U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Toledo
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-11-2019, 04:31 PM
 
Location: Marshall-Shadeland, Pittsburgh, PA
31,438 posts, read 70,435,739 times
Reputation: 17144

Advertisements

Hello!
So I live in Pittsburgh and love exploring Ohio. I've been to Cleveland numerous times for day-trips. I've been to Columbus (once) for a day-trip and have spent a few weekends in Cincinnati. I day-trip at least once per year in the Youngstown area as well and plan to explore Marietta and the Hocking Hills soon.

Then there's Toledo---a large city just sitting out there in the northwestern corner of Ohio that I know very little about.

I'm considering doing an overnighter in Toledo if you think it would be worth exploring.

Questions:

1.) What are some good neighborhoods to walk around in? I like sidewalks, trees, older homes, independent businesses, etc. What are Toledo's comparable neighborhoods to Over-the-Rhine (Cincinnati); German Village (Columbus); Ohio City (Cleveland); etc.? It looks like the Old West End might be it?

2.) What are some must-see local businesses? Coffee? (BleakHouse vs. Rustbelt vs. Black Kite?) Hamburgers? Sandwiches? Salads? Bars with cool cocktails (Adams Street Corridor)?

3.) What parts of Toledo should be avoided afoot for tourists? I like to just park my car and prance around the cities that I explore. Is this advisable in Toledo?

4.) Attractions? I'm intrigued by the Glass Pavilion and the Toledo Museum of Art.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-12-2019, 12:50 PM
 
547 posts, read 750,948 times
Reputation: 512
I recommend visiting the art museum and walking around the Old West End. If you want to wander a purely residential neighborhood, Old Orchard just north of the university is gorgeous. Just head west on Bancroft from the OWE. Wildwood Metropark on the western edge of the city (from Drummond in Old Orchard, head north to Central, turn left, and drive about three miles) features a 1930s mansion with a formal garden along with several miles of trails and good birding. You could do it all in a day and be back downtown for nightlife (about which I know nothing).
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-12-2019, 03:57 PM
 
6,490 posts, read 7,798,460 times
Reputation: 3763
Check out the Toledo zoo.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-15-2019, 04:44 AM
 
Location: Toledo, OH
880 posts, read 1,575,436 times
Reputation: 791
So theres definitely some cool things around our city...but you wont find them as concentrated together as well as in Cleveland, Columbus, and Cincinnati.

As far as spending the night. It probably just depends on how minute of things you appreciate and will spend time on. Toledo's not exactly some huge bustling city, but if you get enjoyment in visiting a place like Youngstown...I bet you can appreciate Toledo as well.

I'd venture to guess you know of our most well known attractions....The Toledo Zoo, Toledo Museum of Art, and Tony Packos...so I'll get on with answering your questions.

1.) As far as neighborhoods go, theres lots of nice neighborhoods as far as the trees, sidewalks, and old homes go. Old West End is the crown jewel. Old Orchard and Westmoreland would be the other two noteworthy ones in my opinion. The thing about your inquiry is that the independent businesses are missing. These neighborhoods dont have a primary business district or little main street of sorts that you would peruse. They're mostly just residential. The OWE has Black Kite Coffee but it's not alongside a bunch of other stuff. Old Orchard has a lot of local businesses in close proximity but they're along the periphery of the neighborhood, either along Bancroft by the University (Raza, Ferdos, Stubborn Brothers) or up at Westgate (Secor@Central) in shopping plazas that arent that walkable. Toledo doesnt really have any neighborhoods that are fully walkable and urban in my opinion besides Downtown. There are plenty of neighborhoods that have the bones to be vibrant urban neighborhoods but they're just either lacking in new development like where I'm at in Library Village, or are in poorer and higher crime parts of the city and lack investment as well.

While not in Toledo proper, dont sleep on some of the adjacent suburbs like Perrysburg, Maumee, and Sylvania. They're all cities with historic downtown's with cool old homes and cute downtown's with cool local restaurants, bars, and shops.

