Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Toledo
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2018, 03:54 PM

1 posts, read 1,212 times

Advertisements

To whom it may concern:

I write to express my right to a free education and intolerance toward the current system set in place. This text is more of a cry for help. Neither me nor my family have any money. I have found it to be impossible to reach the dollar amount I need to pay for tuition, books, etc. I did not qualify for enough financial aid or grants to cover the expenses of my local community college. I find it unreasonable to expect young people to be willing to blindly jump head first into almost insurmountable debt. I have enormous aspirations toward a career in physics, nanotechnology, and post-graduate education. My plans were to knock out general education courses at a community college to save money, and then pursue my physics degree and possibly masters or P.h.D. at a larger university. I know there are cheaper ways to achieve financial success without paying for a four-year university, but I happen to believe in the freedom to pursue happiness. I am a person of liberal moral principles. I feel trapped and pinned down by my government. Leaving the country in search of a free education is something I’ve looked into, but would not be a possible outlet for me to my knowledge. My last resort as I see it, is to reach out to like-minded liberals in search of opportunity. I am merely looking for an opportunity or just a chance to have a debt-free future. I just need some way I can apply myself in the ways that I’m good at, in the fields of science and mathematics, without plunging into debt. So, if anyone across the nation knows of a solution or opportunity, I’m ready to jump at it, because I cannot ethically take part in the current system for higher education. Honestly, I would rather delve into a risky chance opportunity to get at something like I’m describing than conform to the asinine institution of American education just to make a statement. I have even looked into investing and stocks and bonds. I’m always hearing about these kind of liberal, entrepreneurial ideas surrounding Silicon Valley and California but I just have no connections or means of networking. Any kind of opportunity that could accommodate a semi-comfortable living situation, create opportunities for me to grow within a company, build my credentials, add to my repertoire of experience, and lead me toward my goals instead of debt is what I am desperately seeking. This seems like a lot to ask even to me as I am writing this; however, I feel strongly about my belief in free or easily obtainable access to higher education. There is probably nothing I can do to make a change governmentally besides vote in the minority of a Trump White House. It scares me that America the “land of the free” is too hard-nosed or corrupt for the poor and for minorities in general and I might have to just flee to Europe somewhere. Maybe no one else thinks this way. I just want a fair shot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2018, 12:59 AM

896 posts, read 1,853,484 times
As somebody with similar beliefs as yours, i can sympathize. Opportunity is not as easy to come by as many people think, especially when finances aren't in your favor. I'm 31 and never attended college. I've always been a fairly smart dude, but I basically wasted my opportunities in high school, so college was always going to have to mostly come out of my pocket. Theres never been a career or degree that really appealed to me enough to incur the massive debt neccesary to attempt to forge a career that I believe in. So I've basically turned to industrial labor. If you would've asked me in high school if it's where I saw myself, i would've said no..... but it's what pays the bill's and I've created a comfortable enough lifestyle from it.

I have no interest in talking politics on our Toledo city forum here. All I can say is a fair shot can be hard to come by in our country. If you have the means to seek greener pastures overseas....then by all means go for it.
Until then, you should probably ponder what plan B and even C might be for you. I dont know how old you are exactly but at some point youll have to start truly building for your future....and you wont be able to do it by waiting for the ideal opportunity that suits your desires because it may never come.

Best of luck to you though.

Old 08-09-2018, 06:09 AM

9,290 posts, read 14,902,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anakin_skywalker View Post
To whom it may concern:

I write to express my right to a free education and intolerance toward the current system set in place. This text is more of a cry for help. Neither me nor my family have any money. I have found it to be impossible to reach the dollar amount I need to pay for tuition, books, etc. I did not qualify for enough financial aid or grants to cover the expenses of my local community college. I find it unreasonable to expect young people to be willing to blindly jump head first into almost insurmountable debt. I have enormous aspirations toward a career in physics, nanotechnology, and post-graduate education. My plans were to knock out general education courses at a community college to save money, and then pursue my physics degree and possibly masters or P.h.D. at a larger university. I know there are cheaper ways to achieve financial success without paying for a four-year university, but I happen to believe in the freedom to pursue happiness. I am a person of liberal moral principles. I feel trapped and pinned down by my government. Leaving the country in search of a free education is something I’ve looked into, but would not be a possible outlet for me to my knowledge. My last resort as I see it, is to reach out to like-minded liberals in search of opportunity. I am merely looking for an opportunity or just a chance to have a debt-free future. I just need some way I can apply myself in the ways that I’m good at, in the fields of science and mathematics, without plunging into debt. So, if anyone across the nation knows of a solution or opportunity, I’m ready to jump at it, because I cannot ethically take part in the current system for higher education. Honestly, I would rather delve into a risky chance opportunity to get at something like I’m describing than conform to the asinine institution of American education just to make a statement. I have even looked into investing and stocks and bonds. I’m always hearing about these kind of liberal, entrepreneurial ideas surrounding Silicon Valley and California but I just have no connections or means of networking. Any kind of opportunity that could accommodate a semi-comfortable living situation, create opportunities for me to grow within a company, build my credentials, add to my repertoire of experience, and lead me toward my goals instead of debt is what I am desperately seeking. This seems like a lot to ask even to me as I am writing this; however, I feel strongly about my belief in free or easily obtainable access to higher education. There is probably nothing I can do to make a change governmentally besides vote in the minority of a Trump White House. It scares me that America the “land of the free” is too hard-nosed or corrupt for the poor and for minorities in general and I might have to just flee to Europe somewhere. Maybe no one else thinks this way. I just want a fair shot.
I know many students who have achieved "full freight" scholarships based on their academic achievements and scores to excellent 4 year universities. (I am assuming you have competitive grades, etc.) If so, there is plenty of scholarship money out there.

