Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Toledo
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-22-2018, 08:07 PM

2 posts, read 3,140 times

Advertisements

Hello,

My husbands job will be moving us to the Toledo area. We are looking for a great school district and community to raise our family in. We aren’t big fans of a district/community full of wealth and politics. So far, we are most attracted to what Perrysburg has to offer and haven’t really looked at many other communities. We have seen communities where if you aren’t from that community you don’t ever feel welcome - trying to avoid those areas!

We also definitely like somewhat of a country feel and would never make it in a densely populated area.

Any help is appreciated!!! Unfortunately we do not know anybody in the area to get advice from.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2018, 03:21 AM

896 posts, read 1,839,240 times
Welcome to the area.

Perrysburg is a nice town and has a variety of different styles of houses and price points. Good schools. Sylvania is similar in my opinion. If you want to get less dense and more country while being around good schools and stuff....Waterville and Whitehouse (Anthony Wayne schools) are worthwhile too.

Last edited by Tobias C; 10-23-2018 at 03:34 AM..

Old 10-23-2018, 06:33 AM

4,861 posts, read 9,251,830 times
The most highly rated school district in the area can be found in Ottawa Hills, but it is a very wealthy (and probably political) village located in the midst of the city of Toledo and therefore densely populated for this area. They are in the top two or three rated school districts in the entire state but again, wealth, population density, and probably politics.

I agree with Tobias C, both Perrysburg and Sylvania are very nice suburbs with some of the top rated school districts in the area. They are both growing with the addition of new subdivisions on the outskirts and traffic can be congested in certain areas and more so at certain times of the day (Monroe St. in Sylvania, Routes 20 and 25 in Perrysburg), but if you are coming from a larger urban area you will still probably laugh at what we call traffic congestion in the Toledo area. Perrysburg offers more overall in terms of shopping and dining than Sylvania with a large cluster of national chain restaurants and big box stores on Route 20 and an upscale lifestyle center with shopping and dining, Levis Commons, and Costco on Route 25. Sylvania and Perrysburg both have cute, historic downtowns, again I think Perrysburg has the edge because theirs is bigger and they have the Maumee River as a backdrop. Perrysburg was founded earlier, back in the early 1800s when river travel was imperative because of the lack of roads in the area. Sylvania was founded more in the mid-1800s and as a country town that eventually abutted Toledo as both cities grew towards each other so it doesn't have a waterfront but is still a very nice, safe suburb. My personal preference between the two is Perrysburg because I love the river, but that's just me.

I also agree with Tobias C, that you should look into the Waterville/Whitehouse area in western Lucas County within the Anthony Wayne school district which is also highly rated though I don't think quite as highly as Perrysburg and Sylvania if memory serves. Waterville is a sleepy river town with a rich history. A major state highway and truck route used to run through the town but was rerouted outside of town so traffic is not an issue and it is very peaceful and safe. It doesn't offer the shopping/dining amenities that Perrysburg and Sylvania do, but Maumee (another suburb that borders Toledo and is very nice but more urban and with slightly lower rated schools) is very nearby and has another outdoor lifestyle center, the Shoppes at Fallen Timbers, that has a Dillard's and JCPenney as well as several smaller stores and a few restaurants. Perrysburg is also only about a 10-15 minute drive from Waterville.

If you really want the country feel, you could live on the outskirts of any of these areas. The Waterville/Whitehouse area is the most rural because it is comprised of two small towns instead of one large one. Subdivisions are also going up there, but they are more spread out between the two towns.

There are also some options north of the border in Michigan, Ottawa Lake (all rural/agricultural except for a very tiny "town" that consists of a few houses and churches), Bedford Township (consists of two smaller towns, Lambertville and Temperance but is completely built up with subdivisions between the two and has a total population of about 30,000 and a large school district), and Erie (rural/agricultural with a very small town), but those areas don't offer much in the way of shopping or dining, although they all border Toledo so amenities are not far away.

We raised our kids on five acres in Bedford Township. The southern part of the township is subdivision city but the further north you go the more rural it gets. We really liked it there but we sent our kids to a private school so I don't have personal experience with the school district. Property taxes are noticeably lower in Michigan due to the state funding the schools differently than Ohio but car insurance is higher so it's kind of a trade off.

I don't think that not feeling welcome would be an issue in any of these communities, by the way, because people here tend to be pretty friendly and all of the communities that we covered, with the exception of the two very rural areas I mentioned in Michigan, Ottawa Lake and Erie, have new families moving in due to new construction and good schools so you would not be alone.

Last edited by canudigit; 10-23-2018 at 06:41 AM..

Old 10-23-2018, 07:38 PM

555 posts, read 885,888 times
If your family likes nature and the outdoors, Whitehouse is very close to Oak Openings Metropark, 1000 acres of woods and prairie, with horse trails and camping available, and Blue Creek Metropark actually has a trailhead right next to the library. Waterville is near three Metroparks along the river, one of which, Providence, has preserved part of a 19th-century canal system. The Metroparks system has set a goal of having every Lucas County resident being within a five-minute drive of a Metropark.

Old 11-10-2018, 07:50 PM

2 posts, read 3,140 times
Thank-you for you responses!! It is much appreciated! Makes me feel good about the area already to have kind people giving nice insight ��

Old 11-19-2018, 01:02 PM

49 posts, read 192,599 times
I grew up in the area. I would suggest from what you've said that you'd like the Whitehouse area and Anthony Wayne Schools. We last lived in the western part of Maumee ("new" Maumee) and liked it very much, it's also Anthony Wayne schools. The go to suburban places historically for transplants moving into the area are Perrysburg and Sylvania. If I moved back to the area I'd be inclined to move to Perrysburg because I like a real downtown with shops and events and sense of community. Perrysburg has that for sure. Sylvania is also that way but smaller and runs right into Toledo which takes away from the separate community feel that you'd have in Perrysburg. Less country type property as well. All three areas are well stocked with people with means and all have good schools. All three areas are good for resale values as well. Always an important consideration, you never know where life might take you. You need to spend some time there to get a feel for what's right for your family. And politics, well you'll have that wherever you go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Toledo