so will the gas + wear & tear. But I would out far away (1.5-2 hours) from anyone I know. Clueless about the dating scene. Not really looking into dating younger undergrads/partying every night type.

I guess since youre in your mid-to-late twenties, ill call you 27.....it makes sense that you dont want to be dating not-serious college age people. So it boils down to what type of people your age youre into. I know a lot of more cultured, educated people tend to move away to bigger cities so that can be a let down for some people. When it comes to younger adults, Toledo is more populated with working class people than anything, so take that for whatever its worth to you. With that said, there are still plenty of decent educated adults to meet and hang out with around here if you know where to go. If you dont know anybody around here, youll most likely meet people via the people you work with at your new job I suspect?
So they might lead you to other types of people that they fit in with, but who knows if itll appeal to you.
With more knowledge about you personally I could probably recommend some better places to hang out but I have no idea where like, singles congregate or anything.

Little confused....can anyone shed some light? Thanks!
Feel free to ask any other questions and I or others will try to answer the best we can. Toledo in my opinion is basically like a miniature version of metro Detroit. We have most everything you would ever need or want here, just in smaller doses.....and honestly, for anything greater you may need, its not that hard to cruise back on up to Detroit, or over to Cleveland or Columbus.

Old 11-06-2017, 02:33 PM

6,601 posts, read 8,981,085 times
Man, I would choose Ann Arbor based on the commute alone. Assuming you have a regular 5 day work week, consider that you'll be spending 20 hours a week commuting if you live in A2, vs 2.5 if you live in Sylvania. You can fit in a lot of dating and outdoor activities in those extra 17.5 hours a week. Particularly in months when it gets darker earlier.

Add in the cost difference and you have a lot more money left for dating and outdoor activities.

I haven't the slightest clue about the dating scene, but Toledo isn't some podunk town, I'm sure there's a scene of some sort. Maybe not in Sylvania, but it's not exactly far from there to get into Up/Downtown Toledo.

Old 11-06-2017, 11:27 PM

911 posts, read 2,599,691 times
thats a long drive every day. i wouldnt do it.

if u get a job in the sylvania area, i'd say move a bit closer. maybe not toledo if u want to stay in michigan. monroe or something?

it gets bad on the freeway in the winter and i'd hate to see anything happen to u driving that far to and from work.

gas is cheaper in toledo, insurance and tags are cheaper as well.

what u pay in rent in A2 u could get a really nice place here for the same or less

dating scene? just dont fall for married people like most do here.

good luck!

Old 11-07-2017, 09:33 AM

6,601 posts, read 8,981,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferraris View Post
Man, I would choose Ann Arbor based on the commute alone.
That should say I would NOT choose Ann Arbor based on the commute alone!

Old 11-09-2017, 05:06 AM

4,861 posts, read 9,309,027 times
I live along 23 about halfway between Toledo and Ann Arbor. 23 is usually smooth sailing with the majority of the congestion being on the Ann Arbor end, but it is a two lane highway so if there is an accident or road construction it can be a major pain and is occasionally closed if major clean up is needed after an accident.

If you do choose to live in Ann Arbor, definitely choose the south side of town as close to 23 as possible. Rush hour traffic in AA is the pits, since 23, 14, and 94 are all two lane highways and rush hour there involves a lot of stop and go, bumper to bumper congestion. If you move somewhere along Plymouth Rd. or Geddes Rd. I can guarantee you that you will not like your commute if you drive to work during the typical rush hour period, likewise if you move somewhere too far west of 23 and are forced to use 94 to get to 23 because 94 is often a parking lot during the worst of rush hour.

Old 11-15-2017, 06:48 PM

2 posts, read 4,889 times
Thanks everyone for your response - I truly appreciate your insights. I got the job and now I need to figure out where I want to live and the moving part of it. I will be working in Maumee.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobias C View Post
Feel free to ask any other questions and I or others will try to answer the best we can. Toledo in my opinion is basically like a miniature version of metro Detroit. We have most everything you would ever need or want here, just in smaller doses.....and honestly, for anything greater you may need, its not that hard to cruise back on up to Detroit, or over to Cleveland or Columbus.
You guessed my age well - I turned 27 few weeks ago
I am a Buckeye - so C'bus would only be 2 hours away.

I am looking for cultured, college educated, goal oriented (if you want to call it that) people - someone who isn't into getting trashed and enjoys the outdoors/exploring/trying out new things. If you have any recommendations where people with such tastes hang out, I would very much like to know.

