Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Toledo
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2018, 02:38 PM

4,861 posts, read 9,250,886 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodeca View Post
This NYTimes map suggests that it's about 55% OSU 20% Michigan in most of Toledo; the ratio just about flips when you cross the border into the Michigan suburbs of Toledo.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...41.653,-83.538

For basketball, there appear to be more fans of Michigan than Ohio State in the Toledo area.

http://img.gawkerassets.com/post/11/...arger-01_1.png
So the other 25% doesn't root for either team?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2018, 04:50 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 37,941,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canudigit View Post
So the other 25% doesn't root for either team?
Maybe they're fans of Michigan State or U of Toledo?

Old 09-16-2018, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo View Post
Maybe they're fans of Michigan State or U of Toledo?
Good point.

Old 10-31-2018, 02:54 PM

615 posts, read 1,381,472 times
I think there are some fans of the Falcons (BGSU) as well.

Old 11-04-2018, 04:59 PM

2,901 posts, read 1,955,579 times
Most of the people born and raised here that I knew were OSU fans. Most of the Michigan fans were transplants from that state. Was always surprised when I was a kid and met someone from Toledo born and raised here that liked the Wolverines. Didn't make sense to me.

As a kid in the '70s and '80s we hardly got Indians and Cavaliers games, but we could pull in Tigers and Pistons games with a tower antenna. Which is why guys like me became fans of those two Detroit teams. Plus, Toledo being the AAA farm team of the Tigers gave an added connection. I don't feel a connection though to the Lions, at least not much of one. I did enjoy watching them when they had Billy Sims and later Barry Sanders.

Most football fans I've known in Toledo have been Browns fans. A few Lions fans here and there, and a low number of very confused Steeler fans.

Old 11-04-2018, 10:07 PM

148 posts, read 454,921 times
I think the Steelers fandom in Toledo and NW Ohio is because QB Ben Roethlisberger is from nearby Lima and Findlay and played, and perhaps because the Toledo Blade newspaper is owned by a Pittsburgh family. But still, majority OSU fans.

The other 25% - UToledo, BGSU, and maybe Notre Dame - many Catholics in this region.

A lot of the pro fans focus on Detroit, especially because of hockey.

Old 11-06-2018, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodeca View Post
I think the Steelers fandom in Toledo and NW Ohio is because QB Ben Roethlisberger is from nearby Lima and Findlay and played, and perhaps because the Toledo Blade newspaper is owned by a Pittsburgh family. But still, majority OSU fans.

The other 25% - UToledo, BGSU, and maybe Notre Dame - many Catholics in this region.

A lot of the pro fans focus on Detroit, especially because of hockey.
I'm sure these things have something to do with it, but also, for anyone old enough to remember, the Steelers were a huge phenomenon in the mid- to late '70s and they picked up a lot of fans as kids back then who still root for them today. Mean Joe Green, Lynn Swann, and Terry Bradshaw, among others, were household names then as folks like Tom Brady are today.

Old 11-06-2018, 02:00 PM

6,593 posts, read 8,907,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioJB View Post
Most of the people born and raised here that I knew were OSU fans. Most of the Michigan fans were transplants from that state. Was always surprised when I was a kid and met someone from Toledo born and raised here that liked the Wolverines. Didn't make sense to me.
In elementary school in Toledo they'd always make a big event out of the Ohio-Michigan game. Choosing sides, wear your colors, post your score predictions on the bulletin board, etc. I remember it leaning Ohio, but there were still a lot of kids who chose Michigan.

I don't think they were the children of transplants, but maybe they were just the kids who wanted to go against the grain. Or maybe Michigan was good those years and they wanted to be on the winning side.

Old 11-06-2018, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferraris View Post
In elementary school in Toledo they'd always make a big event out of the Ohio-Michigan game. Choosing sides, wear your colors, post your score predictions on the bulletin board, etc. I remember it leaning Ohio, but there were still a lot of kids who chose Michigan.

I don't think they were the children of transplants, but maybe they were just the kids who wanted to go against the grain. Or maybe Michigan was good those years and they wanted to be on the winning side.
I agree. I think that people today forget just how huge the Michigan Wolverines and Bo Schembechler were back in the day. Bo was their coach for 20 years (1969-1989) and compiled a 234-65-8 record, which was pretty amazing. Due to Toledo being much closer geographically to Ann Arbor than Columbus, it seems that Michigan won over a lot of NW Ohioans back during that era. I grew up in a small town west of Toledo and I can remember plenty of kids in my school being Michigan fans, and their parents were all born and bred Ohioans. This was during the Schembechler era.

Old 11-21-2018, 08:59 AM

57 posts, read 144,202 times
It was majority Michigan prior to Tressel. When OSU went on their winning streak the fair weather fans shifted to OSU, but I expect the pendulum to swing the other way and Michigan to start reclaiming fans in the region. The signs are already there that momentum is changing. Meyer is reeling, the team is losing recruiting battles to Michigan, and it feels like a rivalry again where either team could win, or one team could ruin the other teams season by winning. Not to mention Harbaugh will coach another 20 years in Ann Arbor and solidify the team. There are certainly grumblings that Urban Meyer is done in Columbus after this year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Toledo