2.) As far as businesses to check out...

For coffee, in my opinion, its between BleakHouse on Adam's St downtown and Black Kite in the OWE. Theres also Rust Belt, Maddie & Bella, and Plate One which are all downtown.

When it comes to burgers, even I'm still trying to figure out where the best one is, but I suspect it's probably at a hole in the wall dive bar. In the past I've been a fan of the Four Horseman bar on Lewis in the Five Points area where I live. For sandwiches and salads, I'm super big on Grumpys (the Garbage Salad!) on Huron St in the Warehouse District downtown.

As far as bars go, if I'm interested in cocktails I'm probably going to either of the places at the Renaissance Toledo hotel downtown. Brim House is a cool modern restaurant in the lobby and The Heights is a really cool bar up at the top of the hotel with a patio overlooking the city. We also like Manhattans on Adams St, Uptown. When it comes to beer, I recommend Black Cloister Brewing on Monroe St downtown, or Maumee Bay Brewing Co in the Oliver House just south of downtown by the High-Level bridge. In fact, I would recommend the Oliver House in general. It's an old historic hotel that is now several restaurants and bars in its lower floors and basement, and apartments above. Its home to the brewery, an upscale steakhouse, a bakery, a sandwich/salad/lunch type cafe, and a sports bar.

Some other noteworthy spots in and around downtown off the top of my head....I like the Dirty Bird for sandwiches and burgers on St Clair by the stadium. Kengo on St Clair for sushi. Ottawa Tavern, The Attic, and Wesleys are bars that I like on Adams St, Uptown.

Other places I enjoy in other areas of the city... Schmuckers (old mom and pop diner with the best pies) on Reynolds in west Toledo. Cousinos Steakhouse on Woodville Rd in East Toledo and Mancys Steakhouse on Phillips here in Five Points/Library Village. Inside the Five Brewing in downtown Sylvania. Swig in downtown Perrysburg. And then of course a person cant visit Toledo without a requisite visit to Tony Packos. They now have multiple locations around the city but its proper to visit the original, in the Birmingham neighborhood at Consaul&Front on the east side. I dont even think Packos is that great but it's a Toledo institution.

3.) Theres a lot of areas of the city that are blighted and/or have a lot of crime. I don't know where you rank as far as street smarts go...but in all honesty any where you'll probably bother walking on foot is probably safe. The Old West End can be dicey depending on where you're at. The central core of that neighborhood that they actual consider the "Historic District" (aka the nice part, even though its all historic) is fine to walk around with beautiful old mansions occupied with lawyers, politicos, business owners, artists, and a sizable LGBTQ population.....but only a mere 3 or 4 blocks away and its drastically different. Blighted buildings, gangs, etc. Unless youre completely ignorant though your eyes and brain will understand the difference. Definitely not a reason to avoid one of the biggest collections of historic Victorian (among others) homes in America, and you can hit up the museum while you're over there.

4. Definitely do the Art Museum. Obviously the zoo is great (I love the architecture). Theres the Great Lakes Museum across the river from Downtown. The Toledo Botanical Gardens out in west Toledo are special especially at the right time of year. Our Metroparks are excellent. Wildwood Metropark is super popular but for good reason and even better is Oak Openings Metroparks which is out in the country near the Toledo Airport if you get the chance. Depending on when you're here...you can always take in a Mud Hens baseball or Walleye hockey game...both of whom play in very nice newer stadiums/arenas downtown. Definitely look up what events are going on when you visit as well. Theres always some kind of concert or festival or something going on somewhere.

Feel free to ask anything else!

Last edited by Tobias C; 04-15-2019 at 04:59 AM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-15-2019, 07:14 AM
 
6,381 posts, read 7,507,021 times
Reputation: 4312
I wanted to let the real locals chime in before I commented. I know SCR from the Pittsburgh subforum. While I still visit friends and family in Toledo a dozen or two times a year, usually spending a night or two, the last time I actually resided there was 15 years, so take my suggestions with a grain of salt. I'm somewhere between a local and a tourist.

