Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Toledo
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2019, 09:20 PM

1,636 posts, read 2,125,422 times

Advertisements

A study on a new rail service between Toledo and Detroit-Ann Arbor has been released with a recommendation for its implementation. It is possible that the speed would be 110 MPH - similar to the current Detroit-Chicago line.

http://www.tmacog.org/Transportation...04_24_2019.pdf

https://www.freep.com/story/news/loc...or/3495054002/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2019, 12:38 PM

6,597 posts, read 8,916,294 times
Wow...this idea has already gone much further along than I thought it would. Great news if it ever comes to fruition!

Old 06-12-2019, 07:08 AM

7,072 posts, read 9,544,492 times
What is the theory that many Detroiters are wanting to go to Toledo?

Old 06-12-2019, 09:20 AM

148 posts, read 455,571 times
I know many people who live in Toledo and work in metro Detroit and AA - for family, cost of living, etc. Probably quite a few Detroiters who work in Toledo too. I would take the train to the airport (no question), and I know many who would use it for their commute -- with cost and/or time savings - if last mile problems could be solved.

Old 06-12-2019, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodeca View Post
I know many people who live in Toledo and work in metro Detroit and AA - for family, cost of living, etc. Probably quite a few Detroiters who work in Toledo too. I would take the train to the airport (no question), and I know many who would use it for their commute -- with cost and/or time savings - if last mile problems could be solved.
I like the Alexis Junction. It could serve as a park and ride to solve the last mile for commuters from metro to Toledo to downtown Detroit and Ann Arbor.

Old 06-12-2019, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
What is the theory that many Detroiters are wanting to go to Toledo?
I'm sure someone said the same thing when I-75 was built

Obviously Detroit is the #1 destination and source of people in this plan, but it's not like the trips would be empty on the way to Toledo.

Lots of Clevelanders go to Akron. The Pittsburgh Post-Gazette just profiled Youngstown as a destination for a day trip. Look at all of the commuter rail around Chicago, DC, and NYC.

In the OP's links, it is mentioned that Detroit is concerned about not having enough talent locally, and being able to draw from Toledo would be a boon to local companies.

Old 06-13-2019, 12:00 AM

1,636 posts, read 2,125,422 times
What is funny about the proposal is that people in Ann Arbor and Detroit will need to disembark and make a connection to get to the airport, while passengers from Toledo will be able to get to the airport in a straight shot. It would be cost prohibitive to build a triangle line to divert the Detroit-Ann Arbor line to go directly to the airport because of existing lines. Hence, there is a need for a transfer stop.....sigh. But Toledoans are in luck - no transfer stop.

Detroit to DTW: 22 miles - 5 stops including transfer stop
Ann Arbor to DTW:27 miles - 3 stops including transfer stop
Alexis Jct to DTW: 39 miles - 2 stops and direct.
Suburbs such as Rochester Hills to DTW: 45 miles (no rail line)

In short, the rail line would be as beneficial or even more for people in the Toledo area than people in Detroit's suburbs for access to the airport. However, will people just rather drive? I'm sure a lot would use it to avoid inconveniencing people to drop them to the airport, or single travelers who would rather pay for an uber closer to home. Hopefully, the parking at Alexis Jct is free or much cheaper than parking at the airport.

It would be great to see more regional cooperation between Detroit-Windsor-Ann Arbor-Toledo. With the adjacent city of Windsor, Ontario and its suburbs, the combined Detroit–Windsor area has a population of about 5.7 million. When the nearby Toledo metropolitan area and its commuters are taken into account, the region constitutes a much larger population center approximately 6.3 million people - a fact that should not be dismissed. A high speed train would solidify the region.

Old 06-13-2019, 04:13 AM

896 posts, read 1,840,837 times
I would be super interested in a train from here to Detroit (especially to, or near the airport) if it was reasonably priced, as well.

Old 06-14-2019, 07:00 AM

7,072 posts, read 9,544,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferraris View Post

In the OP's links, it is mentioned that Detroit is concerned about not having enough talent locally, and being able to draw from Toledo would be a boon to local companies.

Those are just code words which really mean "we do not want to pay prevailing wages to obtain local talent". Ford just laid off many employees. Detroit now has a pool of talented individuals to pick from.

Old 07-03-2019, 04:42 PM

915 posts, read 1,493,594 times
I have to wonder how many people would use it in the Ann Arbor area, simply because Toldeo is already directly linked by 23.

I get the whole "you wouldn't have to drive aspect" and admittedly, it would be faster. And could be convenient for people who commute. But it sounds like it takes about the same amount of time whether you drive or take the train. I think that is what will make it a hard sell for some people. A lot of people still like the independence that driving gives them, regardless of drive times. They don't have to worry about a train breaking down or making it back in time for a train, etc.

For me, it doesn't make sense to go to DTW and then go down to Toledo, when you can just take 23 down and it's a straight shot into Toledo from Ann Arbor.

I also have to wonder how many people would just skip driving to AA and just drive to the airport to take the train. DTW would have to figure out more parking in that case.

I think a lot of people in the region would have to be sold on the idea. It's not a bad idea, but I think we are just used to the convenience of cars.

My family doesn't go to Toledo that often, usually just for a Mudhens game or two during the summer. So, practically, riding a train would depend a lot on the timing of the last trains out of Toledo on game nights. Especially, if you want to stay for the after game fireworks or a concert.

Like I said, it's not a bad idea, but getting people to change their thinking in this region is really hard.

In the end, I think that if it was sold as the train would take them from Ann Arbor to DTW, not Ann Arbor to Toledo, then it would be more of a draw for people in this area. (Maybe? ) I like the idea the more I think about it, but there are a lot of people who really resist any kind of change in this region. (And the minute you mention money and needing to pay for it, they start going nuts or just bat-crazy insane....)

A lot of business people in the area would love not having to drive to the airport. (Uber/Lyft would lose a lot of business if that happened too.)

There are a lot of Michigan Mudhen fans, but I'm not sure how many of them would drive to Ann Arbor or Detroit to take a train to Toledo. Especially, if they are already live closer to Toledo than Detroit or Ann Arbor. Or if you are like us, living near 23 and Toledo is directly linked on 23.

So, having a train to Toledo doesn't really sell me on the train, but I love the idea of a train to DTW. It would make my husband really happy not to have to drive to DTW when he has to travel for business. It's just an added bonus if it goes to Toledo or the city of Detroit as well.

Sorry if I'm jumping from point to point, just brainstorming and thinking about it as I type.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Toledo
View detailed profiles of: