U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Toledo
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2020, 07:08 PM

509 posts, read 806,849 times

Advertisements

I contacted the Alcazar today and unfortunately they don't accept pets. I can't surrender my dog Mollie to the shelter. The poor thing was in two shelters before I got her and being alone as I am, she's my emotional support. I may just have to either find an Airbnb for longer stays and when settled an apartment after that. There is an extended stay group called Woodspring Suites that has locations in both Cleveland and Toledo. Maybe the wise thing to do is stay in Toledo for a month at Woodspring and check out the area before deciding. Renhill Staffing staffs both cities as far as substitutes for the school systems.

I see a few of you here know a lot about the museums! I'm more or less a casual art museum fan. I did enjoy the grounds in Cleveland a lot. Beautiful grounds. I checked out the museum in Toledo online and their botanical gardens look beautiful also. I've forgotten the parking situation at University Circle; I think I rode RTA there.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2020, 04:37 PM

547 posts, read 751,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamian in nc View Post
I contacted the Alcazar today and unfortunately they don't accept pets. I can't surrender my dog Mollie to the shelter. The poor thing was in two shelters before I got her and being alone as I am, she's my emotional support. I may just have to either find an Airbnb for longer stays and when settled an apartment after that. There is an extended stay group called Woodspring Suites that has locations in both Cleveland and Toledo. Maybe the wise thing to do is stay in Toledo for a month at Woodspring and check out the area before deciding. Renhill Staffing staffs both cities as far as substitutes for the school systems.
Miamian, are you still in NC, or did you take the temporary rental in Toledo? I have been away from this thread for a while but can tell you that the Toledo Botanical Garden is one of my favorite places on the planet, and unlike the Cleveland Botanical Garden, it is free with plenty of parking.

In terms of rentals, if you don't mind funky old buildings (outlets in odd places, inconsistent water pressure, no elevator) a friend rented in a Twenties building in the 4000 block of West Bancroft, where Toledo runs into Ottawa Hills, a very wealthy village that somehow manages to vote blue on a regular basis. Just last year, the basement apartments were $525, heat included, and at least one neighbor had a small dog--don't know about the upper units. I don't think the building had a name, but if you drive around that area, you will see a row of apartment buildings and can look for "for rent" signs. The building was not wonderful, but walking in the neighborhood is like walking in a park. If you are driving on Bancroft heading east from the botanical garden, I am referring to the area between Talmadge and Evergreen.

Ottawa Hills is very safe, and lots of people walk dogs.

Old 09-12-2020, 09:02 PM

6,418 posts, read 5,757,746 times
Cleveland. (I lived there for 13 years.) When you're not in your house, what's outside makes a huge difference. Cleveland has all the cultural, culinary, and recreational amenities of a big city. It has a lot of rundown areas, but you won't live in one so you won't care. But you have to have a car. Public transportation is very inefficient, and not safe at night especially for a woman in her sixties.

Old 09-12-2020, 09:18 PM

6,381 posts, read 7,508,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Siegel View Post
Cleveland. (I lived there for 13 years.) When you're not in your house, what's outside makes a huge difference. Cleveland has all the cultural, culinary, and recreational amenities of a big city. It has a lot of rundown areas, but you won't live in one so you won't care. But you have to have a car. Public transportation is very inefficient, and not safe at night especially for a woman in her sixties.

On a $600 budget with a pet, I wouldn't be so sure. That's a restricting factor in both cities, but even more so in Cleveland.

Cleveland has more amenities, but cost of living makes a huge difference as well. OP is in the range where the difference between Toledo and Cleveland's costs is noteworthy.

Old 09-12-2020, 10:13 PM

6,418 posts, read 5,757,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferraris View Post
On a $600 budget with a pet, I wouldn't be so sure. That's a restricting factor in both cities, but even more so in Cleveland.

Cleveland has more amenities, but cost of living makes a huge difference as well. OP is in the range where the difference between Toledo and Cleveland's costs is noteworthy.
$600 should get a place in Lakewood, which is a very nice, hip, middle-class suburb right on the lake. That will be at the lower end of Lakewood's price range, but nothing in Lakewood is awful.

Old 09-17-2020, 07:50 PM

509 posts, read 806,849 times
I haven't been on here for a while but am still in NC. I am in a tiny in-law apt. in Chapel Hill with no lease. I wanted to get out of Durham badly so I came across this place. This place is just short-term but at least it' quiet and peaceful to continue my search here. I kind of wonder if it's a good or bad idea to go anywhere because of the pandemic but I hope to make the move before the holidays.

Old 09-21-2020, 02:04 PM

1,567 posts, read 2,672,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRnative View Post
One advantage for an art lover living in Toledo is that the Detroit Institute of Art is within easy day trip distance of Toledo, as is the University of Michigan art museum in Ann Arbor. The DIA is one of the best in the U.S., but it has faced serious financial difficulties compared to the CMA in recent years and the museum isn't as vibrant or technologically advanced as the CMA.
And this brings up an excellent point! Toledo may be one or two tiers below Cleveland, as one poster commented, but Cleveland is one or two tiers below Detroit/Ann Arbor, IMO. Toledo is only an hour away from Detroit/Ann Arbor and SE Michigan has so much more to offer than anywhere in Ohio.

Old 09-21-2020, 03:40 PM

9,598 posts, read 6,338,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J'aimeDesVilles View Post
And this brings up an excellent point! Toledo may be one or two tiers below Cleveland, as one poster commented, but Cleveland is one or two tiers below Detroit/Ann Arbor, IMO. Toledo is only an hour away from Detroit/Ann Arbor and SE Michigan has so much more to offer than anywhere in Ohio.

Baloney IMO, but I don't have time to waste arguing with you.

Health care, with the Cleveland Clinic and University Hospitals, alone distinguishes Greater Cleveland from Greater Detroit.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/ohio...hospitals.html

I also wonder if you've visited the Cleveland Museum of Art, Severance Hall, Playhouse Square, or the Blossom Music Center in the last five years. Despite its great collection, the reimagined and reconstructed CMA IMO smokes the DIA, and Detroit has nothing comparable to these other institutions.

Greater Detroit is superior to Greater Cleveland in university sports, but there are several Div. I programs in Greater Cleveland and Ohio State is only 2-3 hours from Greater Cleveland, depending upon residential location.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Akron_Zips_men%27s_soccer

Old 09-21-2020, 11:57 PM

880 posts, read 1,575,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J'aimeDesVilles View Post
Yeah I would love to know exactly what puts Cleveland a tier or two below Detroit.

SE Michigan having way more to offer than anywhere in Ohio is also a pretty bold, hot take that seems like it's very much steeped in personal bias. I'd venture to guess Ohios top 3 to 6 biggest cities would measure higher in most outsiders opinions versus Michigans. And Michigan in its entirety is a beautiful state, probably more so than Ohio is overall....but I wouldnt say the South East part of the state outside of Detroit/Ann Arbor is the best representative.

Old 09-22-2020, 05:14 PM

547 posts, read 751,135 times
And all of these cities are perfectly fine--wish we didn't have to argue about them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Toledo