I have to, of course, echo the recommendations of the zoo, art museum, botanical gardens, and Old West End. If you can get a tour of the manor house, that is worth it as well. I've only ever gone during the Christmas season when it's decorated. If you can see a show at the historic Valentine Theater, or go to a Walleye or Mud Hens game, definitely do that.

In particular you might like the zoo due to the old buildings, many of which were built during the depression as WPA projects.

I was just lamenting the lack of thriving core neighborhoods in this thread: Where to live near Toledo when you really want to leave?. That said, if you stretch the definition of walkable, and do a little bit of research on where you're heading instead of just walking around, I think you'll still enjoy a visit to Toledo.

Knowing that you enjoy walking around places like East Deutschtown in Pittsburgh, I think you might also want to check out Vistula, The Old South End, and even the East Side.

Vistula has some architecture similar to the Old West End, but even older...it's the oldest neighborhood in Toledo and is adjacent to downtown and some public housing, and it's frankly not a nice neighborhood at all. There are a handful of blocks that are OK, occupied by people who love the architecture and location, but it's mostly a blighted ghetto. Lagrange and Summit have the "bones" to become a bustling walkable area, but it's mostly vacant right now. I think you'll enjoy looking around seeing homes like this one, that sell for a song. It's a cross between Manchester, East Deutschtown, and Uptown (10-15 years ago).

The East Side - Honestly I don't know much about the East Side, it's usually viewed as the "bad side" of Toledo, but I think you might appreciate a quick look. It has some modest but dense housing and businesses. It's one of the only areas with row houses. You'll be there if you go to Packo's anyway, and the restaurants in International Park are pretty good and have riverfront dining.

The Old South End is a blighted neighborhood also adjacent to downtown. It has attracted a lot of hispanic residents in recent years, which has made it somewhat lively, in the sense that you probably won't be the only person out and about. It's definitely not Toledo's flagship neighborhood or anything, but there's a few taco places and Mexican bakeries you can check out, around Broadway and Western. I've heard great things about the Green Lantern diner, but haven't been able to make it there myself yet. The Oliver House is also in this area, an old hotel that's home to several restaurants and breweries now.

I would recommend taking Broadway Avenue from the Old South End, up to the Harvard Terrace neighborhood, where you can check out the zoo (park at Walbridge Park or on the street for free), continue up Broadway as it changes names to River Road, with some beautiful large riverfront homes, and take that all the way into Maumee and checkout downtown Maumee. From there it's a short drive over to Perrysburg.

One last thing, I don't know if this interests you or not, but the Maumee Antique Mall is gigantic (in an old Hills store). It's worth a stop if you like that sort of thing at all. Mayberry Diner is a local chain that I highly recommend as well. It might be you and a bunch of 60 year olds...but those 60 year olds know where to eat!

Last edited by ferraris; 04-15-2019 at 07:37 AM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-15-2019, 05:35 PM
 
Location: Marshall-Shadeland, Pittsburgh, PA
31,438 posts, read 70,435,739 times
Reputation: 17144
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebek56 View Post
I recommend visiting the art museum and walking around the Old West End. If you want to wander a purely residential neighborhood, Old Orchard just north of the university is gorgeous. Just head west on Bancroft from the OWE. Wildwood Metropark on the western edge of the city (from Drummond in Old Orchard, head north to Central, turn left, and drive about three miles) features a 1930s mansion with a formal garden along with several miles of trails and good birding. You could do it all in a day and be back downtown for nightlife (about which I know nothing).
Thank you!

I think the Art Museum and the Glass Pavilion across the street will be "must-see" attractions for me.

By "Old Orchard" you mean streets like Barrington Drive, Meadowwood Drive, Darlington Road, Pemberton Drive, etc.? I just toured them on Google Street View, and they indeed like very nice!

