U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Toledo
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2020, 05:29 PM

4,359 posts, read 6,347,367 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by J'aimeDesVilles View Post
And this brings up an excellent point! Toledo may be one or two tiers below Cleveland, as one poster commented, but Cleveland is one or two tiers below Detroit/Ann Arbor, IMO. Toledo is only an hour away from Detroit/Ann Arbor and SE Michigan has so much more to offer than anywhere in Ohio.

There is nothing about this post that isn't completely ridiculous. First Ann Arbor is not Detroit. They are two VERY distinct cities. The former is a small-ish college town about 9% the size of Cuyahoga County, while the latter is largely a vast, post-industrial wasteland which, while finally improving near the downtown area, is still clawing its way in the dark. It's a tragic situation and almost difficult to believe when you drive through it. Miles of blight, decay, abandoned buildings/homes, brownfields and urban prairies that seemingly go on forever. It's sobering, to say the least. To say that Detroit is a tier above virtually any US city, save maybe the likes of Gary, IN or E. St. Louis, is likely a complete falsehood.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2020, 12:06 AM

3,640 posts, read 3,636,963 times
There are a couple types of pro-Michigan mindsets at work: one says, just because Metro Detroit is bigger than metro Cleveland, it's automatically better which, of course, is ridiculous. The other has this way distorted view that the University of Michigan is Harvard and Ann Arbor is some kind of Cambridge, MA nirvana plopped down in the Midwest that outshines all the hicks around it.

Old 09-23-2020, 08:09 AM

6,751 posts, read 8,001,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheProf View Post
There are a couple types of pro-Michigan mindsets at work: one says, just because Metro Detroit is bigger than metro Cleveland, it's automatically better which, of course, is ridiculous. The other has this way distorted view that the University of Michigan is Harvard and Ann Arbor is some kind of Cambridge, MA nirvana plopped down in the Midwest that outshines all the hicks around it.
The University of Michigan is nothing more than a state university. Some in Michigan think it is an Ivy League school.

Old 09-23-2020, 08:43 AM

6,406 posts, read 7,635,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
The University of Michigan is nothing more than a state university. Some in Michigan think it is an Ivy League school.
C'mon...let's give credit where credit is due. US News ranks UofM as #24 in the nation, public or private.

The Ohio/Michigan quarrel gets tiresome. As a native Toledoan I'm no stranger to it, but it wasn't so deeply rooted and blindly followed in NE Ohio/SE Michigan as it seems to be in the rest of each state.

Old 09-23-2020, 08:48 AM

6,406 posts, read 7,635,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheProf View Post
Ann Arbor is 45 minutes away from Detroit. And it has the typical inflated prices of a college town. I don't think it should factor into OP's decision much at all.

UofM is certainly a respectable school, but unless you're a student or employee, that barely factors in to daily life there. For someone like OP, you could get the same experience of living in a college town in Kent or Bowling Green.

Old 09-23-2020, 01:19 PM

3,640 posts, read 3,636,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferraris View Post
C'mon...let's give credit where credit is due. US News ranks UofM as #24 in the nation, public or private.

The Ohio/Michigan quarrel gets tiresome. As a native Toledoan I'm no stranger to it, but it wasn't so deeply rooted and blindly followed in NE Ohio/SE Michigan as it seems to be in the rest of each state.
Don't get me wrong, U-M is an excellent school; no argument here. But Michigan people carry it a bit too far. To some there, both the school and the people who went there, act like both are God's Gifts... I spent a good deal of time in LA, and UCLA folks don't act like this (and it's ranked 22nd, even ahead of Berkeley on the US News list). And for the record, I cast a fisheye at US News' rankings, which place out-size weight on admissions, which is why several schools (including good ones like Wash U in St. Louis) were caught jacking up their numbers just to move up in US News' ranking. Even U.Va and UNC, both great public U's too, and are somewhat haughty about their academics at times (UVa moreso than UNC), but overall, their folks don't act like some Michigan ones, esp those around suburban Detroit. The Detroit media feeds this beast as well.

Fact is, practically the entire Big 10 (actually the Big 14 nowadays) or prestigious schools -- all but a few rank in Global rankings as among the Top 100 in the world. U-M is special, but not that special. Plus to some, they make it seem like the streets of A2 are paved in gold. And as you see elsewhere on C-D, some like to compare it with Cleveland and larger cities .... c'mon, it's a nice college town; but just that, a college town.

Last edited by TheProf; 09-23-2020 at 01:36 PM..

Old 09-24-2020, 01:53 PM

4,359 posts, read 6,347,367 times
Both the U of M and Ann Arbor are fine but completely irrelevant unless you have career or educational aspirations there. Neither are a reason to choose Toledo over Cleveland. Detroit's proximity could also just as easily be construed as a reason to not reside in Toledo.

Old 10-07-2020, 04:12 PM

1,576 posts, read 2,702,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland_Collector View Post
Both the U of M and Ann Arbor are fine but completely irrelevant unless you have career or educational aspirations there. Neither are a reason to choose Toledo over Cleveland. Detroit's proximity could also just as easily be construed as a reason to not reside in Toledo.
The two cities are only about 45 minutes apart. Plenty of people live in one and commute to the other for work. Additionally, Toledoans frequently go to A2 for dining, shopping, or sporting or cultural events at UM or EMU.

Curious. How would Detroit's proximity be a reason not to live in Toledo.

Old 10-07-2020, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRnative View Post
Baloney IMO, but I don't have time to waste arguing with you.

Health care, with the Cleveland Clinic and University Hospitals, alone distinguishes Greater Cleveland from Greater Detroit.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/ohio...hospitals.html

I also wonder if you've visited the Cleveland Museum of Art, Severance Hall, Playhouse Square, or the Blossom Music Center in the last five years. Despite its great collection, the reimagined and reconstructed CMA IMO smokes the DIA, and Detroit has nothing comparable to these other institutions.

Greater Detroit is superior to Greater Cleveland in university sports, but there are several Div. I programs in Greater Cleveland and Ohio State is only 2-3 hours from Greater Cleveland, depending upon residential location.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Akron_Zips_men%27s_soccer
Didn't know we were having an argument.

I don't recall seeing the OP stating she had major health issues so I'm not sure how relevant who has the best hospital system is. Any midsize city or large is going to have more than adequate healthcare. I've noticed most people in Toledo are fine with the systems we have here. In extreme cases people will go to UM for cancer treatment or CC for heart issues.

Art museums, theatres, outdoor concert venues, zoos, etc. - every major city has them! They all have their little specialties and nuances, but in the end it is just personal preference.

Adding OSU into the Cleveland mix is quite a big stretch, but if we are going that route Detroit can add Michigan State and Notre Dame along with UM.

Old 10-07-2020, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobias C View Post
Yeah I would love to know exactly what puts Cleveland a tier or two below Detroit.

SE Michigan having way more to offer than anywhere in Ohio is also a pretty bold, hot take that seems like it's very much steeped in personal bias. I'd venture to guess Ohios top 3 to 6 biggest cities would measure higher in most outsiders opinions versus Michigans. And Michigan in its entirety is a beautiful state, probably more so than Ohio is overall....but I wouldnt say the South East part of the state outside of Detroit/Ann Arbor is the best representative.
Size and national/global relevance put Detroit above Cleveland. Similar to Philadelphia/Pittsburgh or Minneapolis/Milwaukee.

Of course it's personal bias. That is all this forum is! But I have lived in Cleveland, Detroit, and Toledo and, yes, SE Michigan has more to offer. More history, more sports (pro and university), more and larger parks, Canada just over the river, more universities, larger downtown, larger concert market for attracting bigger artists/acts, and a larger international airport.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Toledo