Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Toledo
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2020, 02:42 PM

54 posts, read 69,879 times

Advertisements

Particularly the area that is west of highway 280. I was applying to jobs outside of where I usually live through job boards, not paying attention to the location. I am not familiar with Toledo. The area I'm looking at looks sketchy to me (bared/obstructed windows) with an alarming number of registered sex offenders that outnumbers residents by 200:1? How is the eastern area?

I may be influenced largely by the news therefore getting imaginative about assaults and rapings. I want to ascertain what the area is like for the sake of my own safety as I'm a solo woman. I also drive a comparably decent car so worried that might make me stand out conspicuously as a target.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2020, 12:23 AM

896 posts, read 1,852,873 times
To the east of 280 is pretty much the city of Oregon. Anything east of Wheeling St, is pretty safe and decent. West of 280 it's a little more iffy. Some neighborhoods and blocks are alright, some are pretty rough. For your purposes, I can't see why you would need to bother with the east side. You can do much better. Quality and safety wise.

Old 04-20-2020, 03:22 PM

3 posts, read 3,557 times
Eastside is not as bad as its reputation.as with other sides of town there are good parts and bad parts.igrew uphere then moved away for 25 yrs then came back
It all depends o what you are looking for

Old 04-28-2020, 06:58 PM

30,894 posts, read 36,943,634 times
I grew up in Oregon, which is lightyears away from East Toledo, although just separated by the freeway (280)/railroad tracks.

Oregon is safe, clean, suburban (although a bit trashy in parts), but generally very pleasant. Lots of open space, not far from the lake, and great housing stock. Not much in the way of restaurants or shopping though....just the basics.

East Toledo, OTOH, is a disaster (mostly, with some exceptions). It's been in a steady decline since the 1950's. Terrible housing, streets, crime, and just miserable overall. But if you're looking for a bargain, houses there are a dime a dozen, but you'll not see any appreciation.

The further you get away from Toledo (going east) the better.

By the way, a previous comment about "east of Wheeling" is inaccurate. The Eastmoreland boulevard area and adjacent streets is quite lovely, if middle class. Quiet, well kept streets, and very conscientious neighbors.

The schools in Oregon are very good as well.

Stay away from EAST TOLEDO

Old 04-29-2020, 01:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
By the way, a previous comment about "east of Wheeling" is inaccurate. The Eastmoreland boulevard area and adjacent streets is quite lovely, if middle class. Quiet, well kept streets, and very conscientious neighbors.
I thought of that when I was writing what I wrote but the OP didn't seem to be asking about specific neighborhoods and what not so I made a general statement. I agree, that pocket of streets off Eastmoreland is nice.

Old 05-15-2020, 07:11 AM

911 posts, read 2,599,210 times
east toledo is really bad. the crime is just horrible

Old 08-17-2020, 07:15 AM

1,320 posts, read 2,698,090 times
Would you consider the Amtrak train station to be in East Toledo? If not, what neighborhood is it in? La Onda?

Old 08-20-2020, 09:23 AM

6,601 posts, read 8,977,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katnip kid View Post
Would you consider the Amtrak train station to be in East Toledo? If not, what neighborhood is it in? La Onda?
"La Onda" I have no idea how that name managed to get onto Google maps. It doesn't show up pretty much anywhere else in the web, and it's not like the neighborhood has a "Welcome to La Onda" sign or anything either. That area is the Old South End.

I'd consider the Amtrak station to be on the edge of Downtown. It's definitely not the East Side; that only applies to things across the Maumee River.

Old 08-20-2020, 08:17 PM

Like Ferrari said, kinda on the cusp of Downtown and the Old South End. Not really firmly centered in either district.

Old 12-18-2020, 03:02 PM

29 posts, read 88,667 times
Stay away. If you have to live towards that area, Oregon is a nicer and safer bet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Toledo