Wildwood Preserve MetroPark reminds me a lot of Frick Park here in Pittsburgh or Mill Creek Park in Youngstown. Looks nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
Check out the Toledo zoo.
Thanks. The zoo probably won't be on our "to-do" list. We're familiar with the zoo in Pittsburgh. We plan to go to the zoos in Columbus, Cincinnati, and St. Louis in the coming year or two as well. I'm not that big of a fan of zoos overall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobias C View Post
So theres definitely some cool things around our city...but you wont find them as concentrated together as well as in Cleveland, Columbus, and Cincinnati.
Thanks. I was given that impression viewing Toledo from Google Maps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobias C View Post
As far as spending the night. It probably just depends on how minute of things you appreciate and will spend time on. Toledo's not exactly some huge bustling city, but if you get enjoyment in visiting a place like Youngstown...I bet you can appreciate Toledo as well.
Toledo is about 3.5 hours from Pittsburgh, and to me that qualifies it as an "overnighter". I try to make 2.5 hours each way my maximum travel time for a "day trip". I think there's enough to do in Toledo for an overnighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobias C View Post
I'd venture to guess you know of our most well known attractions....The Toledo Zoo, Toledo Museum of Art, and Tony Packos...so I'll get on with answering your questions.
I actually hadn't looked up Tony Packo's before this thread. Thank you for the tip! Love hot dogs! I think it's a given that we'll do the Toledo Museum of Art and the Glass Pavilion across the street. Not so sure about the zoo since zoos aren't a huge draw for us (unless they're great ones like Cincinnati or Columbus).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobias C View Post
1.) As far as neighborhoods go, theres lots of nice neighborhoods as far as the trees, sidewalks, and old homes go. Old West End is the crown jewel. Old Orchard and Westmoreland would be the other two noteworthy ones in my opinion. The thing about your inquiry is that the independent businesses are missing. These neighborhoods dont have a primary business district or little main street of sorts that you would peruse. They're mostly just residential. The OWE has Black Kite Coffee but it's not alongside a bunch of other stuff. Old Orchard has a lot of local businesses in close proximity but they're along the periphery of the neighborhood, either along Bancroft by the University (Raza, Ferdos, Stubborn Brothers) or up at Westgate (Secor@Central) in shopping plazas that arent that walkable. Toledo doesnt really have any neighborhoods that are fully walkable and urban in my opinion besides Downtown. There are plenty of neighborhoods that have the bones to be vibrant urban neighborhoods but they're just either lacking in new development like where I'm at in Library Village, or are in poorer and higher crime parts of the city and lack investment as well.
Thank you. I'm afraid it sounds like we'll probably have to experience Toledo mostly via driving our car, parking, getting back in, parking, getting back in, parking, etc. I'm okay with that since I'm sure free on-street parking is ample in Toledo (perhaps sans for Downtown). We'll likely look for an AirBNB somewhere in the city and then drive to other neighborhoods from there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobias C View Post
While not in Toledo proper, dont sleep on some of the adjacent suburbs like Perrysburg, Maumee, and Sylvania. They're all cities with historic downtown's with cool old homes and cute downtown's with cool local restaurants, bars, and shops.
Thank you. I was interested in Perrysburg since the Belamere Suites was one place I was considering for a unique stay (we'd make it two nights for that!) I was also aware of Maumee but somehow completely missed Sylvania during my online search. I think I just sort of lumped Sylvania in with the sprawly-looking neighborhoods by the Toledo Botanical Garden (which I may also check out!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobias C View Post
2.) As far as businesses to check out...

For coffee, in my opinion, its between BleakHouse on Adam's St downtown and Black Kite in the OWE. Theres also Rust Belt, Maddie & Bella, and Plate One which are all downtown.

When it comes to burgers, even I'm still trying to figure out where the best one is, but I suspect it's probably at a hole in the wall dive bar. In the past I've been a fan of the Four Horseman bar on Lewis in the Five Points area where I live. For sandwiches and salads, I'm super big on Grumpys (the Garbage Salad!) on Huron St in the Warehouse District downtown.

