Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Toledo
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2020, 02:35 PM

564 posts, read 1,041,612 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone. I need a fresh start as a freshly turned 62 y.o. I currently live in Durham, North Carolina, a place I've never fit into for various reasons. Prior to Durham I lived in the Cleveland area - North Olmsted, Olmsted Falls and Westlake. I left because at the time I couldn't handle the weather, having just moved up from Miami, Florida, where I was born.

I posted on Madison, Wisconsin too because I've been interested in that area too, with it being a university city and surrounded by water. However, so far my networking hasn't led me there. I need to move out of my apartment by the end of August as I won't be renewing the lease here. I'm thinking of either Toledo or Cleveland again.

What I'm looking for are nice parks to walk my dog, museums, especially art museums, festivals, ethnic restaurants, and of course Meetups. I loved walking my dog along Lake Erie, and in the Metroparks. I"m sure Toledo has a lot to offer too. My ethnic background is Hungarian, and I have read about the Hungarian presence in Toledo, restaurants, etc. Meeting other Hungarians isn't important to me but it'd be nice to enjoy a Hungarian restaurant now and then. I used to go to West Side Market in Cleveland when I lived there and I loved being able to get my pastries at Giant Eagle. Here in NC it's a desert insofar as anything ethnic except for Latino, Chinese and Indian.

I've been teaching ESL to adults on an online conversation platform, so I'll continue doing that but will need additional employment. I plan to register with the school system to sub or with temp office staffing agencies too. Given the state of things I will start receiving Social Security in August so that'll be a help.

I need to find temporary housing too till I get situated. I'm looking into airbnbs and the extended stay type places.

Part of me wants to go back to Cleveland because it's familiar but then the other part says to try somewhere new. Of course safety is important and medical too, medical not so much at this point. I have no desire to return to Florida. I have nothing to go back to there and the heat and humidity seem to get worse with age.

Does anyone have thoughts on which city might be a better choice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2020, 04:04 PM

2,539 posts, read 2,859,085 times
Sounds like Cleveland would be the far better choice. It's amenities/culinary scene/cultural institutions out-power Toledo's by a good margin. The lake access is much better in Cleveland too.

I went to UT for my undergrad and while I had fun, I think the city/metro is a solid tier or two below Cleveland, Cincinnati and Columbus.

Old 06-27-2020, 06:23 AM

Can you tell me a little more about how it's a tier or two below the other cities? I've never been there.

Old 06-27-2020, 08:39 AM

4,517 posts, read 5,090,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamian in nc View Post
Can you tell me a little more about how it's a tier or two below the other cities? I've never been there.
Toledo is a much smaller city/metropolitan area. It doesn't have anywhere near the size, retail, entertainment, arts, culture or prominence of Ohio's 3Cs (Cleveland, Cincinnati and Columbus).

Old 06-27-2020, 10:02 AM

11,610 posts, read 10,420,786 times
Check out the relative healthcare systems carefully. Those in Toledo seem problematic, especially compared to the Cleveland Clinic, one of the top healthcare systems in the U.S. and the world, and compared to Cleveland's University Hospitals, the second-ranked hospital system in Ohio.

https://health.usnews.com/best-hospitals/area/oh

https://www.modernhealthcare.com/fin...certain-future

https://www.medicare.gov/hospitalcom...GA&lat=0&lng=0

Promedica in Toledo is highly ranked.

https://www.medicare.gov/hospitalcom...AS&lat=0&lng=0

Cultural amenities (Cleveland Museum of Art, Cleveland Orchestra) are much better in Cleveland, but the Toledo Museum of Art and the Toledo Zoo are very good.

Have you ever been to the Balaton on Shaker Square? It's allegedly the best Hungarian restaurant in Ohio.

Old 06-27-2020, 07:23 PM

WRnative, thank you so much for the really helpful links! You always provide a lot of great information on these boards so I'm so happy you saw my post. Thank you to everyone else who has given me some insight also. Medical facilities are very important.

Toledo doesn't have a Rapid Transit system, does it? I used to enjoy riding RTA into Cleveland. I wouldn't ride it at night but it served its purpose during the daytime. What about the lake not being as accessible in Toledo? Do people swim in it in either city? I never would. Th temperature would never be warm enough for me but I enjoyed going there for nice walks, not down by the lake but above it.

I never ate at the Balaton. and believe it or not I never visited Shaker Square. I guess both cities have enough Catholic churches to pick from. I used to attend St. Brendan's and was in the choir there. I've tried joining a few choirs here in North Carolina but have never fit in there either. I can't figure it out, but it's been disappointing. Maybe St. Brendan's was just unique but we used to go out for pie after rehearsals and breakfast after Mass there.

Old 06-27-2020, 09:45 PM

14,669 posts, read 14,631,326 times
I can’t think of any reason to choose Toledo over Cleveland (or Madison), personally. Cleveland is still very affordable for a big city, especially outside of a few exclusive suburbs and certain city neighborhoods everyone is flocking to.
The day I was last there most recently, we had smoothies and coffee at a Middle Eastern juice bar, stocked up at the West Side Market, went book shopping, ate lunch at a non-GMO restaurant and had a couple at the Great Lakes brewery before heading back. And that was all in a two block radius. I don’t think you can get that in Toledo.

Old 06-27-2020, 10:59 PM

896 posts, read 1,852,553 times
I'm a Toledoan and a cheerleader for the city at that...but I would still say Cleveland is probably the logical choice for you as far as the things you desire are concerned.

Toledo is a great city. Especially for someone like you who would probably actually appreciate it for all it's worth and get the most out of it. With that said, nothing changes the fact that metro Toledo is only like a third of the size of the 3 Cs, if that, so its offerings are proportional.

You should definitely consider visiting sometime though to see for yourself.

Old 06-28-2020, 10:20 AM

555 posts, read 891,774 times
Weighing in as someone who has never lived in either city but has visited and loves both: Cleveland is "more" in terms of amenities, but it also has more snow and more traffic. Toledo may be more manageable if you want to get around easily (a biggie for me), though its transit system is much less developed than Cleveland's. Both areas have fabulous Metropark systems, but my nod goes to Toledo in that instance. 12,000 acres in addition to some nice city parks and some state and Nature Conservancy preserves. I agree with everyone else that medical care is probably better in the Cleveland area, but the air quality is better in Toledo, at least upwind of the refinery.

Old 06-28-2020, 06:25 PM

Is there a train system in Toledo like RTA in Cleveland?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Toledo