Not saying that dating in Metro Detroit is always phenomenal, but not having friends around me seems a little bit daunting. That being said though, you are correct - I am hoping that the people at work would be able to introduce me to others they know. But from the limited exposure I got, most people at work are in the 40-60 years age range.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by acealive1 View Post
thats a long drive every day. i wouldnt do it.
if u get a job in the sylvania area, i'd say move a bit closer. maybe not toledo if u want to stay in michigan. monroe or something?
it gets bad on the freeway in the winter and i'd hate to see anything happen to u driving that far to and from work.
gas is cheaper in toledo, insurance and tags are cheaper as well.
what u pay in rent in A2 u could get a really nice place here for the same or less
dating scene? just dont fall for married people like most do here.
good luck!
I appreciate your concern about safety in winter and that is the biggest problem, at least in my head.
Not really looking for married people
I lived in Columbus during my undergrad years - so I truly do appreciate the lower insurance, lower gas and tags cost. I was doing some preliminary research - a 2 bedroom apartment/condo is like $1400-1500 in A2. I could probably get the same thing for about $1000 in the Perrysburg area. I thought about Monroe and Milan MI as they are about half way. They are about 30-40 mins away from Maumee - so I am not sure if that would help accomplish much for me. Milan is a smaller town than I would prefer to live in and I dont think I would be able to live there for even a year. Have to check out Monroe....

Quote:
Originally Posted by canudigit View Post
I live along 23 about halfway between Toledo and Ann Arbor. 23 is usually smooth sailing with the majority of the congestion being on the Ann Arbor end, but it is a two lane highway so if there is an accident or road construction it can be a major pain and is occasionally closed if major clean up is needed after an accident.

If you do choose to live in Ann Arbor, definitely choose the south side of town as close to 23 as possible. Rush hour traffic in AA is the pits, since 23, 14, and 94 are all two lane highways and rush hour there involves a lot of stop and go, bumper to bumper congestion. If you move somewhere along Plymouth Rd. or Geddes Rd. I can guarantee you that you will not like your commute if you drive to work during the typical rush hour period, likewise if you move somewhere too far west of 23 and are forced to use 94 to get to 23 because 94 is often a parking lot during the worst of rush hour.
I was looking at areas just south of I-94 and within a couple of miles off US23. I agree with your thoughts - I have been in A2 in rush hour before. I refuse to travel through that everyday as I would be working normal office hours.

That being said, if anyone could point out to any good areas within Perrysburg or Sylvania for living, I would appreciate it. Somewhere cross cultural. Ideally I would like to swing a 2 bedroom condo with at least 1 car garage (have my project car out of storage Spring through late Fall) for about $1,000 or lower.

Old 11-15-2017, 06:55 PM

555 posts, read 892,368 times
If you are an outdoorsy person, something to consider is volunteering for the Metroparks. You would meet people who at least enjoy the same activities. (It has been a long time since I was young or dated, so I can't help you there.)

Old 11-16-2017, 03:17 AM

911 posts, read 2,599,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsean0495 View Post
Thanks everyone for your response - I truly appreciate your insights. I got the job and now I need to figure out where I want to live and the moving part of it. I will be working in Maumee.

You guessed my age well - I turned 27 few weeks ago
I am a Buckeye - so C'bus would only be 2 hours away.

I am looking for cultured, college educated, goal oriented (if you want to call it that) people - someone who isn't into getting trashed and enjoys the outdoors/exploring/trying out new things. If you have any recommendations where people with such tastes hang out, I would very much like to know.

Not saying that dating in Metro Detroit is always phenomenal, but not having friends around me seems a little bit daunting. That being said though, you are correct - I am hoping that the people at work would be able to introduce me to others they know. But from the limited exposure I got, most people at work are in the 40-60 years age range.....

I appreciate your concern about safety in winter and that is the biggest problem, at least in my head.
Not really looking for married people
I lived in Columbus during my undergrad years - so I truly do appreciate the lower insurance, lower gas and tags cost. I was doing some preliminary research - a 2 bedroom apartment/condo is like $1400-1500 in A2. I could probably get the same thing for about $1000 in the Perrysburg area. I thought about Monroe and Milan MI as they are about half way. They are about 30-40 mins away from Maumee - so I am not sure if that would help accomplish much for me. Milan is a smaller town than I would prefer to live in and I dont think I would be able to live there for even a year. Have to check out Monroe....

I was looking at areas just south of I-94 and within a couple of miles off US23. I agree with your thoughts - I have been in A2 in rush hour before. I refuse to travel through that everyday as I would be working normal office hours.

That being said, if anyone could point out to any good areas within Perrysburg or Sylvania for living, I would appreciate it. Somewhere cross cultural. Ideally I would like to swing a 2 bedroom condo with at least 1 car garage (have my project car out of storage Spring through late Fall) for about $1,000 or lower.

in perrysburg, near levis commons is really nice. they just built a ton of apartments/condos all around them.

u can get a nice place at the following for less than $1,000 a month

preston gardens https://www.morgancommunities.com/ap...eston-gardens/

mosaic https://www.mosaicleviscommons.com/

mayberry Home

and pretty much anywhere on fremont pike in the area by holiday inn french quarter.

the city of sylvania if you drive across US 23 west on alexis in that area isnt bad either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Toledo