As far as bars go, if I'm interested in cocktails I'm probably going to either of the places at the Renaissance Toledo hotel downtown. Brim House is a cool modern restaurant in the lobby and The Heights is a really cool bar up at the top of the hotel with a patio overlooking the city. We also like Manhattans on Adams St, Uptown. When it comes to beer, I recommend Black Cloister Brewing on Monroe St downtown, or Maumee Bay Brewing Co in the Oliver House just south of downtown by the High-Level bridge. In fact, I would recommend the Oliver House in general. It's an old historic hotel that is now several restaurants and bars in its lower floors and basement, and apartments above. Its home to the brewery, an upscale steakhouse, a bakery, a sandwich/salad/lunch type cafe, and a sports bar.

Some other noteworthy spots in and around downtown off the top of my head....I like the Dirty Bird for sandwiches and burgers on St Clair by the stadium. Kengo on St Clair for sushi. Ottawa Tavern, The Attic, and Wesleys are bars that I like on Adams St, Uptown.

Other places I enjoy in other areas of the city... Schmuckers (old mom and pop diner with the best pies) on Reynolds in west Toledo. Cousinos Steakhouse on Woodville Rd in East Toledo and Mancys Steakhouse on Phillips here in Five Points/Library Village. Inside the Five Brewing in downtown Sylvania. Swig in downtown Perrysburg. And then of course a person cant visit Toledo without a requisite visit to Tony Packos. They now have multiple locations around the city but its proper to visit the original, in the Birmingham neighborhood at Consaul&Front on the east side. I dont even think Packos is that great but it's a Toledo institution.
Wow! Thanks so much for this very informative culinary rundown! You really know (and love) Toledo! Impressive!

We'll probably do both BleakHouse and Black Kite to get caffeinated.

If I don't see an AirBNB that floats my boat, and if the Belamere is booked, the Renaissance would be my next choice for accommodations. I've seen great online reviews about The Heights. Seems like the classiest bar/lounge in Toledo. The Oliver House sounds promising for a grab-and-go pastry. I think I'd like to just see the interior of the building if nothing else.

Packo's: Toledo :: Primanti's: Pittsburgh (ferraris?)


Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobias C View Post
3.) Theres a lot of areas of the city that are blighted and/or have a lot of crime. I don't know where you rank as far as street smarts go...but in all honesty any where you'll probably bother walking on foot is probably safe. The Old West End can be dicey depending on where you're at. The central core of that neighborhood that they actual consider the "Historic District" (aka the nice part, even though its all historic) is fine to walk around with beautiful old mansions occupied with lawyers, politicos, business owners, artists, and a sizable LGBTQ population.....but only a mere 3 or 4 blocks away and its drastically different. Blighted buildings, gangs, etc. Unless youre completely ignorant though your eyes and brain will understand the difference. Definitely not a reason to avoid one of the biggest collections of historic Victorian (among others) homes in America, and you can hit up the museum while you're over there.
Thank you. Given just how far spread out Point A to Point B to Point C seems to be in Toledo I've accepted the fact we'll likely drive from attraction to coffeehouse to restaurant to attraction to accommodation, etc. It's fine. I have a small fuel-efficient car that's easy to park and fun to drive. I just prefer to park it once and then trot around exploring when I visit a new city. Maybe someday in the future Toledo will have a dense urban core of sorts between Downtown and the Old West End that will be a solid walkable 1.5-2.0 miles each way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobias C View Post
4. Definitely do the Art Museum. Obviously the zoo is great (I love the architecture). Theres the Great Lakes Museum across the river from Downtown. The Toledo Botanical Gardens out in west Toledo are special especially at the right time of year. Our Metroparks are excellent. Wildwood Metropark is super popular but for good reason and even better is Oak Openings Metroparks which is out in the country near the Toledo Airport if you get the chance. Depending on when you're here...you can always take in a Mud Hens baseball or Walleye hockey game...both of whom play in very nice newer stadiums/arenas downtown. Definitely look up what events are going on when you visit as well. Theres always some kind of concert or festival or something going on somewhere.
Yes, I'm now excited for the Art Museum. The Botanical Gardens are an option. Don't think we'd do a minor-league sports game (I love minor-league sports whereas my partner hates sports in general). How prevalent are ticks in NW Ohio? They're everywhere here in PA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobias C View Post
Feel free to ask anything else!
Thanks! I'll probably pick your brain further in the future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferraris View Post
I wanted to let the real locals chime in before I commented. I know SCR from the Pittsburgh subforum. While I still visit friends and family in Toledo a dozen or two times a year, usually spending a night or two, the last time I actually resided there was 15 years, so take my suggestions with a grain of salt. I'm somewhere between a local and a tourist.
Toledo isn't so overwhelmingly large that your credentials would be handicapped by not being a permanent resident. Please feel free to give advice (which I'll gladly take!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferraris View Post
I have to, of course, echo the recommendations of the zoo, art museum, botanical gardens, and Old West End. If you can get a tour of the manor house, that is worth it as well. I've only ever gone during the Christmas season when it's decorated. If you can see a show at the historic Valentine Theater, or go to a Walleye or Mud Hens game, definitely do that.
Thanks. Old West End and the Art Museums are on my "must" list now. I also like the idea of the Botanical Gardens and/or Wildwood Preserve MetroPark (probably one or the other). Still not sold on the zoo. I'd love to see a minor-league sporting event, but, alas, as I said above my partner doesn't dig sports.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferraris View Post
In particular you might like the zoo due to the old buildings, many of which were built during the depression as WPA projects.
Thanks. Still not sure if that would sell me on the zoo, but I'll read into it more via TripAdvisor, Google Reviews, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferraris View Post
I was just lamenting the lack of thriving core neighborhoods in this thread: Where to live near Toledo when you really want to leave?. That said, if you stretch the definition of walkable, and do a little bit of research on where you're heading instead of just walking around, I think you'll still enjoy a visit to Toledo.
Yeah, I read that thread after posting this thread. I really don't think Toledo is cohesive enough for me to just park my car somewhere somewhat centrally-located and walk around in a radius around it; however, I don't really mind having to keep moving my car around if the city has ample on-street parking. It looks like this is the case with Toledo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferraris View Post
Knowing that you enjoy walking around places like East Deutschtown in Pittsburgh, I think you might also want to check out Vistula, The Old South End, and even the East Side.

Vistula has some architecture similar to the Old West End, but even older...it's the oldest neighborhood in Toledo and is adjacent to downtown and some public housing, and it's frankly not a nice neighborhood at all. There are a handful of blocks that are OK, occupied by people who love the architecture and location, but it's mostly a blighted ghetto. Lagrange and Summit have the "bones" to become a bustling walkable area, but it's mostly vacant right now. I think you'll enjoy looking around seeing homes like this one, that sell for a song. It's a cross between Manchester, East Deutschtown, and Uptown (10-15 years ago).

The East Side - Honestly I don't know much about the East Side, it's usually viewed as the "bad side" of Toledo, but I think you might appreciate a quick look. It has some modest but dense housing and businesses. It's one of the only areas with row houses. You'll be there if you go to Packo's anyway, and the restaurants in International Park are pretty good and have riverfront dining.

The Old South End is a blighted neighborhood also adjacent to downtown. It has attracted a lot of hispanic residents in recent years, which has made it somewhat lively, in the sense that you probably won't be the only person out and about. It's definitely not Toledo's flagship neighborhood or anything, but there's a few taco places and Mexican bakeries you can check out, around Broadway and Western. I've heard great things about the Green Lantern diner, but haven't been able to make it there myself yet. The Oliver House is also in this area, an old hotel that's home to several restaurants and breweries now.

