Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Toledo
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2017, 07:16 PM

45 posts, read 51,813 times

Advertisements

Which Toledo suburb is in the most need of an economic boost? Which older suburb is most likely to starting seeing growth again in the next 5 to 10 years?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2018, 02:17 PM

2,309 posts, read 3,860,140 times
Rossford's population is at an all time peak after seeing decline between 2000 and 2010. Maumee's population has been declining since the late 70s, early 80s. Would love to see Maumee spring back to life. Always liked Maumee because you could drive from downtown Maumee practically straight to downtown Toledo. Even though Maumee butts right up to Toledo city and many of the neighborhoods mix together I always felt like I was in a completely different place away from the big city when I was in downtown Maumee.

Old 06-30-2018, 01:17 PM

2,695 posts, read 3,780,034 times
I always liked Maumee overall, but I haven't visited in a while.

Old 07-03-2018, 08:51 AM

6,601 posts, read 9,005,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenvillebuckeye View Post
Rossford's population is at an all time peak after seeing decline between 2000 and 2010. Maumee's population has been declining since the late 70s, early 80s. Would love to see Maumee spring back to life. Always liked Maumee because you could drive from downtown Maumee practically straight to downtown Toledo. Even though Maumee butts right up to Toledo city and many of the neighborhoods mix together I always felt like I was in a completely different place away from the big city when I was in downtown Maumee.
Maybe Maumee isn't flourishing, but it's not floundering either. Toledo doesn't really have any downtrodden suburbs like you see in some other metros.

The only areas that "need" a boost in the Toledo metro are within Toledo itself if you ask me.

Old 07-04-2018, 03:05 AM

896 posts, read 1,858,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferraris View Post
Maybe Maumee isn't flourishing, but it's not floundering either. Toledo doesn't really have any downtrodden suburbs like you see in some other metros.

The only areas that "need" a boost in the Toledo metro are within Toledo itself if you ask me.

I mostly agree. As far as suburban-types of areas go... I would say an area like Southwyck could use a boost. Most all of the actual suburban cities are doing fine and seeing consistent new development and what not.

The one exception that comes to mind for me is Northwood. I'm rarely over that way (unless I'm eating at Cousinos) so I wouldn't consider myself an authority on that area ........but the whole Woodville Rd corridor which is effectively the business center of Northwood has seemed depressed to me for a long time, especially with the big Great Eastern Shopping Plaza barely occupied and the closed and demolished Woodville Mall (RIP I loved that place when I was a teenager) Unfortunately, I suspect that there probably isn't much of a future for any major new development in that immediate area because the demand simply isn't there....especially with Navarre in Oregon in close enough proximity and all the new sprawling development out Rt 20 in Perrysburg/Rossford. The Meijer store probably handles the immediate communities needs sufficiently enough.

Old 07-04-2018, 05:22 AM

4,861 posts, read 9,328,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobias C View Post
I mostly agree. As far as suburban-types of areas go... I would say an area like Southwyck could use a boost. Most all of the actual suburban cities are doing fine and seeing consistent new development and what not.

The one exception that comes to mind for me is Northwood. I'm rarely over that way (unless I'm eating at Cousinos) so I wouldn't consider myself an authority on that area ........but the whole Woodville Rd corridor which is effectively the business center of Northwood has seemed depressed to me for a long time, especially with the big Great Eastern Shopping Plaza barely occupied and the closed and demolished Woodville Mall (RIP I loved that place when I was a teenager) Unfortunately, I suspect that there probably isn't much of a future for any major new development in that immediate area because the demand simply isn't there....especially with Navarre in Oregon in close enough proximity and all the new sprawling development out Rt 20 in Perrysburg/Rossford. The Meijer store probably handles the immediate communities needs sufficiently enough.
I could not agree more. The Woodville Rd. corridor is shabby and sad and like you said, there isn't the demand so no one is going to put anything into developing it or trying to spruce it up. The last time I was over there it seemed like a it was mostly a sorry collection of empty storefronts, small time used car lots, and party stores. It would be very frustrating to be the mayor and/or city council of Northwood and have to try to figure out not only how to attract new businesses but also how to make the area more aesthetically pleasing overall. Right now it is a mess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Toledo