Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Toledo
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2018, 07:19 AM

37 posts, read 56,098 times

Advertisements

I am curious about the estimated percentage of Toledo residents who support Ohio State vs the percentage who support Michigan. Is it roughly 50-50? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2018, 10:03 AM

4,861 posts, read 9,307,609 times
I don't know that there are any firm statistics on this. My guess would be more like 60% Ohio State, 40% Michigan, but that's just a guess based on living in this area my entire life. Toledo is obviously much closer to Ann Arbor than it is to Columbus, but it is also in Ohio and there is strong state loyalty.

Old 09-08-2018, 12:55 PM

89 posts, read 66,785 times
It's higher for Ohio State. Michigan tends to stand out so might seem like more than it really is but state loyalty goes strong. Great environment to be in to experience the rivalry!

Old 09-09-2018, 02:22 PM

896 posts, read 1,853,225 times
If I had to guess, I think 60 Ohio State, 40 Michigan is believable.

Old 09-10-2018, 07:33 AM

6,601 posts, read 8,979,609 times
Toledo sports fans are an interesting bunch in general. People don't really get hardcore into the minor league teams, and there's no predominate home team in any of the major sports or even college sports (UT, BG, OSU, and UofM all have big followings). Major league sports get a pretty even split between Cleveland and Detroit, but even that probably only accounts for like half the fans, there's lot of fans of other teams.

Maybe I just like it that way because I grew up with it, but I find it much more interesting than the bigger cities where everyone is a home team fan.

Old 09-10-2018, 06:59 PM

896 posts, read 1,853,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferraris View Post
Toledo sports fans are an interesting bunch in general. People don't really get hardcore into the minor league teams, and there's no predominate home team in any of the major sports or even college sports (UT, BG, OSU, and UofM all have big followings). Major league sports get a pretty even split between Cleveland and Detroit, but even that probably only accounts for like half the fans, there's lot of fans of other teams.

Maybe I just like it that way because I grew up with it, but I find it much more interesting than the bigger cities where everyone is a home team fan.
Right. I feel like NFL is a complete mixed bag around here. I might even see more Pittsburgh Steelers fans than anything else (Browns, Lions).

Old 09-12-2018, 10:37 AM

151 posts, read 413,812 times
Facebook data supports Toledo being Steelers country, but Facebook doesn't reflect everybody. I do think those about 40 and younger do have Steelers as the majority, while older folks tend to go more Browns or Lions. Tons of Dallas Cowboys fans around here too, and all the popular national NFL teams (Packers, Bears, Patriots, Raiders) also have fan bases.

You don't find THAT many fans of non-Detroit/Cleveland teams in the three other major sports around here, but they do exist. There are some local Toronto Maple Leafs fans due to CBC from Windsor being available on cable as well as over-the-air before the digital TV switch.

I do think 60/40 Ohio State is also accurate for the area as a whole, but it changes depending where you are in Toledo. West Toledo/Sylvania is closer to Ann Arbor so it's more like 50/50 there, but where I am in Oregon it's more like 80/20 Buckeyes.

Old 09-12-2018, 11:17 AM

615 posts, read 1,391,373 times
CBET is available over-the-air in digital. It may have seemed to "disappear" in the digital transition, because everyone switched to the digital tuner in June, 2009, but CBET continued in analog until September, 2011, when it went digital.
A channel rescan could put CBET (and TVO) back on your set.

Back to topic: Though I lived in Ohio less than a year and a half, I root for OSU, much to the chagrin of my father-in-law.

Old 09-12-2018, 12:47 PM

151 posts, read 413,812 times
Yeah, what I meant was since the digital switch CBET (as well Detroit stations) are very hard to receive here unless you have an outdoor antenna, which most don't bother with anymore.

Old 09-14-2018, 07:47 AM

148 posts, read 459,378 times
This NYTimes map suggests that it's about 55% OSU 20% Michigan in most of Toledo; the ratio just about flips when you cross the border into the Michigan suburbs of Toledo.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...41.653,-83.538

For basketball, there appear to be more fans of Michigan than Ohio State in the Toledo area.

http://img.gawkerassets.com/post/11/...arger-01_1.png
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Toledo