I would recommend taking Broadway Avenue from the Old South End, up to the Harvard Terrace neighborhood, where you can check out the zoo (park at Walbridge Park or on the street for free), continue up Broadway as it changes names to River Road, with some beautiful large riverfront homes, and take that all the way into Maumee and checkout downtown Maumee. From there it's a short drive over to Perrysburg.
Wow. Thanks so much! Very insightful!

I agree about Vistula. Looks like so much wasted potential. There's a handsome row of old (vacant) commercial buildings on LaGrange between Erie and Huron, for example, that could be a bustling neighborhood business district again. It's a shame it's all empty. Vistula definitely looks to be a neighborhood I'll slowly drive through but likely won't spent much time exploring on foot. I can definitely see the comparison of Vistula to a pre-gentrifying Manchester or East Allegheny/Deutschtown---just without having the benefit of ease of access to a walkable business district like Western Avenue or East Ohio Street, respectively.

I have an interest in the history of the Great Lakes, and, as such, I'll likely want to visit the National Museum of the Great Lakes in East Toledo. I'll probably also snap some skyline photos from International Park. I don't see much else (besides Packo's) that I might want to explore in East Toledo. I do love rowhouses. Can you give me some streets/blocks that have rowhouses on the East Side?

The Old South End (labeled "La Onda" on Google Maps?) sounds a lot like a flatter version of Beechview. Might be up for some tacos there!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferraris View Post
One last thing, I don't know if this interests you or not, but the Maumee Antique Mall is gigantic (in an old Hills store). It's worth a stop if you like that sort of thing at all. Mayberry Diner is a local chain that I highly recommend as well. It might be you and a bunch of 60 year olds...but those 60 year olds know where to eat!
Thanks! Not really into antiquing, but great suggestion. We'll check out the Mayberry Diner, too!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-15-2019, 09:08 PM
 
6,381 posts, read 7,507,021 times
Reputation: 4312
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Packo's: Toledo :: Primanti's: Pittsburgh (ferraris?)
Yes, they are both the "famous" food for the city, and they are both overrated Not bad by any means, just don't get too excited about it.

Quote:
Don't think we'd do a minor-league sports game (I love minor-league sports whereas my partner hates sports in general).
Does your SO like theater? It might be worth checking out what's playing at the Stranahan or Valentine when you visit.

And echoing what Tobias said, make sure you checkout the particular dates you plan to go. For example the Old West End Festival is coming up in June.

Quote:
Thanks. Old West End and the Art Museums are on my "must" list now. I also like the idea of the Botanical Gardens and/or Wildwood Preserve MetroPark (probably one or the other).
I would choose the Botanical Gardens. It's quite a bit different from Phipps in Pittsburgh, being spread across a large outdoor expanse. The gardens also have a small lithograph museum. Unless you can get a manor house tour, Wildwood is ultimately just a nice metropark. Nothing that different from the parks in Pittsburgh.

Quote:
Can you give me some streets/blocks that have rowhouses on the East Side?
For the life of me I can't find them. It was nothing particularly impressive, just a short block or two of modest homes, probably circa 1910. It's only notable just because it's unusual for the region. Main Street on the East Side is another stretch that has a decent amount of bones that are underutilized like Lagrange/Summit in Vistula. I'd probably just stick with your plan of Packo's and International Park for the East Side.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Bars with cool cocktails (Adams Street Corridor)?
I wanted to add that the nightlife around Fifth-Third field has really come a long way. If you go on a nice weather weekend night, it is actually pretty vibrant. The Adams Street bars are also worth a visit.