You need to select and apply to as many schools that you want to attend as you can. One of them will likely come through for you. Even Harvard is needs blind these days.

Old 08-09-2018, 08:25 AM

555 posts, read 892,368 times
Something to consider: one of the schools in the Work Colleges Consortium. All students at the schools participate in community and service work as part of their program, work that offsets the cost of attendance, though it may not cover it completely. I know that Berea College (in Kentucky) provides a full tuition scholarship for all accepted students and is actively seeking students from minority groups. Quick Facts - Berea College

Old 08-09-2018, 10:08 AM

317 posts, read 826,184 times
Life is rarely fair. Ignore the political landscape and overcome the obstacles put in front of you. It won't be easy, but you can look back at your life and be proud of yourself.

You will need plan to do so. If I was just starting out again and just out of high school, I would be come an apprentice for some trade. The money is good and there is ample opportunity. Pay as go through school.

Old 08-10-2018, 03:18 PM

148 posts, read 459,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anakin_skywalker View Post
To whom it may concern:

I'm a university professor, and have a few thoughts for you:

There is no right to free education after high school. Some states, like California, have had no or very-low tuition universities for many years, but those days are over.

Debt is now a part of attending university. Without family support, it is nearly impossible to attend university and beyond without accruing some debt.

On the other hand, higher education is an excellent long term investment in your future. Even if you finish university with 20-30K in debt, you can manage after you find employment. Your income potential is much, much higher with a university degree.

Do not plan to attend graduate school just to make more money. If you aren't focused on what you are learning, you aren't in school for the right reason.

You mentioned attending community college for the first two years. This is a good idea. Most community colleges are affordable, and you should be able to work and attend school part time and cover all costs.

If you are struggling to find the right program at the right price, some things that might be in your way:
1. HS grades/SAT scores. How was your HS achievement?
2. Extracurricular activities in your area of interest - have you been developing your skills in the area you want to study?
3. What state are you in? Some states have incredibly expensive public universities - NH, OH, PA among them. Other states have much more reasonable tuition - California, Wyoming, etc.

It sounds to me like you need to consult with a college admissions officer, or someone who can guide you through this difficult process. Don't give up, there are many paths forward.

Old 08-10-2018, 08:31 PM

55 posts, read 56,368 times
Join the military

Old 08-10-2018, 08:37 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,896,554 times
Do you have a work history? Might it be possible to work part time and go to college part- time? Most colleges have on-campus student jobs available and hours can be flexible for them.

Berea College was mentioned upthread - while Berea does not charge tuition - all students work (through the college) - it is extremely academically competitive for all who apply there, minorities included. Berea also focuses on (but is not limited to) students from the Southern Appalachians whose families are of modest means. Berea is non-denominational Christian and has considerable emphasis on ethical living and service to others.

Antioch College in Yellow Springs, Ohio, is somewhat similar and might be worth a look. It is traditionally quite liberal and includes a strong emphasis on social justice and service. Like Berea, all students are required to hold a job while enrolled.

You can get an education - but it's not going to be "free", in most meanings of the word. Running a college is not cost-free, and professors have to eat, too. However, it will repay for itself many times over if you make careful decisions and are diligent.

Best wishes to you.

Old 08-10-2018, 11:20 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,404,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LT6789 View Post
Join the military
^^^^^This is how my father and his three brothers all became college graduates!

Old 08-13-2018, 09:19 AM

4,861 posts, read 9,309,027 times
are you sure you're not confusing "freedom to pursue happiness" with freedom from responsibility for your own life? I know that is blunt, but seriously, nothing in this life is free. If you could go through college at no cost to you, who do you think would be picking up the tab, or would money just fall from the sky into the university's coffers? The working tax payers would pick up the tab for your "free" education and then when you graduated and hopefully got a decent job, you would be paying high taxes to fund others' college educations, so where would you come out ahead, really?

Is this entitlement attitude a fairly recent phenomenon? I was in college during the mid-eighties (worked full-time around my classes to pay for it) and the idea of having a college education handed to one for free was not even a blip on the radar. If you wanted a higher education you knew it cost money and you found a way to pay for it. College wasn't as expensive then, to be sure, but then wages weren't nearly as high either. I was working for $5.20/hour to fund my full-time four year education. I do agree that colleges today seem to raise their rates too much too quickly, but since the whole thing has become a scam where schools get money by forcing kids to run up large amounts of debt to the government which then reimburses them, who do you blame? And no, sorry but this did not start with the current Administration, it was exactly the same under Obama.

I don't know, it just really concerns me that so many Millennials seem to feel so entitled to having everything handed to them for "free". Previous generations knew that if they wanted something meaningful or valuable it was going to take a lot of hard work and/or money from their own pocket. It was never considered the job of society in general to fund their lives for them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Toledo