Last edited by ferraris; 04-15-2019 at 09:33 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-15-2019, 09:54 PM
 
Location: Arvada, CO
13,707 posts, read 26,383,934 times
Reputation: 13867
My TR from November 2017. //www.city-data.com/forum/toled...l#post50091788

__________________
Moderator for Los Angeles, The Inland Empire, and the Washington state forums.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-16-2019, 09:51 PM
 
547 posts, read 750,948 times
Reputation: 512
Definitely do the Botanical Gardens. Even now, when not much is blooming, they are a good place to walk. In a month, when the rhododendrons come on, the shade garden is spectacular, and in July, the daylily collection is nearly overwhelming.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-18-2019, 04:15 AM
 
Location: Toledo, OH
880 posts, read 1,575,436 times
Reputation: 791
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Thank you. I'm afraid it sounds like we'll probably have to experience Toledo mostly via driving our car, parking, getting back in, parking, getting back in, parking, etc. I'm okay with that since I'm sure free on-street parking is ample in Toledo (perhaps sans for Downtown). We'll likely look for an AirBNB somewhere in the city and then drive to other neighborhoods from there.
Yeah parking isnt a problem anywhere in Toledo, even downtown. You can usually find street parking easily unless theres an event going on, and outside of business/office hours, it's free.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Thank you. I was interested in Perrysburg since the Belamere Suites was one place I was considering for a unique stay (we'd make it two nights for that!) I was also aware of Maumee but somehow completely missed Sylvania during my online search. I think I just sort of lumped Sylvania in with the sprawly-looking neighborhoods by the Toledo Botanical Garden (which I may also check out!)
I've never been to Belamere Suites but I've heard it's a cool place for couples.

It's easy to understand that you would've got that impression of Sylvania. A lot of it is typical suburban sprawl. It does have a historic downtown Main Street and surrounding couple of blocks. The historic downtown of Sylvania is tiny compared to the old downtown plats of Maumee and Perrysburg though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
If I don't see an AirBNB that floats my boat, and if the Belamere is booked, the Renaissance would be my next choice for accommodations. I've seen great online reviews about The Heights. Seems like the classiest bar/lounge in Toledo. The Oliver House sounds promising for a grab-and-go pastry. I think I'd like to just see the interior of the building if nothing else.
I havent spent the night in many Toledo area hotels since i obviously live here and have no need...but it's a fairly consensus opinion that the Renaissance downtown is the "it" hotel. It's new. The building has been various chains of hotels over the decades but this is the first time in like...my lifetime that someone made it something special. The Heights and the Renaissance in general is pretty modern in style. If you do stay there, Brim House is also great. For another classy upscale and modern spot, check out Element 112 in downtown Sylvania if you go over there.


Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Maybe someday in the future Toledo will have a dense urban core of sorts between Downtown and the Old West End that will be a solid walkable 1.5-2.0 miles each way.
That's definitely the goal. The whole Uptown area (like everything from Michigan Ave to Collingwood Ave/OWE) has a lot of potential and theres plenty of historic buildings that still in need of restoration or that could be utilized better. Unfortunately theres also a lot of surface lots where buildings once stood....but I just see that as blank canvas ready for new development or parks!

The connection between Downtown and the OWE is growing already though chiefly along Adams St. I kind of feel like Adams St is the business district of the Old West End...even though its not actually in the OWE...just because I associate the Adams Street district with OWE people.


Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
I agree about Vistula. Looks like so much wasted potential. There's a handsome row of old (vacant) commercial buildings on LaGrange between Erie and Huron, for example, that could be a bustling neighborhood business district again. It's a shame it's all empty. Vistula definitely looks to be a neighborhood I'll slowly drive through but likely won't spent much time exploring on foot. I can definitely see the comparison of Vistula to a pre-gentrifying Manchester or East Allegheny/Deutschtown---just without having the benefit of ease of access to a walkable business district like Western Avenue or East Ohio Street, respectively.
Vistula definitely has the bones to be a really cool neighborhood someday. Although a lot of the housing stock or what's left of it isnt in good shape...what's salvageable could be restored and that which needs torn down could be easily replaced with new development in the style of what used to be there. Would be a good fit for townhouses and 3 or 4 story apartment buildings at a pretty tight density.

I definitely would caution about walking around. I mean I'm sure you would be fine...but it is a rough neighborhood with rough projects with gangs and all that, right there. Just something to be mindful of if you're poking around and looking super touristy, Residents would probably be like wtf are you doing around here. But that's just my 2 cents and it's up to you.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Toledo
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top